Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Mark Stutzman Prints

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Mark Stutzman Prints

Mark Stutzman is planning on issuing a limited edition series of the five prints based on the Stephen King covers he's done:

http://www.eloqui.com/Print%20Sales/KingPrints.html

To me, they seem a bit expensive, but...

Thanks to jflotx512 over at The Collector's Forum for this information.

John

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for the info but the price seems steep to a low brow like me.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm getting one for sure. The issue is that I can make up my mind which. I love 'em all!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

They are all great but I think they are $150 too expensive

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

WOW 295 a print is crazy

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    To me, they seem a bit expensive, but...
    You mean SUPER expensive.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think they're super expensive at all. Some artists have their prints and works cheaper and some don't. Michael Whelan, for instante, has one of his prints for U$S 499 (End of the Road) and I don't think it costs more or less than it should. And most of his other Dark Tower prints cost U$S 200 and I didn't even hesitate to get them. On the other hand, I got a print by Mark Geyer based on The Green Mile for 25 bucks I think and the quality, size and (IMHO) work is way lower than the prints by Whelan. I got a lot of prints from many different artists and many ended up rolled or in a folder because their quality wasn't the one I thought it was going to be. I regret that I bought some for 30-50 bucks, but I never thought for a second that I paid too much for my more expensive prints.

I saw one of Mark Stutzman's prints for sale and it left me breathless. I agree that he's one of my favorite artists (I can't remember how many times I suggested him to illustrate a S/L edition) and for that my opinion about the price might sound more positive than for others, but in order to do the comparison, once again IMHO, you gotta compare those prints with those that could reach more or less the same quality and talent from the artist. In my case, I can only compare him with Michael Whelan and I don't see a big difference in the prices.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    I don't think they're super expensive at all. Some artists have their prints and works cheaper and some don't. Michael Whelan, for instante, has one of his prints for U$S 499 (End of the Road) and I don't think it costs more or less than it should. And most of his other Dark Tower prints cost U$S 200 and I didn't even hesitate to get them. On the other hand, I got a print by Mark Geyer based on The Green Mile for 25 bucks I think and the quality, size and (IMHO) work is way lower than the prints by Whelan.

I saw one of Mark Stutzman's prints for sale and it left me breathless. I agree that he's one of my favorite artists (I can't remember how many times I suggested him to illustrate a S/L edition) and for that my opinion about the price might sound more positive than for others, but in order to do the comparison, once again IMHO, you gotta compare those prints with those that could reach more or less the same quality and talent from the artist. In my case, I can only compare him with Michael Whelan and I don't see a big difference in the prices.
    Heres my problem with the price - it is a PRINT of a body of work, not the original. Bernie Wrightsons prints for The Stand are amazing, yet he didn't issue them at 295 dollars a piece. Also, look at the IT art portfolio. The prints are very nice and cost a fraction of what his do.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I understand that but well...I think that a porfolio can't be compared to these prints. That porfolio has smaller prints with a lower quality paper and printed in b&w. Yes, I like it and have one, but it's a completely different item.

Again, if I have to compare it, I can only do it with Whelan's prints. Also a PRINT (not originals) and with more expensive prices than most of other artists. And MW's prices are perfectly okay.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with what Ari is saying. There is a big difference in fine art that is produced by the artist (or under his/her direct supervision) and portfolios produced by book publishers. I suspect that these Stutzman prints will be larger, on much higher quality paper and the image quality will be very, very close to the original painting.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

May be true but the cost versus the content is just not for me. I would love to support the artist but for me the <perceived> mark-up is to great.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

I think it'll take a hell of a long time to shift 500 prints

My Mood
    Inspired

Any way you look at it - a print Is a print and not the original and shouldn't be that crazy

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Does it state the size of these prints? Maybe I missed it.

I won't be buying this given the price, but that Suite package sure looks sweet.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    No. I looked for that too. It says that technical details are still being worked on.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    No. I looked for that too. It says that technical details are still being worked on.
    Thanks. It is fairly sizable dollar commitment for something with no stated size.

Given the price, this is something that I would only purchase with the intent to frame and display. For me, that would limit the choices to LISEY and DUMA. The bloody ones are definitely out.

Too rich too keep hidden away. I have KNOWING DARKNESS for that.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Thanks. It is fairly sizable dollar commitment for something with no stated size.

Given the price, this is something that I would only purchase with the intent to frame and display. For me, that would limit the choices to LISEY and DUMA. The bloody ones are definitely out.

Too rich too keep hidden away. I have KNOWING DARKNESS for that.
    I'm on the fence about getting them. I'm glad I don't have to decide today. I just don't have the wall space to hang very much more stuff. Then there is the expense of framing. Like you said, they are probably going to be too nice to just store in a closet.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Any way you look at it - a print Is a print and not the original and shouldn't be that crazy
    In this case yes, but as a general statement in the art world, that is not true.

I have an art degree in Printmaking(think engravings, woodcuts, etchings, lithgraphs, etc.). Real art prints are indeed originals and not reproductions of existing works.

Sorry. Didn't mean to derail the thread, but so much of the general public hears the word "Print" and thinks of what are essentially fancy posters with a limitation number on them, that it always frustrates me.
    Mark Twain

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Scoogs View Post
    In this case yes, but as a general statement in the art world, that is not true.

I have an art degree in Printmaking(think engravings, woodcuts, etchings, lithgraphs, etc.). Real art prints are indeed originals and not reproductions of existing works.

Sorry. Didn't mean to derail the thread, but so much of the general public hears the word "Print" and thinks of what are essentially fancy posters with a limitation number on them, that it always frustrates me.
    I don't think you are derailing the thread at all. I knew that printmaking was more than hitting the "print" button (which isn't much less complex that some of the "portfolios" that have been recently issued). But I didn't know nearly enough to start going into any details. In the art world $295 for a limited edition professionally done lithograph by a well known artist might even be considered reasonable. If you could (briefly) explain what all is involved it would be interesting.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Sure, any chance to educate others about printmaking is welcomed by me.
    I'll post that later tonight if I have a chance.
    Mark Twain

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool. Looking forward to it, Scoogs.

My Mood
    Inspired

Thats what I should have said - I know original etchings and wood carvings are original art - what I meant was a print of original art is still a reproduction no matter what quality paper its on or whatnot

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Thats what I should have said - I know original etchings and wood carvings are original art - what I meant was a print of original art is still a reproduction no matter what quality paper its on or whatnot
    Art can be a strange world. Limited Litho's can be very pricey. They usually have an original signature, but they are "reproductions as well. You really don't want to mess around in that world unless you know it or have an advocate. Hell, I sold a Ron Wood (AP) litho for $22,500.00!!!! I paid $1,500 plus framing. Go figure...
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

$300 a print just seems like too much. I mean...one could purchase a pretty nice stephen king book, even one that is signed, for $300. Which would you rather have???

Also, a print run for a lithograph seems like a really high number, especially when asking $300 a print. I think the following print numbers and prices would make more sense. Opinions

Print run of 500----$50 a print
    Print run of 250----($75-$85) a print
    Print run of 100----$150 a print
    Print run of 75----- $175 a print
    Print run of 50----- $250-$300

BUT NO...our reality is print run of 500----$300 a print!!!! most SK collectors can't justify that....nnow maybe in art circles $300 a print for these is a super bargain. I'd advises all of use to research this guy to see what his collectability is like. Regardless...i'm 99% not participating in this cash donation.

-G
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast