Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Stephen King Doctor Sleep Sept. 24th NYC

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Boomme View Post
    I'm guessing they were sold out though... right?
    Yes, and most folks got six or seven books signed each.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by Gris View Post
    I'm calmer now...

My take on the actual content of the event...

How it went down...

The Moderator introduced them.

Stephen read a chunk of Double Feature

Owen read a chunk of Doctor Sleep

Owen produced a Stephen King trivia book and proceeded to ask Stephen King 3 questions. This all took maybe 8 minutes
    1) Where was Stephen King Born. Stephen answered that correctly
    2) Who was the bartender in the Overlook. Stephen answered this incorrectly
    3) I can't remember the exact question. Something about "Dark Half" i think.

(staff collected Q&A questions)

Stephen read from Doctor Sleep

Owen read from Double Feature

2 Q&A questions were given to Owen to ask Stephen. This took 5 minutes.

I really liked seeing Owen and Stephen reading from each other's books. Before Stephen read from Double Feature he made the comment (paraphrasing) "There is no greater honor than having your son read your book, than reading your sons." Great statement.

I kind of wish they had skipped the whole second reading, where they read their own book. I would have much rather had more talking between the 2 of them. I also would have really liked an opportunity to get a copy of Double Feature signed. I understand the monetary value of a King signature, and that king is the primary drawer to an event like that, but I really wish more emphasis was given to Owen during the whole thing. Even the short excuse for a Q&A ignore Owen other than him being the one to ask the questions. I know a LOT about Stephen King. I would have loved to get to know more about Owen.

My wife and I were towards the back. Another thing that was pretty annoying was photography. Of course they say none allowed, and of course people do. I did. I use my phone, turn the flash off, turn the shutter sound off and take pictures between the people in front of me, not holding the camera up high to get a clearer shot. OMG THE KIDS WHO WERE USHERS!!! Non-stop from behind me, the ushers are there with their phones!! Every 30 seconds there were flashes and shutter sounds, non-stop the whole time.

That reminds me of 2 other things...

1) If you are the woman who was in my row, in the first seat, that took a video of the whole thing with your phone, are you here? I'd love to get a copy.
    2) There was an official videographer. I spoke to her after the show and she said the video would be available at CenterForFiction.org, probably for a fee.

Also, FWIW, Double Feature was pretty enjoyable. I started it a few weeks ago, but just finished it yesterday.
    You transcribed the event perfectly. Our frustrations came from the way the event was handled. Not the actual event itself. Alot less reading and more conversation would have been nice, but it is what it is. My friend was so excited just to hear SK read from his book. It was a dream come true for him.

If the organizers would have been organized it would have been a great event. But all the confusion and stress kind of deflated the event. I found ten people to use my tickets and the organizer couldnt understand how i ended up with 10 books- practically accused me of stealing!! I went on craigslist in NY and advertised free SK event and had 10 takers immediately!

Along the Path of the Beam Gris will become famous soon enough Gris's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    You transcribed the event perfectly. Our frustrations came from the way the event was handled. Not the actual event itself. Alot less reading and more conversation would have been nice, but it is what it is. My friend was so excited just to hear SK read from his book. It was a dream come true for him.

If the organizers would have been organized it would have been a great event. But all the confusion and stress kind of deflated the event. I found ten people to use my tickets and the organizer couldnt understand how i ended up with 10 books- practically accused me of stealing!! I went on craigslist in NY and advertised free SK event and had 10 takers immediately!
    Thanks for getting our book vouchers for us. I would have gone full-blown Jack Torrence on them if we didn't get the books because of their stupidity.
    -Craig

Wanted!!
    Bachman Books HC 1st/1st
    Red Leather Dreamcatcher
    Red Leather Everything's Eventual

Shoot me a PM if you have any of the above!

My Collection

If you are considering a DropBox account, please also consider using me as a reference...
    http://db.tt/Msd4eKO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4