Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Your Favourite moments from this book

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    I'd die if I knew I'd end up with Roland and become a gunslinger.
    hmm
    I don't think those who treat their lives lightly can ever become gunslingers at all... they strike me as principally survivor types...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Traveler movieman19 is on a distinguished road

I have 2 favorite moments in the book. One is my favorite from my first readthough and the other is when I was reading the series the second time.

The first time I thought the ending was amazing. How he finally caught up to The Man In Black. The palavar that he had with Him was amazing. Knowing that it was a 7 book series I couldn't even begin to describe the thought process I had in digesting some of the stuff The Man In Black was saying. I loved it.

Now my favorite part in my second reading...

I remember first reading it thinking to myself, how in the hell is a little kid from our world out in this waystation...and it got crazier from there.
    Exactly how I felt. When I got to that part again on the second readthrough I couldn't help but notice that that feeling was one I had all throughout the series. The feeling of unknown. Right then I realized that that feeling was one of the best feelings I had ever had while reading a fiction novel. The mystery of such a far fetched scenario was so enticing. Anything seemed possible at that point. anything

Silverloch John_and_Yoko will become famous soon enough John_and_Yoko's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

My favorite part was really the end, the palaver with Walter. I just loved the way he described the universe--that kind of topic has always fascinated me.

Palaver Castle Chef mia/susannah is on a distinguished road mia/susannah's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One of my favorite parts is where Roland meets up with Allie. His test for manhood as well, his meeting Jake in the Waystation and his palaver with Walter.

Traveler The Journeyman is on a distinguished road

DTVII
    Spoiler:
    The last two-hundred pages or so of the final novel. Such fantastic, epic writing on a description, plot and dialogue level. I loved everything. The description of the lingering cold, the walk to the tower, Susannah leaving him - everything.

Getting Eddie from the first door was a brilliant one, too.

My Mood
    Angelic

Erm....

I think this is only for the first volume, not the series as a whole....

Oh.

In that case...the opening descriptions of the desert. Really brilliant scenery.

That and the palaver with Walter. Such fantastic writing yet again.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

The Journeyman could you edit your original post with spoiler tags or delete it?
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Done and done.

My Mood
    Angelic

I'm confused....

I thought this was a spoiler thread (albeit one for this particular volume). Now it isn't?

Likewise, I can no longer find that thread about the top 5 non-Dark Tower books.... I was looking for it because so far Insomnia is my favorite one of those....

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by John_and_Yoko View Post
    I'm confused....

1. I thought this was a spoiler thread (albeit one for this particular volume). Now it isn't?

2. Likewise, I can no longer find that thread about the top 5 non-Dark Tower books.... I was looking for it because so far Insomnia is my favorite one of those....
    1. Yeah, you can write about anything here that was in the first volume, you are right. But everything else is spoiler.

2. I think you are looking for this thread, sai: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...read.php?t=426

Journeyman, thank you for editing. I love the way you speak about the books. I absolutely agree.
    King knows how to create a vivid world in your mind.

Roland would have understood.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

This whole set of forums (named for the books) is supposed to represent the only "spoiler free" portion of the site.

So basically, if you read the forum for the first book (here)--you will find spoilers for the book only and not for the series itself.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

My Mood
    Angelic

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    2. I think you are looking for this thread, sai: http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...read.php?t=426
    Say thankya!

I was going out of my mind, I couldn't find the darned thing!

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Favorite part?

(points to screen name)

Cha-ching!

Traveler The_Gunslinger is on a distinguished road The_Gunslinger's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When Roland and Jake are on their journey... And the encounter in Tull. It just really seems to set the mood of the series for me. Sacrifice... Dedication. All that.

Banned The Lady of Shadows is on a distinguished road

jake and roland meeting for the first time

jake telling his tale

jake's knowledge that the gunslinger is going to sacrifice him

jake. . .

okay, fine. jake. jake is the best part for me.

and the opening line of course. "The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed." how could you read that first line and not continue with the second, and the third, and the fourth. . . .

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

I have to say that the passage about the blade of grass and the size of the universe is my favorite. (I'm with Brice: I pick up the book at random moments just to read that part)
    Another one of my favorites is when Roland hypnotizes Jake and he begins to tell his story of a 'big city..a statue in the water'. I remember when I read that for the first time, I thought: "Oh man..where the f*ck is this story about to take me?"

And to be honest, I love every part of this story. It's funny that when I first read it, I was a little unsure about it. Now, it has become the story that I have read countless times, and each time, I love it even more.

Along the Path of the Beam Matticus-Finch is on a distinguished road Matticus-Finch's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Palaver with Walter at the Golgotha. The entire book led up to this 'confrontation' and it was captivating! I was salivating for The Drawing of The Three when I was finished.

Gunslinger Apprentice BillyxRansom is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by TerribleT View Post
    I think my favorite parts of the book are the stories of Gilead. In particular the story of Roland's test. The moment where he kicks down Cort's door and challenges him is awesome. I love the stories of their training, and learning of Alain and Cuthbert.
    Yup.

Life is beautiful LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker has a spectacular aura about LadyHitchhiker's Avatar

My Mood
    Worried

When Roland enters the bar in Tull and says "How they hanging? You dudes live in town?" I laughed hysterically now having read the books a few times. Is this normal for the slingers to run around and how "how they hanging"? Perhaps it means something different in this timeline and this world...

And then I also loved when he said, "I'm grateful. It's good to know someone in this town is bright enough to talk." When I first read it, I thought he was really just talking out of his heart, but now that I have gotten to know Roland's character a little better, I actually think this is showing some of his sense of humor!

Gunslinger Apprentice Whitey Appleseed is on a distinguished road Whitey Appleseed's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by LadyHitchhiker View Post
    When Roland enters the bar in Tull and says "How they hanging? You dudes live in town?" I laughed hysterically now having read the books a few times. Is this normal for the slingers to run around and how "how they hanging"? Perhaps it means something different in this timeline and this world...

And then I also loved when he said, "I'm grateful. It's good to know someone in this town is bright enough to talk." When I first read it, I thought he was really just talking out of his heart, but now that I have gotten to know Roland's character a little better, I actually think this is showing some of his sense of humor!
    I said something about this elsewhere, LadyHitchhiker, but yeah, when I read those lines you quote, it threw me cause I'd read The Gunslinger first in the revised and expanded version. Those lines are changed in that version to read, Long days and pleasant nights. for the first, and you fellas live in town?for the second. So reading the original for the first time and hearing Roland speak those lines is startling. I've read the whole series several times, 3, 4, ?, so I already had this image of Roland.

Every time I read the words, long days and pleasant nights, I'm going to hear, how they hanging...imagine being at some kind of Dark Tower get together and having people come up, chat, long days et cetera, and you start cackling like a madman. I figure to equip with Kleenex, you know, for accidents.

Rabid Billybumbler Ruthful is on a distinguished road Ruthful's Avatar

My Mood
    Sick
    Country
    Country Flag

Hax's hanging, Zoltan and Brown, the obliteration of Tull, anything involving a memory of Cort-especially Roland's final test-and the palaver between Roland and Walter at the conclusion of the book.

Don't forget the slow muties! I love it whenever they appear in any novel or short story written by Stephen King.

John F. Kennedy mate211 is on a distinguished road mate211's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My favourite moment was that,when Roland catch Walter ,that was very interest.

Here a pic from my book

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

hey, it's the Hungarian cover

*edit
    I have just seen you are from Hungary.

Roland would have understood.

John F. Kennedy mate211 is on a distinguished road mate211's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yeahthe hungarian translation is the best(ok the original is good too)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast