Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Who is Andre Linoge? *Spoilers maybe?*

Gunslinger Apprentice Tik will become famous soon enough Tik's Avatar

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think you are looking at it in too "Literal" terms and not in the interpetive manner that I feel "Legion" is intended. By definition "Legion" is one of many. It's also a sly way for the Devil to confuse and deceive his target. Also I did not mean to suggest that "Legion" was made up of the Crimson King's Army. Not at all. Through out literature "Legion" is suggested as another name for the Devil and/or his demon cabinet, so to speak. I really suck at trying to type out my thoughts, but I hope you get my gist.
    Don't worry, I get what you're saying .

The thing is though if we use the interpretive manner, Flagg's multiple appearances throughout time and space could be interpreted as fulfilling that definition (each Flagg is part of that Legion of Flagg's) Or it could be interpreted that the Bible quote can also been taken literally, and that the demon Flagg is actually made up of multiple demons inside of him, all acting as an individual (might also explain how Ralph became demonic in the end, if Flagg allowed a few of 'em to reside in him).

There could be lots, which is why I resorted to Occams Razor.

Two questions, and I mean no offense what so ever, Have you read "The Exorcist & Legion"? Can you reference where "Legion" was used definitively to identify an individual in literature. I'm curious. I consider myself fairly well read and cannot recall an instance where this was the case. I would appreciate the education. You learn something everyday I say.
    Alas I haven't, though I've seen the films that were based on these works.

As to individuals, examples include the demon Legion from the Xena comics, who was a definitive individual:

http://www.comicvine.com/xena-warrio...on/4000-48255/

The character of Legion from the Special Executive was also an individual, albeit an individual able to summon multiple versions of himself from along his time stream into the "present".

Individuals capable of absorbing souls can also identify themselves as Legion (such as the demon Blackheart in the Ghost Rider film).

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tik View Post
    Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but I think you are looking at it in too "Literal" terms and not in the interpetive manner that I feel "Legion" is intended. By definition "Legion" is one of many. It's also a sly way for the Devil to confuse and deceive his target. Also I did not mean to suggest that "Legion" was made up of the Crimson King's Army. Not at all. Through out literature "Legion" is suggested as another name for the Devil and/or his demon cabinet, so to speak. I really suck at trying to type out my thoughts, but I hope you get my gist.
    Don't worry, I get what you're saying .

The thing is though if we use the interpretive manner, Flagg's multiple appearances throughout time and space could be interpreted as fulfilling that definition (each Flagg is part of that Legion of Flagg's) Or it could be interpreted that the Bible quote can also been taken literally, and that the demon Flagg is actually made up of multiple demons inside of him, all acting as an individual (might also explain how Ralph became demonic in the end, if Flagg allowed a few of 'em to reside in him).

There could be lots, which is why I resorted to Occams Razor.

I can see Flagg as "Legion" and even interpet that his multiple forms throughout the Multi-verse make him "One of many". It's a little bit of a stretch, but a case could be made for it. I just don't see, Linoge as that despite what he claimed. One thing that is definitive to me is that neither is immortal. To me that's a deal breaker.

Two questions, and I mean no offense what so ever, Have you read "The Exorcist & Legion"? Can you reference where "Legion" was used definitively to identify an individual in literature. I'm curious. I consider myself fairly well read and cannot recall an instance where this was the case. I would appreciate the education. You learn something everyday I say.
    Alas I haven't, though I've seen the films that were based on these works.

As to individuals, examples include the demon Legion from the Xena comics, who was a definitive individual:

http://www.comicvine.com/xena-warrio...on/4000-48255/

The character of Legion from the Special Executive was also an individual, albeit an individual able to summon multiple versions of himself from along his time stream into the "present".

Individuals capable of absorbing souls can also identify themselves as Legion (such as the demon Blackheart in the Ghost Rider film).
    Again, no offense intended, but I do not consider comics "Literature". I'm not being a snob, I enjoy a comic now and again like anyone, but I was thinking more along the lines of published works of fiction like King, Milton, Blatty, Poe or Lovecraft for instance. The same opinion holds for films.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

anyone considered the name "Andre Linoge" itself? I'm keen on anagrams (as some of you are aware) and you can get some interesting ones out of it.

Ignoring the fact that Linoge is obviously an anagram of 'Legion', the next most obvious for the full name is 'Orange Lined', but unless he has a taste in spiffy suits, that doesn't really point to anything. You can also get "Edgar Online" again not seemingly related. If we mix in some Italian however we can get "Red Angelino" which could be read as "Red Messenger of God". Now that I find interesting...
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears like this approach

definitely time they read the book at last

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have finally finished the book.

If I had accomplished this incredible task earlier, I would have given it my first and only zero in CRA. I'll do it next year.

This book should have never been published. The screenplay format doesn't give King any opportunity to show what he is best at - this "hole in the page", as defined in Misery, this aptitude to involve the reader in the story. As a writer of prose, he writes impeccable, powerful dialog - but it is because he knows how to parse it, how to make it work inside the flow of prose. Without this background, the dialog is dead, and the characters made of cardboard. And the story is so puerile! Even without the unnecessary and totally stupid last twenty or so pages, when the story goes on long after it is finished. I understand that it must be okay for a typical B-movie; but I repeat, it should have never been published.

Thus, I my only answer to the title question of this thread is "I couldn't care less."
    In a couple week it will evolve into, "Really, who is Andre Linoge?" - not because I'll be interested, but because everything about this effort will be totally forgotten.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Did you enjoy the mini-series?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

No, I didn't see it. Do you think I should?

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Personally I loved it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I thought the Mini-Series was superb! Of course reading a screenplay is tough at best. Go see somehow! Get the DVD whatever it takes. It's good!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Country
    Country Flag

if their dearest friends say so, bears will have to see what they can do

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

To be honest, I've collected the published version merely to satisfy my collecting compulsion, but I have never read it since I saw the TV film. It was a little better, IMHO than most King TV movie's. I can imagine reading the screenplay as not being very fulfilling.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Traveler pewpewpew is on a distinguished road

i know this old but here goes. I hate the thought that Linoge is somehow an alternate persona of Flagg but with King's double fail ending of the DT books i've realized my opinion of King's creativity was too high so I will relent and add something else of possible relevance linking Linoge to Flagg.

In the movie there are "weirding stones" in the town hall meeting used by Linoge to decide which child he'd take. The black stone in particular looks identical to the stone(s) used in The Stand when Flagg was making his pacts with his lieutenants.. particularly Lloyd.

Traveler Mr Awesome is on a distinguished road

Default Is Stu in the Stand really Ralphy from Storm?

In the last scene of the movie the Stand, Stu holds up the dreaded dog cane Linoge weilds.

Traveler Mr Awesome is on a distinguished road

Is Stu from the Stand really Ralphy from Storm? In the last scene of the Stand Stu is holding Linoge's dreaded dog cane in the hospital.

I understand that it must be okay for a typical B-movie; but I repeat, it should have never been published.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2