Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Catching Up with Reading the Nominated Novels

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

:caution: Catching Up with Reading the Nominated Novels

Has anyone been reading anything that's been nominated, but s/he didn't read it?

It might be important. Just imagine, one day you get around to reading one of the novels that ended up with zero seconding, and thus failed to make the list, and then you bang your head against the wall, screaming: "Why oh why didn't I read it before??? It is totally worthy to be among the Top 100, and I failed to make the difference!!!"

It's not too late yet.

I am now reading Geek Love, one of the nominees. If someone has been inspired by the nominations to read something s/he wasn't planning to (or was, but couldn't get around to reading), post here.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I am just about ready to start "Game of Thrones"!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Has anyone been reading anything that's been nominated, but s/he didn't read it?

It might be important. Just imagine, one day you get around to reading one of the novels that ended up with zero seconding, and thus failed to make the list, and then you bang your head against the wall, screaming: "Why oh why didn't I read it before??? It is totally worthy to be among the Top 100, and I failed to make the difference!!!"

It's not too late yet.

I am now reading Geek Love, one of the nominees. If someone has been inspired by the nominations to read something s/he wasn't planning to (or was, but couldn't get around to reading), post here.
    Jean, thanks for putting this thread up, and for reading Geek Love. I just finished reading P. D. James' novel Children of Men. This had been sitting on my shelf for a while and when I saw it pop up on the list I read it. I really enjoyed it, though I don't know if it 100 Best material. I thought The Handmaid's Tale, which had some similar themes was better, which is not to say it wasn't good. Very thought provoking and very compulsive. If you are a fan of dystopian novels this is a fine one to spend some time with.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

You know, I am considering a nomination of "The Passage", by Justin Cronin but cannot seem to make up my mind. In the end it probably should not make the "Top 100 list", but should be in the running until voted out. At least that is my thoughts.

I've got to nominate "The First Deadly Sin", by Lawrence Saunders.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Rabid Billybumbler DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of DoctorZaius has much to be proud of

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    You know, I am considering a nomination of "The Passage", by Justin Cronin but cannot seem to make up my mind. In the end it probably should not make the "Top 100 list", but should be in the running until voted out. At least that is my thoughts.

I loved The Passage! Nominate it!!! I have not read The Twelve yet. Have you?

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

I loved The Passage! Nominate it!!! I have not read The Twelve yet. Have you?
    Yes. It was good, but not quite as good as the first installment.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have finished Geek Love, and seconded it.

Dear friends, please read the zeros! There's still time till the end of September!! It would be heartbreaking to find out something worthy didn't make the list only because we never got around to reading it!

Now reading Ghost Story. It's not very low on the list, but it's the only one I could find so far of those I haven't read. I hope I will be able to find something with lower count before the time runs up.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

As soon as the Passage was nominated, it would be condemned as part of a series. Otherwise, I would have nominated it myself.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Country
    Country Flag

all separate novels are eligible

so are all sequels, prequels or any other -quels

unless two people swear that they are not novels, but parts of a multi-volume novel (which Passage doesn't seem to be)

so the best way is to nominate and then to wait

Country
    Country Flag

so? is anyone reading anything relevant?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Just read The Old Man and the Sea. I'll try and read zeros, Jean, but have to work with what I have. Also have non-nominated books to read. Reading Blindness, I imagine I'll be nominating it when done, if it hasn't already been. Wish I could read more but spending 30 hours a week working on my own novel can limit the urge to read someone else's. I may nominate books for my friend, since he kept the EW list that spawned our list, that and he has no time to post here having four kids, but he's always been member in spirit.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Country
    Country Flag

reading: Watership Down.

It's too late to read the zeroes now, but high time to read the ones that already have made, or have a very good chance to make, the list! The voting has already started, and will go on for quite a long time (to arrange the novels in proper order), so I really really recommend all of us to read as many as we can.

Country
    Country Flag

reading: American Psycho.

is anyone else reading anything form the list???

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Carole Ledoux View Post
    reading: American Psycho.

is anyone else reading anything form the list???
    I've been meaning to read The Terror.

Country
    Country Flag

you'll never be able to finish it before this round ends, but it's great that you are at least planning to read it, an incredible book

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

I have finished Geek Love, and seconded it.

Dear friends, please read the zeros! There's still time till the end of September!! It would be heartbreaking to find out something worthy didn't make the list only because we never got around to reading it!

Now reading Ghost Story. It's not very low on the list, but it's the only one I could find so far of those I haven't read. I hope I will be able to find something with lower count before the time runs up.
    I would love to hear your thoughts on Geek Love since I nominated it in the first place. I appreciate your giving it a go.

Country
    Country Flag

I liked it. It is hard to say anything specific - the book kinda speaks for itself, quite explicitly. It drags in the middle, where the morbid curiosity has faded and nothing much happens, but in the end it is quite satisfactory. It seems to me Dunn scarred Palahniuk for life - he doesn't seem to have ever said anything she hasn't.

Country
    Country Flag

finished American Psycho; it was good. Even though I hate it when the narrative is in the present tense, and I absolutely abhor the stream of the consciousness, it was still good. I am glad it made our Top 100

now reading Cloud Atlas, only 12% in, but it's fucking delightful! I can't believe it didn't get enough votes! Probably too few people read it...

+ Reply to Thread