Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Red Sox vs.The Cardinals in the World Series!!!

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Fun game tonight. Moving on to the 9th!

Gunslinger Apprentice Walkingman79 is on a distinguished road Walkingman79's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Weak call......just weak.
    Suppose that all worlds, all universes, met at a single nexus, a single pylon, a Tower.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

He tripped over the beard. I saw it!!
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe a weak call but 3rd bases legs certainly did kick up.

Gunslinger Apprentice Walkingman79 is on a distinguished road Walkingman79's Avatar

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

C'mon. Legs kicked up a couple inches after he pushed down on his back because he tripped on his own but all that aside the umpire blew the call.
    Suppose that all worlds, all universes, met at a single nexus, a single pylon, a Tower.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

That's always a tricky call. I've seen it called both ways but rarely in such a big spot. I'm going to go look up the actual rule.

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

It looks like maybe he raises the legs a bit but I still don't know. I've watched a few times and in real time I don't know what else Middlebrooks can do there. It doesn't sit well but the call was made and they have to move on quickly. Game 4 tomorrow night. Pretty much a must win for the Sox.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

From the official MLB rule book:

"Obstruction (Rule 7.06) is called when the defense hinders the runner’s ability to run the bases. There are two different applications of the rule. One causes an immediate dead ball and the other is delayed dead. If a play is being made on a runner who is obstructed, the ball is immediately dead. If no play is being made the ball is delayed dead. A play, for purposes of this rule is when the ball is being thrown, or is in-flight, heading toward the base to which the runner is heading, an attempted tag, or when the runner is caught in a run-down. The rulebook definition is:
    "OBSTRUCTION is the act of a fielder who, while not in possession of the ball and not in the act of fielding the ball, impedes the progress of any runner.
    If a fielder is about to receive a thrown ball, and if the ball is in flight, directly toward, and near enough to the fielder, so he must occupy his position to receive the ball, he may be considered "in the act of fielding a ball." It is entirely up to the judgment of the umpire, as to whether a fielder is in the act of fielding a ball. After a fielder has made an attempt to field a ball, and has missed, he can no longer be in the "act of fielding" the ball. For example: an infielder dives at a ground ball and the ball passes him and he continues to lie on the ground and delays the progress of the runner, he very likely has obstructed the runner."
    A fake tag is considered obstruction. A fake tag is when the fielder is at a base and takes an action that simulates an attempted tag, which causes the runner to slow down or slide. Faking a catch of a ball while not near a base or the basepath, is not a fake tag.
    The fielder may stand in the basepath without the ball IF the throw is almost to him, and he needs to move there to catch the ball. This is considered “the act of fielding.” However, he may not actually block access to the base until he has possession of the ball, or starts the act of fielding. Until he has possession, or becomes “in the act of fielding” the ball, he must give the runner some way to get to the base.
    It is never obstruction when the fielder is in the base path while he is attempting to field a batted ball. Obstruction only applies when the fielder is in the path for no reason, or is in the path prior to being in the act of fielding a throw, or does not have possession of the ball.
    A fielder's "attempt to field" a batted ball ends immediately upon missing or deflecting the ball and such fielder must, in effect, disappear or risk obstruction.?

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Sometimes there is no intent, but the calls are still made. Rules be rules! :-)
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed. It's a shame the game ended this way however I truly thing it was the right call.

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    Sometimes there is no intent, but the calls are still made. Rules be rules! :-)

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Okay so now we have the definition of obstruction of the base runner. Here's the thing,the more I watch the play the less I agree with the call. He could have gotten up and ran straight down the baseline but he sold it well and made it three feet inside that line and. I personally think it should have been a no-call but my opinion means jack. I feel they can use this as motivation to just kick some a$$ and this is a team that can catch fire and go on a tear. Tonight we have Clay Buchholz vs. Lance Lynn. Need the beards to bounce back with a statement game tonight!!! Let's go Red Sox!

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

It was a gutsy win!! What a crazy World Series!! Game 5 comin' up!! Go Sox!

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Yep first time I saw a game end on a pickoff move!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Richie Tozier View Post
    Okay so now we have the definition of obstruction of the base runner. Here's the thing,the more I watch the play the less I agree with the call. He could have gotten up and ran straight down the baseline but he sold it well and made it three feet inside that line and. I personally think it should have been a no-call but my opinion means jack. I feel they can use this as motivation to just kick some a$$ and this is a team that can catch fire and go on a tear. Tonight we have Clay Buchholz vs. Lance Lynn. Need the beards to bounce back with a statement game tonight!!! Let's go Red Sox!
    As a long time Sox fan, I must admit that the call was good one as it currently written. The problem is that the rule itself is horse-expicative! My guess is that the rule will change in the off season to reflect intent so at least the umpires will have to judge it on a case-by-case basis - this could be a problem in the long run. At least we got one back with last night's pickoff!

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

Monday night under the lights we have lefty ace John Lester vs. right hander Adam Wainwright in a rematch of Game 1!! Last night was awesome!! Keep it going boys!!

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

..... Sai King is a diehard Red Sox fan.

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

What a dominant performance by Jon Lester, and Big Papi is just amazing! Batting over .700 at his age! I just hope that some of the Boston Strong mentality comes out in game six!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm not quite sure why they keep giving Ortiz anything to hit. It's not like he has Manny Ramirez hitting behind him. I'd rather let anybody else on that team beat me besides him. Matheny should know better.

Also, the three straight curveballs to Drew last night from Wainwright drove me crazy. You've got to throw him a fastball there. Drew has been struggling. I understand the idea is that Ross is an awful hitter (probably somewhere around .200 for his career) but I still try to get Drew there.

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

"Sweet Caroline....bah bah bah.....Good times never seemed so good...so good! so good!"

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Merlin should burn a copy of "Faithful" every year.

My Mood
    Mellow
    Country
    Country Flag

The Red Sox are world champs!! Papi is MVP!! It was a fun year to watch and a good group of ball players to root for. Fire up the duck boats!!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

A fitting ending that began in April with the marathon bombing. In the words of Big Papi - this is our "beeping" city. No one can take this one away from us - no one!

Little Bird Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai has a spectacular aura about Ka-mai's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well, it was a great series. I felt the last game was slightly disappointing because the Cards didn't even seem to be there most of the time, but most of the other games were just brilliant. I wish there was more. Ortiz and Pedroia were just amazing the entire time, and I'm glad Papi got MVP.

I'm extremely depressed about the prospect of an Ellsbury-less team next year.
    A lady always remembers her courtesies.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sansa Stark View Post
    Well, it was a great series. I felt the last game was slightly disappointing because the Cards didn't even seem to be there most of the time, but most of the other games were just brilliant. I wish there was more. Ortiz and Pedroia were just amazing the entire time, and I'm glad Papi got MVP.

How do you think he will look in a Yankees uniform? Really depressing thought!

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sansa Stark View Post

Congratulations to the Boston Red Sox. Only 19 more to go.

Actually, the Red Sox could look quite different next year. I think they are going to lose Ellsbury, Salty, and Napoli.

The Sox also got a lot out of a few players that I don't think anybody was expecting. Quite a few career years. Take Daniel Nava for example. He was cut by the Sox in 2011 and was a career .240 hitter. This year he broke out at the age of 30 and hit .300. Not sure if that will happen again or if he will come back down to earth.

Mike Carp is another guy. He hit .213 last year for the M's. This year he almost .300. I'm also interested in Koji Uehara. He's always been a good reliever, but he was on a different level as the Boston closer. He will be 39 on opening day and I find it hard to believe he will be as dominant as he was in 2013.

Also, and I know this is hard for Sox fans to believe, but one of these years Big Papi is going to show signs of decline (like he did a few years ago when the Sox were days away from cutting him). He also turns 38 in November.

Of course, the Sox still have a good core of players and seemed poised to hand over roles to some of their prospects like Jackie Bradley Jr. and Xander Bogaerts, who looked great in the playoffs. They also still have Middlebrooks, but from what I hear, they haven't been thrilled with him at times.

I'm sure the Sox will go out and make some good free agent signings, but even the most die hard Sox fan has to admit that this team just jelled perfectly this year. I'm not saying it can't happen again, I'm just saying it's going to be very hard to capture that same magic. They will still be very good, as long as they still have Lester & Buchholz. I also doubt Lackey will be as effective next year.

But all that is for another day. Enjoy the victory now.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast