Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mark Stutzman Prints

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...+mark&_sacat=0

Hmmm... the waters look pretty stagnant.

G
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by thegunslinger41 View Post
    $300 a print just seems like too much. I mean...one could purchase a pretty nice stephen king book, even one that is signed, for $300. Which would you rather have???

Also, a print run for a lithograph seems like a really high number, especially when asking $300 a print. I think the following print numbers and prices would make more sense. Opinions

Print run of 500----$50 a print
    Print run of 250----($75-$85) a print
    Print run of 100----$150 a print
    Print run of 75----- $175 a print
    Print run of 50----- $250-$300

BUT NO...our reality is print run of 500----$300 a print!!!! most SK collectors can't justify that....nnow maybe in art circles $300 a print for these is a super bargain. I'd advises all of use to research this guy to see what his collectability is like. Regardless...i'm 99% not participating in this cash donation.

-G
    Now there is NO doubt that his work is A+++. I think he is just playing the "King factor" a little too hard.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

$300 a print just seems like too much. I mean...one could purchase a pretty nice stephen king book, even one that is signed, for $300. Which would you rather have???

Also, a print run for a lithograph seems like a really high number, especially when asking $300 a print. I think the following print numbers and prices would make more sense. Opinions

Print run of 500----$50 a print
    Print run of 250----($75-$85) a print
    Print run of 100----$150 a print
    Print run of 75----- $175 a print
    Print run of 50----- $250-$300

BUT NO...our reality is print run of 500----$300 a print!!!! most SK collectors can't justify that....nnow maybe in art circles $300 a print for these is a super bargain. I'd advises all of use to research this guy to see what his collectability is like. Regardless...i'm 99% not participating in this cash donation.

-G
    Art is weird and subjective. I paid $5,000 (back in the day) for a "Ron Wood" Litho of Eric Clapton's "Crossroads cover", that is now worth over $10,000. There was only "249" of these, and I own No. 249/249. It's a totally different structure. Stutzman, is a renowned artist. He gets what he gets because he can!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I would hope that his agent or whomever (stutzman himself) would have done their homework and priced their art accordingly. Ill give him the benefit of the doubt, I mean..what do I know??!!

A better barometer for Stutzman at least how he perceived his art, its collectability, and pricing would be to use Michael Whelan's THE GUNSLINGER prints as a good reference. I don't remember what the print runs were for these (can someone refresh my memory?/) I know some..maybe all were signed by Whelan. Any signed by king?? Anyhoo... Whelan IMO is a legend with Fantasy Science fiction art...so if you are trying to tap into the king market of collectors that would be a good place to start. Please excuse any grammar mistakes...im hungry as FUK! ok...i think dinner is about ready.

G
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Art can be a strange world. Limited Litho's can be very pricey. They usually have an original signature, but they are "reproductions as well. You really don't want to mess around in that world unless you know it or have an advocate. Hell, I sold a Ron Wood (AP) litho for $22,500.00!!!! I paid $1,500 plus framing. Go figure...
    And that's my point.
    What you are talking about is not a Fine Art Print. It's just a print OF fine art.

An "original/fine art print" is defined by the Print Council of America as
    an image drawn or etched or engraved on some surface by the artist, who prints a limited number of the pieces by hand (or personally supervises someone else doing it), then signs and numbers the individual prints and defaces the printing plate.
    Reproductions do not qualify.

I learned three methods in school; relief printing - wood or linocuts, intaglio - copper etching or engraving, and lithography - stone or aluminum.
    Everything we did was hand drawn on the plate, hand inked and hand printed by us.

For example, when we learned to make Litho's in school it was the traditional way.
    We had to hand draw the image on a 5 or 6 inch thing slab of (fancy Italian) limestone or a prepared aluminum plate. We etched it ourselves, mixed the ink colors, rolled it up and printed them on a hand operated press.
    After that the image is polished off of the stone so it can be used again and preventing additional prints from being made outside of the edition.

If you have 15 minutes to kill, I found an old video that we watched in school that shows the process here. (In this case, it shows an artist working with a master printer.)

With limited reproductions, which have traditionally used an offset lithography process(commercial printing), there's really nothing stopping anyone from running another edition of the same reproduction. They might change the size or the paper and call it something else (deluxe edition!), but it's still just a print OF art.

Now I realize that most people can't afford the original art and even if they could, there's only one of them. So these limited reproductions do absolutely serve a purpose. I just don't personally feel they are worth high prices, though I do support the artists selling them at whatever price their market will bear.

In a way, these reproduction take the purpose of prints full circle.
    Historically, the field developed because there was no way to reproduce paintings or other art before the invention of photography. Engravings were made of say, the Mona Lisa, so others around the world could see the painting or include it in a book. The printmaker essentially had to recreate the original art as closely as possible.

For a long time, this meant the snobs of the art world only considered printmaking a "craft" and not a true "art." Even today, there are those who still don't like it because it's one of the few mediums that creates a "multiple original." Photography and digital fall in this category as well.

As far as pricing of originals, like anything, it will vary wildly.
    I've seen stunning prints for less than $100, but a Warhol screen print will break the bank.
    Mark Twain

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

That post was longer than I thought it would be. Hope I didn't ramble too much.
    Mark Twain

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Very interesting, thank you my friend.

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

Really much to expensive. This 500 prints will be never get sold imho...

And thanks to Randall to the earlier polls. I do not know why someone wants to see how people react and then do exactly the opposite...

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I do...
    reality continues to ruin my life

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Scoogs. Interesting stuff.

TN, please elaborate.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Art can be a strange world. Limited Litho's can be very pricey. They usually have an original signature, but they are "reproductions as well. You really don't want to mess around in that world unless you know it or have an advocate. Hell, I sold a Ron Wood (AP) litho for $22,500.00!!!! I paid $1,500 plus framing. Go figure...
    And that's my point.
    What you are talking about is not a Fine Art Print. It's just a print OF fine art.

An "original/fine art print" is defined by the Print Council of America as
    an image drawn or etched or engraved on some surface by the artist, who prints a limited number of the pieces by hand (or personally supervises someone else doing it), then signs and numbers the individual prints and defaces the printing plate.
    Reproductions do not qualify.

I learned three methods in school; relief printing - wood or linocuts, intaglio - copper etching or engraving, and lithography - stone or aluminum.
    Everything we did was hand drawn on the plate, hand inked and hand printed by us.

For example, when we learned to make Litho's in school it was the traditional way.
    We had to hand draw the image on a 5 or 6 inch thing slab of (fancy Italian) limestone or a prepared aluminum plate. We etched it ourselves, mixed the ink colors, rolled it up and printed them on a hand operated press.
    After that the image is polished off of the stone so it can be used again and preventing additional prints from being made outside of the edition.

If you have 15 minutes to kill, I found an old video that we watched in school that shows the process here. (In this case, it shows an artist working with a master printer.)

With limited reproductions, which have traditionally used an offset lithography process(commercial printing), there's really nothing stopping anyone from running another edition of the same reproduction. They might change the size or the paper and call it something else (deluxe edition!), but it's still just a print OF art.

Now I realize that most people can't afford the original art and even if they could, there's only one of them. So these limited reproductions do absolutely serve a purpose. I just don't personally feel they are worth high prices, though I do support the artists selling them at whatever price their market will bear.

In a way, these reproduction take the purpose of prints full circle.
    Historically, the field developed because there was no way to reproduce paintings or other art before the invention of photography. Engravings were made of say, the Mona Lisa, so others around the world could see the painting or include it in a book. The printmaker essentially had to recreate the original art as closely as possible.

For a long time, this meant the snobs of the art world only considered printmaking a "craft" and not a true "art." Even today, there are those who still don't like it because it's one of the few mediums that creates a "multiple original." Photography and digital fall in this category as well.

As far as pricing of originals, like anything, it will vary wildly.
    I've seen stunning prints for less than $100, but a Warhol screen print will break the bank.
    As regards to my portion of this post, well, not exactly. Fine or near fine or whatever you choose to call it. It is predominantly what a person (s) is willing to pay. That is all to consider. Everything else is tools, guides and/or advice that the buyer ultimately chooses to hear or, not.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    TN, please elaborate.
    Nothing to elaborate. Below says it all.

I would hope that his agent or whomever (stutzman himself) would have done their homework and priced their art accordingly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lauterer View Post
    And thanks to Randall to the earlier polls. I do not know why someone wants to see how people react and then do exactly the opposite...

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

These don't seem all that high to me.
    I won't be buying though probably.
    I wanna' see the JAS cover.
    Has this been shown before?
    Am I just forgetting it?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Am I just forgetting it?
    Id like to see it too. Dont think its been posted before

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Am I just forgetting it?
    Id like to see it too. Dont think its been posted before
    No, I don't think I've seen it. I don't think it was in Knowing Darkness either. Does anyone know?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Just After Sunset cover hasn't been posted anywhere (to my knowledge). When Mark mentioned to me a year or two ago that he had done art for the book, I asked if I could see it but I never did. I got the impression that even though it wasn't used on the final cover, he wanted to keep it "under wraps."
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I saw it and I can't believe it wasn't used. It's an incredible piece.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    I saw it and I can't believe it wasn't used. It's an incredible piece.
    Can you post it Ari? Would love to see it

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Sadly I don't have authorization to do so. I've just asked Mark anyway!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

This thread seems dead. Many broken links.
    Archive?

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'll ask Mark if he still have the prints for sale.

I noticed there's a question on the piece he did for Just After Sunset. The illustration is present in my book
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2