Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Was it hard for you to read this book?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was incredibly hard. It's a miracle I could finish it at all.

2 1.77%
  • Yes, it was a bit hard. I had to take some breaks.

19 16.81%
  • No, it wasn't. It was okay.

17 15.04%
  • No, not at all. I found it very interesting.

75 66.37%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Was it hard for you to read this book?

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

wow, this question brings me back... I Love the dark tower series. But I actually put the gunslinger down and was very disappointed on first read. When i picked it up again i muscled thru the first 100 pages and I was HOOKED!

Breaker Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger will become famous soon enough Storyslinger's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm probably one of those that couldn't put it down.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I couldn't put it down either. It was a fast read for me, and I loved it.
    As I've said before though....it wasn't The Gunslinger that got me hooked on The Dark Tower...that was Book 2.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I fell in Love with this book and the full series as soon as I saw the book. I was just drawn to this for some reason. I don't understand why anyone would not like The Gunslinger

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Me neither!

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mia/susannah View Post
    I fell in Love with this book and the full series as soon as I saw the book. I was just drawn to this for some reason. I don't understand why anyone would not like The Gunslinger
    Lack of taste.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

We all are different. I am sure LoR is a great series but I simply can't read it.
    I hope one day I will be able to finish it. Still I don't think I have a bad taste.

Roland would have understood.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

No, Letti your taste is impeccable, believe me.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Citizen of Gilead blackrose22 is on a distinguished road blackrose22's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When reading it for the first time I loved it from start. But I didn't read it out of choice as my sister bought it for me for Christmas knowing I was a big SK fan already. I use to pick up the book the odd time in the book shop and read the blurb on the back and it never gripped me to want to buy it and read it. I'd end up buying another SK book instead. I did that for a couple of years and kicked myself for not buying it myself after finishing the book. So I've got my sister to thank for introducing me to Roland and his strange but beautiful world. I would've gotten round to it sometime when I'd run out of SK books to read.

Citizen of Gilead Ka-tet is on a distinguished road Ka-tet's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I found this book quite difficult to read at parts, once or twice i stopped for a week or two at a time. I even read another book while i was in the middles of the ginslinger. But it is understandable that i found this book hard to read, i really hadnt matured very much when it comes to reading. I belive the dark tower helped me along that path.
    If you love me, then love me-Susan of mejis
    See the turtle, aint he keen? All things serve the fucking beam-Eddie of NewYork
    You burn prettily-Corwin of Amber

Gunslinger Apprentice what is on a distinguished road what's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I absolutely loved the book, I couldn't put it down! My "addiction" was so bad my wife would get mad that all I was doing was reading the book!

Mother of Dragons Erin will become famous soon enough Erin will become famous soon enough Erin's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I hear you what! From the moment I picked the book up and read that famous first line I was hooked.

Same here. I almost commited the mistake of reading Drawing first. I'm glad I saw that there was a book before it.

Citizen of Gilead jemaher will become famous soon enough jemaher will become famous soon enough

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

It is amazing how much more i enjoyed gunslinger when i reread it 15 years later.

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    people who don't get the Simpsons.
    DOES NOT COMPUTE.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jemaher View Post
    It is amazing how much more i enjoyed gunslinger when i reread it 15 years later.
    I hope in another 15 years I will, too. (hasn't happened yet)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jemaher View Post
    I hope in another 15 years I will, too. (hasn't happened yet)
    Have you tried to reread it?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes. I didn't actually hate it this time, because in the light of the other volumes it became marginally better, but I still did not like it.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe in 15 years... I am sure you will be in love with it one day, Jean. *smiles widely*

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Not at all.

Of course, I read the revised and expanded edition, but still--I'm not a big fan of Westerns as a rule, but I found I was able to pay attention to what was going on, for the most part, and it got me interested.

The only real trouble, and that's my fault, not the King's, is that I have difficulty re-orienting myself, as with flashbacks (and there were several of those, as you all know). I had to go back and re-read to make sure I knew where I was, and I also didn't want to forget where the "present" was, either....

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    is that I have difficulty re-orienting myself, as with flashbacks (and there were several of those, as you all know). I had to go back and re-read to make sure I knew where I was, and I also didn't want to forget where the "present" was, either....
    This is pretty common with a lot of folk when reading this book. There are several flashbacks on top of each other right at the beginning which is unusual. For me it enhanced the dream-like quality of the book.

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by All_Hail_The_Crimson_King View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    is that I have difficulty re-orienting myself, as with flashbacks (and there were several of those, as you all know). I had to go back and re-read to make sure I knew where I was, and I also didn't want to forget where the "present" was, either....
    This is pretty common with a lot of folk when reading this book. There are several flashbacks on top of each other right at the beginning which is unusual. For me it enhanced the dream-like quality of the book.
    Heh--I've always been very literal-minded and linear-thinking. I WANT to appreciate different ways of telling a story, but the first time around it can get confusing....

Then again, maybe that's the point--to prompt readers to read it again and make sure it stays with them....

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I remember being excited about a new king book when i finally tracked down my copy of the gunslinger. This was WAY before ebay.... and then disappointed because it was so different from his other work... I persevered to finish the book. I didnt really gel with the story until dt2 drawing of the three, but then i was hooked. I have reread the gunslinger twice and then reread th "19" version after little sisters came out and i really dig the story and want to hear more!

Country
    Country Flag

I wish I had read the Gunslinger first and not DotT. I would be interested in my opinion in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    I wish I had read the Gunslinger first and not DotT. I would be interested in my opinion in that way.
    How did you end up reading Drawing first?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast