Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

Thread: Book Bugs

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Book Bugs

I didn't see a thread anywhere that dealt with this, so I'm starting a new one.

I found a bug in one of my books and as a result, I am having a panic attack. I actually found one of these dead in my office last week, but not on a bookshelf and figured it was just another reason for me to abhor living in the south. (For those outsiders, there are roaches everywhere here. And they can fly!) This one I found not only in a bookcase, but on a book, as shown below. Anyone see these before or have any knowledge of them? Dude is dead, and I have looked at every other book and see no other issues. Still panicking though!

My bug:

My book (thankfully, not a precious one):

Thanks all!

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

A little chocolate sauce, a frying pan...and yummy!

Seriously though, I have only found one or two dead bugs around my books in my 30 plus (40 plus?, I forget) years of collecting. But I am situated way north of you, so that fact may not be much help. I clean my library once every month, dust and vacuum, and that seems to take care of everything. In between those times, the shades are always pulled and the door is closed.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

EWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

I do have glass doors on the bookcases where I store all my "special books." And my boyfriend has reinforced the holes, nooks, and crannies with foamy stuff to help keep bugs out. I think that sucker and his dead friend might have been transplants, arriving on the books I purchased last week. I still don't want them here and am ready to tent the damn house if it means keeping my books safe. I was just wondering if anyone has seen these before or if they have suggestions on what to do about them.

Besides eat them, of course.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

coming from a biologists perspective - that really doesn't look like a bug... notice the bottom it looks like some sort of plastic rivets or something that keeps it together. Also there are no antennae or legs that I can see. The thing doesn't look segmented like any other insects. I also don't see any wings/attachment areas for other appendages - the only thing I am unsure of is the brown substance surrounding the plastic looking thing.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Have you used any bug spray at all? We occasionally get silverfish upstairs (usually in the summer) and every month or so I use Raid alongside my ceiling, window, door, and any other "bug-friendly" areas. I think I've only found 1 or 2 in one of my books over the years (nothing too special, and they were one's NOT kept in my glass door bookcase) so it seems to work well.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Looks like a roach egg

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think you are greatly over-reacting.
    Go view the movie 'Bug" to learn how paranoia can spread; quicker than a bug infestation.
    BUG Trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slg59ufLKXk

Citizen of Gilead barlow will become famous soon enough barlow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have had my collection in the south for over 20 years, and have only notice one tiny mite looking bug on a book (limited Firestarter), and that was not long after I got it. I would be wore concerned about proper temperature and humidity in the house. Being a transplanted Yankee, I like to keep my place dry and cool, in the 70-74 degree range. I don't know about S.C., but in Florida monthly best control is a must. I have friends who have had books chewed up by silverfish, and friends who has had several books damaged my mildew caused my heat and humidity. Both of these friends were older houses without central air, and no pest control. I have come across books at used book stores and library sales that had insect tracks or egg casings that I didn't buy because I didn't want to take the risk of bringing potential bugs into my collection. Hope some of this helps, it looks like it had been chewing the pages if you have pest control, hold on to one if you find more and show it to the exterminator.

Ken

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I have Orkin come to the house monthly and have never had a problem. We live right next door to a forest, so we've had lots of problems with various animals (coons, mice, chipmonks, turkeys and an occasional coyote), not to mention various bugs (ants, wasps, bees, etc.) Orkin seems to solve many of these.

John

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    Looks like a roach egg
    Oh Lurker, you are totally right!!!! I googled it, and it is exactly the same. Which relaxes me a little, but still pisses me off! My house has this great system of tubes running through the walls that the pest guy comes and sprays his anti-bug spray through each quarter. So in addition to the foundation of the house being sprayed, the bug stuff is sprayed throughout the outer walls of the entire house. Plus he gave me industrial strength discs to put under the bookcases. I must have bionic roaches!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I think you are greatly over-reacting.
    Go view the movie 'Bug" to learn how paranoia can spread; quicker than a bug infestation.
    BUG Trailer:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Slg59ufLKXk
    And Randall, that was just cruel. You sir will probably be the cause of my nightmares!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

I thought it looked like an egg casing too. Are you sure it wasn't on the book when you got it, but was over looked. Being an ex library I imagine you picked it up at a library sale or a used bookstore. If that is a possibility you probably have nothing to worry about.

Ken

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by barlow View Post
    I thought it looked like an egg casing too. Are you sure it wasn't on the book when you got it, but was over looked. Being an ex library I imagine you picked it up at a library sale or a used bookstore. If that is a possibility you probably have nothing to worry about.

Ken
    Unfortunately Ken, I've had that book for a few years. And it wasn't there a couple weeks ago. I thought maybe it came in with some new purchases, but if it's a roach, then all bets are off.

Country
    Country Flag

Trying to be optimistic. You could try some roach traps in the book room, until your next pest control visit. Let the exterminator know he can pay extra attention to the book room, which might not be a bad idea anyway.

Ken

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by barlow View Post
    Trying to be optimistic. You could try some roach traps in the book room, until your next pest control visit. Let the exterminator know he can pay extra attention to the book room, which might not be a bad idea anyway.

Ken
    I appreciate the optimism! Our quarterly bug spraying comes with free returns if you see anything alive in the house (that isn't supposed to be, of course). So he will be coming sometime this week. I can't have this!!!

In the meantime, I'm going to track down some slipcases and traycases for books that don't already have them. The only issues I've seen have been on the pages, so that should help in that respect. I'm sure the immense amount of rain hasn't been helping either, but at least there are a couple things I can do. I guess these things happen when you live in the dirty south.

Incidentaly, I can't wait to move back up north!

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

gross thanks for giving me something else to worry about!

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

We have silverfish out here in CA. I usually do a thorough cleaning once a year in my library. I also place a small container of cloves and nutmeg in a paper cupcake liner on each of my shelves (usually in the inner corners) and replace them yearly. Bugs hates the smell of them.
    WANTED:

Lettered Danse Macabre
    Marshroots
    Lettered Eyes Of The Dragon
    Lettered The Stand
    BOMC signed Full Dark No Stars
    MM AGOT #249
    Lettered Frankenstein

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    We have silverfish out here in CA. I usually do a thorough cleaning once a year in my library. I also place a small container of cloves and nutmeg in a paper cupcake liner on each of my shelves (usually in the inner corners) and replace them yearly. Bugs hates the smell of them.
    Rosemary works the same.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Country
    Country Flag

Rosemary, cloves and nutmeg. My books will smell yummy! Thanks!

Update: Bug guy scheduled for Thursday. Obsessive compulsive checking of books still ongoing.