Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Stephen King Doctor Sleep Colorado 9/25/2013

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by George at C-Springs View Post
    We found the stairs to the attic up on the fourth floor where we were staying (and by the way room 428 is most definitely haunted) but the door was bolted shut. Really wanted to go up there and explore. Notice Redrum written on the door...
    I went up those steps myself and tried the door ... did not see Redrum written on it. Wierd.

Hey, you tried. Heck, if I was him I suppose it would get tiresome dodging Jerome & Co all the time!!
    Yeah, I agree, but at the same time he was pretty damn rude. It wouldn't have taken but a minute to sign in the first place, less if he chose even only one; he was aware we waited an hour and a half. I was okay waiting, by the way ... figured the odds were a helluva better standing 20 feet away from his front door than being in line with 1000 other people. Especially since I hate lines!

Second, I understand if he was on a timeline ... a simple "I'm sorry folks, but I've got to keep my schedule for the start of the event" would have been perfectly understandable; "I can't, I gotta go do this thing" sounded like he couldn't have cared less about the reading, never mind his fans.

I guess after 40 years or so you forget (or just don't care) that it's a big deal for Constant Reader to meet in person someone that they've "known" most of their lives. It doesn't take a lot to be polite ... sure would have made a better first impression for me.

I enjoyed the event, but I won't forget getting rudely blown off beforehand.
    I'm not trying to be argumentative, nor am I trying to change your opinions. I just know what I witnessed at the RBR event and the fans were extremely tenacious (to be kind) before and after the show even though there was an "official" signing event for those that paid additionally. And I am also not trying to be holier than though as I was reaching my book into his face at the signing along with everyone else, but it just seemed a little extreme to me is all and I could see where he might get fed up and a little rude. Again, not trying to make excuses for the man, just stating what I witnessed and experienced.

On the other hand, as you said, you really can't fault the fans for doing their level best to obtain a signature from their long time hero. Just a volatile situation I suppose.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Here's one of the legal definitions of stalking:

"Stalking
    Criminal activity consisting of the repeated following and harassing of another person. Stalking is a distinctive form of criminal activity composed of a series of actions that taken individually might constitute legal behavior."

We can romanticize "signature hounding" all we want but stuff posted on this forum leaves me scratching my head sometimes. If you have a "contact" let you know where King is, if you're staking out somewhere he frequents, if you have people at different exits, if you're standing outside of his lodgings, you're going too far. He's already doing an event he doesn't have to do, pre-signing books he didn't have to sign, after a flight he didn't have to take. Count yourself lucky you got to see him speak and be glad he didn't flip you off or had the cops or guards chase you away.

Can you blame him for making less and less public appearances?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post

"Stalking
    Criminal activity consisting of the repeated following and harassing of another person. Stalking is a distinctive form of criminal activity composed of a series of actions that taken individually might constitute legal behavior."

We can romanticize "signature hounding" all we want but stuff posted on this forum leaves me scratching my head sometimes. If you have a "contact" let you know where King is, if you're staking out somewhere he frequents, if you have people at different exits, if you're standing outside of his lodgings, you're going too far. He's already doing an event he doesn't have to do, pre-signing books he didn't have to sign, after a flight he didn't have to take. Count yourself lucky you got to see him speak and be glad he didn't flip you off or had the cops or guards chase you away.

You're absolutely right, but fans do it to all sorts of public figures regularly anyway. A lot of times it's considered "coming with the fame" and I'm not commenting on either side as right. Just highlighting the facts is all. It's a sticky wicket for sure.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

"Stalking

We didn't do anything criminal. We took "one action"-standing politely across the street from King's cottage in a National Historical Monument Park, where we we paying overnight guests. When King walked out, we stayed across the street and asked if he would sign one book per person. He declined.
    I was a little deflated, but what really dissapointed me was the tone of voice-attitude King displayed when he said "...I gotta do this thing". It sounded like he really didn't even want to do the event.

Gunslinger Apprentice redsoxfan565 is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

"Stalking

We didn't do anything criminal. We took "one action"-standing politely across the street from King's cottage in a National Historical Monument Park, where we we paying overnight guests. When King walked out, we stayed across the street and asked if he would sign one book per person. He declined.
    I was a little deflated, but what really dissapointed me was the tone of voice-attitude King displayed when he said "...I gotta do this thing". It sounded like he really didn't even want to do the event.
    He is very bi-polar. Some days he will be great and joke around with everyone, and other days he just doesn't want to deal with any of it. I suppose that is like everyone on the planet, but he isn't everyone, he is Stephen King.

One of the times he signed in NYC this past week he told the 6 or so of us: "Persistence is the key to me being fucking annoyed," but was joking around and signing. 2 days later in Boston he totally shut it down and didn't sign the majority of the time here.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post

"Stalking

I understand and I would've been bummed out too.

Goldmember Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold Lot guy is a splendid one to behold

I can understand somebody getting tiresome of constantly being hounded by fans,
    After working at a prominent music venue for over 10 years now, i have grown to realize that is part of the job For the bandmembers And if it's a job they don't want it only affects their pockets, After having a conversation with a top hatted guitar playing man(/), Said if I didn't have people waiting in lines to buy my tickets see my shows and have me sign things I would not have the opportunity to do what I love,
    And the freedom to do it how I want,
    Having something signed or saying hello may not be important to some but others it is a very exciting experience
    That being said it is the fans and readers to make it possible for Stephen King to be able to write as many books as he wants and about whatever he wants,
    That is only my opinion

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

TN great pics; great story. Somewhere in my pile of pics I have a shot or two of the Stanley Kitchen. I also have a pic in teh tunnel beteen the Stanley and the outbuilding next door.

Jerome; ion Rm 217 did the bathroom steam up and ords appear onteh bathroom mirror? it used to!
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    After reading the stories and seeing the pics, I'm definitely considering a "pilgrimage" to "The Stanley" over the winter.
    They ahve an annual Shining Masquerade Ball around halloween every year I belive. Went to it in 2003 and it was a total blast! I was dressed as wolf and my lovely wife was The Queen of the Territories! I should dig up some of those pics!

Spoiler:

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Here are some more pictures. I spoiler tagged them so that if you don't want to view them, page loading won't be slow.

Spoiler:
    Stopped at Estes Park Brewery for a beer:

Souvenirs for sale in The Stanley:

Open elevator door:

The emergency key for the elevator:

Pool balls in the Pool room. Purportedly people see ghosts in the photos. I don't see anything; do you?

Safe that was in the basement:

TwistedNadine, Leanna, Dolores and George at C-Springs partying and closing the place down. This was prior to "the argument" and before security came

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by CRinVA View Post
    I also have a pic in teh tunnel beteen the Stanley and the outbuilding next door.
    Would have loved to have seen that! Didnt know there was a tunnel..

I guess after 40 years or so you forget (or just don't care) that it's a big deal for Constant Reader to meet in person someone that they've "known" most of their lives. It doesn't take a lot to be polite ... sure would have made a better first impression for me.

In his defense keep in mind he did a lot of travel and events, with the accompanying stress and pressure, in a very short amount of time. Im thinking he was pretty exhausted already but still had to do this event and more travel/events afterward. Probably why he was more cordial in NY and less and less accommodating at each successive event. Although it really sucked he didnt sign I dont think thats his usual attitude towards his Constant Readers. I just think he was exhausted and in a pissy mood.
    reality continues to ruin my life

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Great story TN!

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    I also have a pic in teh tunnel beteen the Stanley and the outbuilding next door.

In his defense keep in mind he did a lot of travel and events, with the accompanying stress and pressure, in a very short amount of time. Im thinking he was pretty exhausted already but still had to do this event and more travel/events afterward. Probably why he was more cordial in NY and less and less accommodating at each successive event. Although it really sucked he didnt sign I dont think thats his usual attitude towards his Constant Readers. I just think he was exhausted and in a pissy mood.

I asked him to "date" my book after he signed and he said i should do it myself. I was upset for about two seconds and then realized he had 100 people waiting for him to sign their book as well and forgot about it. i got to meet him and get a signed book! everybody has bad days (except me).

I cant stand a local DJ who talks bad about celebrities after he interviews them and says how rude they were, or stupid, or.... everybody is entitled to bad days, busy days, etc....

when i met SK in Boston he was the nicest he could every be. Personally inscribed a book to my wife and I! He can tell me to P#$s off any time, I will never forget boston, george mason and savannah!!

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post

I asked him to "date" my book after he signed and he said i should do it myself. I was upset for about two seconds and then realized he had 100 people waiting for him to sign their book as well and forgot about it. i got to meet him and get a signed book! everybody has bad days (except me).

I cant stand a local DJ who talks bad about celebrities after he interviews them and says how rude they were, or stupid, or.... everybody is entitled to bad days, busy days, etc....

when i met SK in Boston he was the nicest he could every be. Personally inscribed a book to my wife and I! He can tell me to P#$s off any time, I will never forget boston, george mason and savannah!!
    I never find Stephen King to be rude... sometimes as blunt, as he is occupied but never rude. I feel if anyone is rude, it is those of us feeling he owes us to give a signature. I feel fortunate if I have created an opportunity by being in the right place and getting a signature however never feel shorted if he decides to pass on signing at the moment. I have been in a group of people waiting, hoping for a signature where he was just escorted by with no chance to sign. I have been in a group of people waiting, hoping for a signature where he made the move to sign graciously despite handlers (Thank You Sir). I have been in a group of people waiting and hoping for a signature and have found some of them VERY rude when they won't allow others to get a sig as they keep shoving things in front of him they just plan to sell. I don't have much patience for those who are simply sig sellers who send a force of minions to collect sigs on anything they can hawk. True collectors appreciate the opportunity to have something rare and dear to them signed. I was so happy to see TN found just the type of opportunity I have sought out and experienced. BRAVO TwistedNadine for your result... a great and appreciated inscription!

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Well said Explorer and thank you for the Back Pat. It really was one of those Series of Fortunate Event things and one I will never forget.

Hey, do you think my hat helped?
    reality continues to ruin my life

Jascar of the Wylde EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER has much to be proud of EXPLORER's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Well said Explorer and thank you for the Back Pat. It really was one of those Series of Fortunate Event things and one I will never forget.

Hey, do you think my hat helped?
    As I said previously, "You Can Leave Your Hat on"
    .................................................. .................... and I am hearing the music in my head while I say that..

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

A few pics from ten years ago!

First the Tunnel I mentioned! We got to see it by taking the Ghost Tour provided as part of our SKEMERCon.

As close to the Walk-in Cooler that we could get

A step in the infamous Overlook Elevator!

And our two honored guests for SKEMERCon '03 [B]Redrum in the Rockies! (I won a contest in naming this SKEMERCon)

Spoiler:

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

OK. I think that is Rocky Wood in the last photo but I do not recognize the person in the photo just above Rocky. Who is he?

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Here's a hint!

He wrote The Devil's Wine and he lived in the area of Estes Park.

By the way, I've met Rocky a few times - he's a class act!

Spoiler:

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Great photos. Looks like it was an awesome time. I don't know Rocky or Tim personally but from what I can tell they are awesome people. Thank you very much for sharing your experience.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Pet cemetery to be dug up at Stanley Hotel

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_24...-stanley-hotel

Gunslinger Apprentice mikeyw is on a distinguished road

this thread is interesting with regards the time that SK does or does not devote to signing stuff for fans. I'm going to the Paris event - the reading, but cant be there for the signing on the previous wednesday. We emailed his PA to ask if there would be the opportunity to meet him/have him sign anything at the event and were told politely but firmly that this would not be possible. Disappointing as we are traveling a long way to be there - probably over a thousand miles in fact, but given his schedule and that everyone wants a piece of him, I can understand that he cant make everyone happy all of the time (apart from by writing more books). If someone said would you rather he just did the public circuit and press junkits or wrote more books, i;d have to opt for the books. I'll still be thrilled to see and hear him read in Paris, just as I was when he read in London when Bag of Bones was released, and maybe one day i'll meet him, or maybe not. I'll still be that constant reader regardless.

Goldmember ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy has a reputation beyond repute ICry4Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Both COOL and sad reading this thread. No more Bad Penny, Twisted Nadine or Tito Villa.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ICry4Oy View Post
    Both COOL and sad reading this thread. No more Bad Penny, Twisted Nadine or Tito Villa.

Life moves on, and all of them (I believe) are alive.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8