Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Your Favourite moments from this book

Along the Path of the Beam keyframe is on a distinguished road keyframe's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My favorite part by far:

The boy saluted formally. "Teach me no more, bondsman. Today i teach you."

A few pages later...

"Have you come here for a serious purpose, boy?"
    "I have come for a serious purpose."
    "Have you come as an outcast from your father's house?"
    "I have come so." And would remain outcast until he had bested Cort. If Cort bested him, he would remain outcast forever.
    "Have you come with your chosen weapon?"
    "I have."
    "What is your weapon?" This was the teacher's advantage, his chance to adjust his plan of battle to the sling or spear or bah or bow.
    "My weapon is David."
    Cort halted only briefly. He was surprised, and very likely confused. That was good.

Gunslinger Apprentice CrimsonMordred is on a distinguished road CrimsonMordred's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The massacre of Tull. And also his scene with The Man in Black.

Traveler Dan-Tete is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Will Dearborn View Post
    My favorite part is when Roland shoots don the town like dogs. It was a good way of explaining is drive for the tower and just what he will go through to find it. It was also a good way of showing just how much of a badass Roland is.
    I also love this part. The way King describes how fast Roland can reload his guns, whilst still running, moving, he doesn't even have to pause.

Gunslinger Apprentice Delacroix is on a distinguished road Delacroix's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, this is what a gunslinger is made of! In Tull Roland gives off a real feeling of might.

But my favorite part is when Jake says that Roland is going to kill him, and Roland avoids the subject. You know it's going to happen, but there is no other choice for Jake. That's so terrible but so good.

I also love the Man in Black.
    -What do we usually do about bad things that aren't of our concern?
    -Well...we laught about it.
    -Then, my friend, once you're in the grave death might be a lot more fun than what we expect.

Along the Path of the Beam Syncrosonix is on a distinguished road Syncrosonix's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

i read it over a decade ago and most of the book has been somewhat forgotten. i don't remember much but i do remember something about roland wiping out an entire town. i liked that quite a bit. unfortunately i don't remember the reason why he did it.

Gunslinger Apprentice Delacroix is on a distinguished road Delacroix's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe it's a good reason to read it again!
    -What do we usually do about bad things that aren't of our concern?
    -Well...we laught about it.
    -Then, my friend, once you're in the grave death might be a lot more fun than what we expect.

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
    i read it over a decade ago and most of the book has been somewhat forgotten. i don't remember much but i do remember something about roland wiping out an entire town. i liked that quite a bit. unfortunately i don't remember the reason why he did it.
    :shocked: Um.. well..

Roland would have understood.

Traveler Charyou Tree is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by MonteGss View Post
    I just finished the Muller reading of the Original today. It was the first time I heard that version. I really wish he could have done the Revised edition!
    Indeed....listen to him doing The Talisman......wow....

Traveler Silentmist is on a distinguished road

This book was recommended to me in 2001 by a very good friend. I was mildly interested with Roland's time in Tull, but over all I was kind of bored with the book in general. I think King's writing style was turning me off in the beginning but I never put down a book before I read the entire thing.

Once I got to the end, where he and Walter have their "conversation" I was hooked, I've never had one part of a book turn me around almost instantly. I couldn't wait to get to the second book, and re-read the first. It changed my entire view on the book, and has become one of my favorite books. So I'd have to say his conversation with Walter was by far and away my favorite part of the book.

Traveler killboi is on a distinguished road killboi's Avatar

My Mood
    Grumpy
    Country
    Country Flag

An awesome first novel which was the main reason i got myself involved in this series. I love the beginning sequence in which Roland and his journey is described perfectly capturing the essence of the series. My fav scene is the one in which roland meets brown and i couldn't tell i how much i got excited when i read in graphic novel format.
    And the next best one got to be the finale - Palaver....I'm not sure if i would have returned to the series without that scene. It made me WANT to find the dark tower just like roland. It just got be obsessed with the tower...

Along the Path of the Beam Doe is on a distinguished road Doe's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My fravorite part had to be when Roland killed the town (Cry pardon, i forgot the name) I could just see that in my head, him dancing backwards ducking and weaving around the projectiles as he reloads and fans the hammer at the oncoming horde of villagers...

Citizen of Gilead haunted.lunchbox is on a distinguished road haunted.lunchbox's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I love the parts that talk about the slow mutants and the by products of civilizations past. This actually makes a lot of sense because I am fascinated with chernobyl.

If I had to pick a particular scene though... Tull and it's downfall. Roland was fierce.

Demon of the Prim blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne is just really nice blavigne's Avatar

My Mood
    Sad
    Country
    Country Flag

I always want to go back to the test with Cort. To me that is such a powerful and moving scene. I love the end of that where Cort tells Roland to wait "let the word and the legend go before you"

Traveler Boots is on a distinguished road Boots's Avatar

I've read this book twice: the original and the revised edition (more on that later). Sometimes I think it's a disjointed, warbling mess (thank God it's short). The first time I read it, it did nothing for me at all. But it grows on you, particularly once you move forward into book two.

Others have expressed these sentiments and I agree: the harrowing in Tull makes the book and makes Roland (in the "now"). He's unflinching in his quest. That said, Jake's line "There are other worlds than these" makes the series ~ without it and without Roland's conscience trailing after it, this wouldn't be going anywhere any more interesting than a shoot-em up video game.

When I recommend these books to others, I tell them to read book one and two as a single entity (The Gunslinger being a prologue for the series). While there are other nice moments in book one, I think it really needs book two to feel whole.

John F. Kennedy Serpent Raptor is on a distinguished road Serpent Raptor's Avatar

My Mood
    Lonely

The Gunslinger had a great atmosphere, but the later books are far more exciting. I see the Gunslinger more as a prologue to the series than a first chapter (as also said by boots) lol, my favourite bits have already been said by others on this thread, but I'll say em anyway:

Meeting Jake. Cos hes just awesome, lol. "I don't like people. They fuck me up." EPIC quote.

The palavar with Walter DEFO. Walter explaining how humans can't comprehend size and we can't know how many universes there are, etc. The blade of grass analogy was cool. Ok, the whole talk was cool! I've always been really interested in that sort of topic, so it was pretty uber reading about it by Stephen King.

I thought I was the only one who kept picking the book back up just to read that bit, but apparently not, lol.

Traveler ka-tetcast will become famous soon enough

The bloodbath at Tull - absolutely epic!

But a very close second is the idea of a honky tonk version of "Hey Jude" playing on the piano in the background at Sheb's. It's a very evocative image for me.

John F. Kennedy Ross will become famous soon enough

I think my favourite part is when he bests Cort with his bird. That and of course when he kills everyone in town. I just finished Wizard and Glass and because I am waiting to get Wind through the keyhole delivered I am re-reading The Gunslinger again. I think that I will get a little more insight into it now that I know more about his past going into this book. I have a feeling I will be reading this series at least 2 or 3 more times before I move on to another book.

Goldmember Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody is a splendid one to behold Father Cody's Avatar

My Mood
    Chatty

“The greatest mystery the universe offers is not life but size.“

Then the discussion that follows. It’s like Stephen King perfectly explained what I’ve teetered on exploring and accepting in my life in terms of spirituality and just what in the hell is going around me as a living being. It was the first book I had read by King and one of the first books I’d ever read for pleasure. I was hooked right there. I wanted to and still want to read everything the man has written for even a slight chance that I’ll experience something like that again. It was a genuine epiphany in the most literal sense of the word.

Robot Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave has much to be proud of Girlystevedave's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by adammoro View Post
    “The greatest mystery the universe offers is not life but size.“

Then the discussion that follows. It’s like Stephen King perfectly explained what I’ve teetered on exploring and accepting in my life in terms of spirituality and just what in the hell is going around me as a living being.
    Yes.
    The explanation of the universe in that part of the book is one of my favorite things ever for the reasons you mentioned.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4