Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Was it hard for you to read this book?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was incredibly hard. It's a miracle I could finish it at all.

2 1.77%
  • Yes, it was a bit hard. I had to take some breaks.

19 16.81%
  • No, it wasn't. It was okay.

17 15.04%
  • No, not at all. I found it very interesting.

75 66.37%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Was it hard for you to read this book?

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

The first time I read it I really loved it but there isn't a choice for confused

That is what I was, totally confused and I believe it took several times through before I finally got it.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The first time I read it I really loved it but there isn't a choice for confused

That is what I was, totally confused and I believe it took several times through before I finally got it.
    What were you confused about?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

The way he overlapped the back story had me reeling for a bit, I'm okay now.

this was back in my harsh stoner years.

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

You were a stoner?
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Wasn't everyone? It was the 80's

Country
    Country Flag

I wouldn't know. I wasn't even born until 93.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    The way he overlapped the back story had me reeling for a bit, I'm okay now.

this was back in my harsh stoner years.
    Ah yeah. I can see that..also the intertwining dimensions thing can confuse someone not used to that concept.

Quote Originally Posted by William50 View Post
    I wouldn't know. I wasn't even born until 93.
    Damn, I was two years into college by that year.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Country
    Country Flag

That makes you OLD! Just Kidding.

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I kinda know. It's just that there are things that I can't help reacting to, even though I suspect they must be jokes. I lived too long in a society where people too often were forced to like some things and to dislike others, and to have a taste different from the rest was really dangerous (subversive, can you believe it?). That's why I, like an old battlehorse, prick my ears whenever I hear anything resembling an attempt to turn taste into ideology.
    Jean, I think this is one of the most profound things you've ever said. I'd love, probably in a different thread, to hear your thoughts on Americans and the fact that we tend to take our freedom for granted.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

He offers an amazing perspective for sure. Jean I mean.

Banned obscurejude is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    When it comes to the people that I lent the book to that were unable to finish it, I have to admit that it made me re-evaluate the way I think of them. I didn't write them off or anything like that, but whenever one of them reccommends a book to someone in my presence I always take it with a grain of salt. I mean how much can I value an opinion about a book from someone who didn't "get" The Gunslinger? It's the same way with tv. I have an innate distrust for people who don't get the Simpsons.
    Exactly R of G!

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm...I'm not sure I feel any differently about people that don't get into it, my daughter is one of them!!

Maybe another kid.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

TerribleT and Matt: thank you for your kind words... the longer I live the more I feel the exotic experience I live through can't be all that useless, at least because it made me sensitive towards the slightest symptoms of totalitarian thinking, even when in democratic countries it comes on soft paws and not in the nailed military boots. I hope we can talk about all that elsewhere.

(photopucket still on maintenance! well, picture six huggling bears here)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

And what does that make me?!? I was born in 1944!!

John

Country
    Country Flag

it made me sensitive towards the slightest symptoms of totalitarian thinking, even when in democratic countries it comes on soft paws and not in the nailed military boots.
    May I use this in my sig?

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John
    Methuselah

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post

John
    One of The Great Old Ones?

Country
    Country Flag

It's ok. I just happen to like old people.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleT View Post
    it made me sensitive towards the slightest symptoms of totalitarian thinking, even when in democratic countries it comes on soft paws and not in the nailed military boots.
    I'll be greatly honored!

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleT View Post
    I'll be greatly honored!
    Thnakee Sia, I'm the one who's honored.

One who came back Malficeus is on a distinguished road Malficeus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

After many recommendations i decided on reading it which became my first S.K. book. in the beginning it was difficult to get use to his style of writing but now im an addict i cant get enough

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985
    -"We have two companies of MARINES running all over this island and thousands of ARMY troops doing nothing!" -GEN. JOHN VESSEY, CHAIRMAN OF JOINT CHIEFS

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Malficeus View Post
    After many recommendations i decided on reading it which became my first S.K. book. in the beginning it was difficult to get use to his style of writing but now im an addict i cant get enough
    When did it become easier to read?

Roland would have understood.

Gunslinger Apprentice Dud-a-chum? is on a distinguished road Dud-a-chum?'s Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

To be honest with you, even though I do feel like the book isn't nearly as good as the books that followed it (with only one exception), I was actually quite interested the whole time. It was only until I read books two and three that I realized how much less I liked this one, so it wasn't a bad book at all, just not as good as it's sequel.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ATG View Post
    Rolands test.

Makes up for any short comings. Great story.
    Definitely one of my favorite parts-probably because it involves two of the most lovale characters, i.e. David and Cort.

I thought the writing of the original had a stilted, Writer's workshop feel to it, which I guess you'd expect from an overly ambitious twenty year-old would-be writer.

Still, it was unique. It's the cornerstone of Roland's saga, and you have to respect that.

One who came back Malficeus is on a distinguished road Malficeus's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Malficeus View Post
    When did it become easier to read?
    Im not sure the way he was describing stuff just went meh for the first pages but i adapted to it i think around a few pages while he was in tull

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." -PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985
    -"We have two companies of MARINES running all over this island and thousands of ARMY troops doing nothing!" -GEN. JOHN VESSEY, CHAIRMAN OF JOINT CHIEFS

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast