Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite moments from this book

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mate211 View Post
    yeahthe hungarian translation is the best(ok the original is good too)
    For my part I prefer the original.

Roland would have understood.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I just finished the Muller reading of the Original today. It was the first time I heard that version. I really wish he could have done the Revised edition!

My favorite part continues to be Roland's test of manhood and the events preceeding it.

Gunslinger Apprentice Ste Letto is on a distinguished road Ste Letto's Avatar

Many great moments there,

for me, my favourite is hearing the drunken singing of a modified "Hey Jude" as Roland approaches Tull.

Punto Ka dotKay is on a distinguished road dotKay's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I loved the whole palaver at the end.
    And i have to say that i find this line epic:

Allie: "You have to have it, don't you? You couldn't just throw me a fuck and go to sleep"

Citizen of Gilead sleeplessdwarf is on a distinguished road sleeplessdwarf's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Tull

Wolf Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer will become famous soon enough Woofer's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

Quote Originally Posted by sleeplessdwarf View Post
    Tull
    Meanwhile back in Dark Tower one.
    When Roland belonged to no one.
    He didn't stand a chance, son.
    If his life stayed undone.
    It'll take a lot more than words and guns,
    A whole lot more than riches and muscle.

The hands of the many must join as one.
    And together we'll cross the river.

Puscifer, "The Humbling River"

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

One moment that sticks out in my head is Jake's story. Before the introduction of Jake, The Gunslinger could've been just a very strange Western, but it was when Jake told his story that we got our first good glimpse that something much bigger was going on.

Or maybe i just like Jake's story because i can easily imagine Life on Mars? by David Bowie playing in my head when he arrives in Mid-World!
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

om nom AlishaRiley is on a distinguished road AlishaRiley's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

I loved Tull...absolutely loved it. Allie was especially fascinating to me - her relationship with Roland was just absorbing.
    I also wholly enjoyed Roland's conversation with Walter - not as much in its entirity, mainly the discussion about worlds within worlds. It's something that's really stuck with me, and I find myself thinking about it an awful lot. It's such an awesome, mind-boggling concept.
    Time spent with cats is never wasted.

Traveler wlackey2 is on a distinguished road wlackey2's Avatar

My Mood
    Brooding
    Country
    Country Flag

I was rather fond of Roland cleaving through the residents of Tull. I could almost hear the Ennio Morricone music playing in my head as Roland took out the whole town (Morricone did the music for the Clint Eastwood "Man with No Name" movies).

The sequence where Jake and Roland part company kinda reached out and grabbed me the first time I read it, too...!

Wayne

Traveler Toolwars is on a distinguished road

Go then, there are other worlds than these'- Jake Chambers

The defining moment in the series in my view....If you didn't feel Roland's obsession at that moment then you might as well have quit reading right there

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Toolwars View Post

The defining moment in the series in my view....If you didn't feel Roland's obsession at that moment then you might as well have quit reading right there
    I guess those people are not members here.
    Welcome to the site.

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Default What makes this book so special?

In other words, where does the magic lie? What is it about this particular book that makes it so amazing?

For me, it is the prose, the style, just the way it is written. I understand King himself said the reason he re-wrote the book is because the original version sounded too important (or something along those lines), but I think the way it is written in that first version is something very special.

What is it for you? Is it the plot? The way the events happen? Is it the characters? I think another big part of it, is the interaction between the characters. (Although I must admit, I was pretty annoyed by Jake for a while.)

So, what was it?
    Last edited by BillyxRansom; 06-19-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: reiterating the question once more, for effect.

Country
    Country Flag

Huh, hard question. I wouldn't like to go on and on (I could for hours) so let me sum up my answer in one word: Roland

妖怪 ola is on a distinguished road ola's Avatar

Yes I've got to say that the first introduction to Roland is a big part of what makes this book special. It includes short glimpses of all the other things that get fleshed out more in the other books - Roland + Jake, encounters with the Man in Black, and stories of his younger years.

IMO you can also feel that King is tumbling headlong into this series, and feeling around - exploring these things spontaneously. Like when you hear a piece of music that you can tell was done with a certain energy, all in one take.

BAZZINGA candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy is a jewel in the rough candy's Avatar

My Mood
    Blah
    Country
    Country Flag

i gotta say that first line got me. but then after that it was the fact that king had ventured out of his comfort zone of castle rock and the surrounding areas, i loved that he was doing something different.

in regards to the style of writing, i agree with billyx, i prefer the unrevised version, although that may have a lot to do with me reading that version first.

for me the time i really got into it though was when jake was introduced. i loved jake and felt he added an extra (missing??) dimension to the book

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    Huh, hard question. I wouldn't like to go on and on (I could for hours) so let me sum up my answer in one word: Roland
    Roland, for me, was SO DAMN INTENSE! It was like he knew what he wanted, would stop at nothing, but turned out to be so very, very wrong.

Makes me really sad for him.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

"In other words, where does the magic lie? What is it about this particular book that makes it so amazing?"

Beans beans the musical fruit...
    And the Beatles...

Traveler Venom09 is on a distinguished road Venom09's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The first time I read it I can say it was the mystery of the whole plot and the pace at which the questons you were asking yourself were answered. On each subsequent time through the book you just realize how great of a begining it is to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Venom09 View Post
    The first time I read it I can say it was the mystery of the whole plot and the pace at which the questons you were asking yourself were answered. On each subsequent time through the book you just realize how great of a begining it is to the story.
    This really comes close to capturing the true essence of it in full, I think. Maybe not nearly close enough to completely capturing it, but closer than I've ever been able to come thus far.

Huh.

Poet erikeliotwrites is on a distinguished road erikeliotwrites's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Will Dearborn View Post
    My favorite part is when Roland shoots don the town like dogs. It was a good way of explaining is drive for the tower and just what he will go through to find it. It was also a good way of showing just how much of a badass Roland is.
    man that scene was hella intense---just goes to show how badass Roland is

the whole scene regarding the purple grass, i really cannont remember it; page number anyone??

Citizen of Gilead pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76 will become famous soon enough pixiedark76's Avatar

My Mood
    Bored
    Country
    Country Flag

This may sound cold, but my favorite part was when Roland let Jake "drop" off the bridge and Jake said "Go then there are other worlds than this." After "The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed" this quote is the second most memorable from the series.
    My second favorite part of this book was when Roland shot up the town of Tull.

Country
    Country Flag

It doesn't sound cold at all. Many people love that quote a lot. It's really meaningful. And the more you read the series the more important it seems to be.

Poet erikeliotwrites is on a distinguished road erikeliotwrites's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pixiedark76 View Post
    This may sound cold, but my favorite part was when Roland let Jake "drop" off the bridge and Jake said "Go then there are other worlds than this." After "The man in black fled across the desert and the gunslinger followed" this quote is the second most memorable from the series.
    My second favorite part of this book was when Roland shot up the town of Tull.
    yeah i totally agree with your selections--i really enjoyed when Roland let Jake fall--as horrible as it may sounds, i can feel Jakes resentment or perhaps skepticism towards Roland from "The Drawing of the Three" and the following books--just really intense.

And when Rolands lights up the city of Tull---pure badass-ness

Traveler Sandalwood Grips is on a distinguished road Sandalwood Grips's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by wlackey2 View Post
    I was rather fond of Roland cleaving through the residents of Tull. I could almost hear the Ennio Morricone music playing in my head as Roland took out the whole town (Morricone did the music for the Clint Eastwood "Man with No Name" movies).

The sequence where Jake and Roland part company kinda reached out and grabbed me the first time I read it, too...!

Wayne
    Rereading The Gunslinger today, my roommate was watching TGTB&TU...it gave new life to scenes that I've read over and over again...if the film does get adapted, I hope whomever scores it takes some heavy influence from Morricone.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Toolwars View Post

I think this was my favorite part two, because it hinted to how enormous the scope of the tale would be.
    Sloth Love Chunk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast