Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Was it hard for you to read this book?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it was incredibly hard. It's a miracle I could finish it at all.

2 1.77%
  • Yes, it was a bit hard. I had to take some breaks.

19 16.81%
  • No, it wasn't. It was okay.

17 15.04%
  • No, not at all. I found it very interesting.

75 66.37%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Was it hard for you to read this book?

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Was it hard for you to read this book?

I found this book incredibly exciting and deep but I know there are many people out there who found it hard to read.
    Let me know if you had any difficulties to finish this book.

Roland would have understood.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't find it hard to read at all. I loved it from the beginning.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

West Coast sarah is on a distinguished road sarah's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

letti, reading the gunslinger changed my life. I couldn't put it down and i wouldn't shut up about to anyone who would listen to me. I didn't discover thedarktower.net until much much later. People and work were getting a bit sick of me.

The funny thing is, i hate guns. hate them. I shot a few when i was a kid but i'm really a nonviolent person. it is kind of funny that i'm so passionate about the dark tower.

Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa
    Lalalalaaaa, lalalalaaa

sugarpop <3

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I thought that the book was amazing. It wasn't hard.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by maerlyn View Post
    letti, reading the gunslinger changed my life. I couldn't put it down and i wouldn't shut up about to anyone who would listen to me.
    That's the answer my heart loves to hear.

Country
    Country Flag

The Gunslinger is an instant classic! Everyone loves it.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by William50 View Post
    The Gunslinger is an instant classic! Everyone loves it.
    Everyone?
    I know some people who don't. Believe me. You will be surprised sooner or later, sai.

Country
    Country Flag

Everyone that I have met that has read it, loves it. I am not including those who have not.

Country
    Country Flag

When I first tried to talk about this book with other folks most of them couldn't stand it. Really.

Country
    Country Flag

I have yet to meet anyone from my school who has even heard of the DT. Except for my ELA teacher.

Country
    Country Flag

If you had been born in Hungary (like me) you would need to learn another language to be able to find some other DT junkies so don't complain.

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I LOVEDthis book from the word go. I couldn't put it down the first time I read it, and recently read it for the 5th or sixth time in a single day. I think the original version shows SK's writing immaturity, but the stroy was powerful.

Country
    Country Flag

Letti: so you do not speak English?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, clearly she does.

...but, is not her native language. She is Hungarian.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, Brice answered instead of me as well. I can speak English and I can only hope that I am able to express my feelings well.
    But what I wanted to say is that here it's incredibly hard to find someone who knows this series at all. And who read it too... almost impossible.

But thank God here is this site.

Country
    Country Flag

At least you have us!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Yeah, Brice answered instead of me as well. I can speak English and I can only hope that I am able to express my feelings well.
    But what I wanted to say is that here it's incredibly hard to find someone who knows this series at all. And who read it too... almost impossible.

Oh, I know where there is another Hungarian who's read the series.

If you rescue me

Country
    Country Flag

You never know. There might not be. How did you find out about the series Letti?

Country
    Country Flag

At least you have us!
    Yesyes. I am lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

Oh, I know where there is another Hungarian who's read the series.
    That's why I wrote "almost".

You never know. There might not be. How did you find out about the series Letti?
    When I was about 12 I used to be in love with Dean R. Koontz. One day I didn't find any new books by him in the bookstore. I was quite disappointed and sad so I strated to look for something new. The title "The Dark Tower" (in Hungarian "A Setét Torony") touched me.
    Not such an interesting story I know.

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

Personally I found it incredibly easy to read, and I loved it from day one. Like Maerlyn, it changed everything for me.

That said, over the years I have lent my copy to others and several times have had it returned unfinished. Some of these people have told me it was difficult to understand and to get into. I still don't see why that is, but I have definitely heard it said about The Gunslinger. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that it is a blend of western/sci-fi/fantasy. Some people seem to have a hard time getting their mind around the concept.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    Personally I found it incredibly easy to read, and I loved it from day one. Like Maerlyn, it changed everything for me.

That said, over the years I have lent my copy to others and several times have had it returned unfinished. Some of these people have told me it was difficult to understand and to get into. I still don't see why that is, but I have definitely heard it said about The Gunslinger. I suspect it has something to do with the fact that it is a blend of western/sci-fi/fantasy. Some people seem to have a hard time getting their mind around the concept.
    And were you disappointed when you got it back unfinished?
    That's why I don't give it to others. I would hurt to get it back unfinished.

The truth? Yes, a little. I wish they had put in a little more effort bc I suspect they'd like it if they'd push on and get through it.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    The truth? Yes, a little. I wish they had put in a little more effort bc I suspect they'd like it if they'd push on and get through it.
    Understandable.
    But still it's good you gave it a try.
    How many times did it happen to you?

Understandable.
    But still it's good you gave it a try.
    How many times did it happen to you?
    At least 3, and one of them lost my copy and had to buy me a new one.

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Rolands test.

Makes up for any short comings. Great story.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast