Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Book Collection: Scoogs

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I also picked up a custom bound copy of The Illustrated Dune. The slipcase is an intense "retina searing red" that will leave spots in your vision, but otherwise it's a very nice binding job. (I toned down the red in the photo to spare your vision.)

And finally, an actual Stephen King addition, the CD gift edition of Carrie.

Oh, and I also pre-ordered Logan's Run from Centipede Press today.
    Mark Twain

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Those are some great additions. Congrats.

Millionth Post Club racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45 is a splendid one to behold racerx45's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

very nice adds
    Perhaps I am simply a madman who dreamt of being sane for a little while.
    — Roland Deschain

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm reading Dune for the first time and your collection is suddenly incredible, I had no appreciation for it before.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    I'm reading Dune for the first time and your collection is suddenly incredible, I had no appreciation for it before.
    Hah! Glad to hear you can enjoy the portion of my collection now.
    I reread the original 6 books a couple of years back and that really reignited my interest in collecting the books.

I still have a long way to go, but I'm really happy to have so many of the rare editions already checked off of the list.

Are you planning to read all 6 books?
    Mark Twain

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Sorry to butt in... I've been planning on reading Dune for about 25 years now... I never get around to it... Maybe I'll try make it happen this year...

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Sorry to butt in... I've been planning on reading Dune for about 25 years now... I never get around to it... Maybe I'll try make it happen this year...
    Go for it!
    I had an English teacher my Junior year of high school who was a really big fan.
    It came up in class one day and he ended up adding a few days on the book to the syllabus that quarter.
    We had to get by with the David Lynch film and my teacher doing a detailed breakdown of where the book differed, but it was enough to get me interested.
    I finally had a chance to read the series just after I finished college.
    Mark Twain

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm very slowly picking away at Dune, it has become my go to "20 pages before bed" / " 10 pages on break" book. I'm about 360 pages into my BCE copy, and quite enjoying it. I have a few more on the shelf that I intend to read. Sadly I *think* I saw Easton Press leather/pleather bound Dune books at a Value Village (Savers for you Americans) a year or two ago and passed. Really wish I hadn't.

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I checked out Dune on tape (yes, tape!) a few years back at the local library and was surprised how good it was! How do the others in the series hold up? Also, Scoogs, how good are the illustrations in that edition? Just curious...

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

The first three books are probably my favorites and form up into a trilogy of sorts.
    A lot of fans like book 4, God Emperor of Dune. It's still good, but probably my least favorite.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed 5 and 6 during my reread. They take place several thousand years after the original trilogy and do some interesting things with the other groups that are seen in the original.

Keep in mind that Frank Herbert died before he actually completed the series, so there's a bit of a cliff hanger at the end of books 6.
    It still works as an open ending to the series, but there will be questions left unanswered.

Brian Herbert, his son, and Kevin J. Anderson have written a large number of prequels and wrote two books supposedly based on Frank's outline for book 7.
    There's quite a bit of hate among fans for the "McDune" books so it's definitely open for debate if they are worth reading or not.

killjoy, I actually haven't finished looking at all of the illustrations yet.
    If I have a chance this weekend, I'll try to take photos of some of them.
    Mark Twain

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks! Take your time, as I said I was just curious.
    I've always heard mixed reviews, although I think that's been for the series as a whole. I'll check out the next couple books and then decide from there.
    Nice collection, btw!

Traveler s_fletcher is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    Colin Meloy:

Barely visible next to Dust is a lettered and a numbered copy of The Grievous Demise of Mr. Whitley Rackham. There are only 200 copies total, included the lettered edition, and it was letterpress printed. Only the lettered edition is signed.
    Then we have a Wildwood ARC, Wildwood US 1st/1st, Wildwood S/L, Under Wildwood ARC, Under Wildwood US 1st/1st and a Wildwood Imperium ARC. I just got that last ARC earlier this week, the book won't be published until February.
    Wildwood is currently being developed as a stop motion animated film by the same studio that made Coraline and ParaNorman, so I assume that will help increase its popularity.

Zombies, Elves, Lawyers and Pigs:

The Zombie Survival Guide ARC (Cemetery Dance), World War Z 1st/1st (S/L and lettered editions of both are on order), The Children of Hurin 1st/1st, LOTR 50th Anniversary edition 1st/1st, To Kill a Mockingbird 50th Anniversary edition 1st/1st, Animal Farm Folio Society Edition.

Frank Herbert (Again):

Dune Leather-bound SFBC 50th Anniversary Edition limited edition, Dune Barnes & Noble Leather Edition.
    The SFBC edition is actually pretty rare and can be hard to find, especially at a good price.
    The B&N edition is also pretty well made for a mass market edition.
    I've been looking for a copy of The Grevious Demise forever! Where did you get that/are you willing to part with it for a large sum of money?

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by s_fletcher View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    Colin Meloy:

Barely visible next to Dust is a lettered and a numbered copy of The Grievous Demise of Mr. Whitley Rackham. There are only 200 copies total, included the lettered edition, and it was letterpress printed. Only the lettered edition is signed.
    Then we have a Wildwood ARC, Wildwood US 1st/1st, Wildwood S/L, Under Wildwood ARC, Under Wildwood US 1st/1st and a Wildwood Imperium ARC. I just got that last ARC earlier this week, the book won't be published until February.
    Wildwood is currently being developed as a stop motion animated film by the same studio that made Coraline and ParaNorman, so I assume that will help increase its popularity.
    I've been looking for a copy of The Grevious Demise forever! Where did you get that/are you willing to part with it for a large sum of money?
    I got the numbered edition from the printer when they were first released for sale and the lettered edition from Carson's store when she put them up for sale.
    I actually took the numbered edition to one of Colin's solo shows a year ago and had him sign it for me.
    Even he was a little surprised to see it.

Sorry, those two are keepers.
    Mark Twain

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Arrived today!

"This one goes to eleven!"

Fold out illustration of Bran:

Mark Twain

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Those look so good. Congratulations.

Gunslinger Apprentice Meagan J is on a distinguished road Meagan J's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very nice additions! That Game of Thrones is beautiful.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Man.. lotta nice books here!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Man.. lotta nice books here!
    Thanks, I really need to get caught up with my updates. I still have a few that I never photographed.
    Mark Twain

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Amazing addition! A beautiful copy of a great book.

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wow, those are amazing! Love that Naismith artwork, Scoogs!
    "God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Two!! Looks great. Where is mine already?
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Demon of the Prim Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest is a name known to all Priest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

the yellow looks fantastic!
    congrats!

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Here are a few I've picked up over the last six months or so and never got around to posting.

The Mime Order, signed first edition from Goldsboro.

A Frank Herbert bibliography.

Thinner Anniversary Edition to keep my matching set going.

The Zombie Survival Guide, lettered edition (this is for sale with WWZ).

World War Z, lettered edition (for sale with ZSG).

Mark Twain

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

This is one of my favorite recent additions, Logan's Run from Centipede Press.

This one was just released by Easton Press. I wasn't expecting it to be numbered.

The Folio Society just released a really nice 50th Anniversary edition of Dune. That's basically an automatic purchase for me. Fortunately I ordered early enough to get a first printing and the poster.

Cover art poster:

This edition has all new artwork. About time someone did some new illustrations.
    A couple of samples:

Mark Twain

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

Thumbs Up. The Thinner-art looks great! The Dune also really cool art!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast