Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: Doctor Sleep UK Signed edition limited to 200 copies

Gunslinger Apprentice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My 2 cents...on the one hand I also don't feel okay asking more than the issued price + the extra costs for shipping, but on the other hand there are lots of books I'd like to add to my collection for which I also need to pay a premium. The bit of profit I can make this time (opportunities like this don't happen too often) allows me to add some other books to my collection which cost a lot more than the issue price. Isn't that the way most of us collectors like to build their collection?

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

It seemed a little spammy when it was the same message over and over again but if there was a mix up then hopefully this can get straightened out.

Gunslinger Apprentice Greg will become famous soon enough Greg will become famous soon enough Greg's Avatar

My Mood
    Relaxed
    Country
    Country Flag

As many know there has been a situation recently where J K Rowling released a book under a pseudonym and a very small number were signed under said pseudonym and sold via Goldsboro in the UK. This title was sold by the bookseller for £16.99 and are now selling on eBay for upwards of £2800. I know this is a very rare instance but it gives an indication that if someone wants something badly enough they will virtually re-mortgage.
    Now a print run of 200 for a UK King Ltd gives the book a greater rarity than the US edition but we all know US editions are more sought after regardless of print run. Keeping North America out of the loop may have some bearing on re-sale value and therefore asking for a return of +%75 isn't over the top, it may be the case that these books maybe undervalued when Joyland is selling for +%400. It does come down to issue price I know but surely as is shown by J K Rowling/Robert Galbraith, something is only worth what someone is prepared to pay.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sharki69 View Post
    I have a friend in UK for shipping, however they won't let me use US billing address (paying with US CC).... thoughts ?
    Make him pay & paypal him the money?
    it wont be charged before the beginning of september. at least what i was told.
    Anyway, that's what i am doing for 2 fellow american collectors & friends here. Without taking any profit for me, simply the pleasure to help some friends that have helped me a lot, several times.
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by herbertwest View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharki69 View Post
    I have a friend in UK for shipping, however they won't let me use US billing address (paying with US CC).... thoughts ?
    Make him pay & paypal him the money?
    it wont be charged before the beginning of september. at least what i was told.
    Anyway, that's what i am doing for 2 fellow american collectors & friends here. Without taking any profit for me, simply the pleasure to help some friends that have helped me a lot, several times.
    Thanks herbert. I guess now I will find out who my friends are...

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by subie09lega View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    ...But seriously folks, any interest in a signed copy of Doctor Sleep?
    This is obviously a polarizing issue....I know you're trying to defray your cost but I would probably be interested if I knew that I wasn't paying a 75% markup for a book so the seller would only need to pay 25% for their copy. When I see this, it just makes me think that I'm being told that I can get a copy if I buy one for you, too.
    But I'm sure someone is willing to pay for it. Looks like TV got £377.77 for his copy on ebay. Good luck with the sale.
    Let the firestorm begin.
    ....and yes I understand capitalism.
    Been thinking about this post for a while, and finally figured out what bothered me about it.

If I read your post correctly, what I'm hearing is your issue is not so much with the inflated price, but rather my reason behind it.

Really?
    You have issue paying a premium for a book when the reason is to help fund the purchase of another King book for a collector?

I don't know about other collectors, but I for one would much rather pay a premium for a book I wanted if it was for sale by someone I knew was also a collector, and was using those additional funds to help further their own collection, as opposed to some stranger off eBay who was more than likely just in it for the absolute profit (the guy selling 12 signed copies of Joyland springs to mind).

I'm not really worried about people who have an issue with people selling books for profit, like I said above it will only sell if there is a market for it, and its a fun topic to discuss (although we may have to change the title of this thread lol), but having issue with the reason behind selling a book for profit is a bit weird to me....

Along the Path of the Beam Highbury is on a distinguished road Highbury's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There is a reason why the companies designate a purchase as one per person or household. I think it's clear they want to encourage as many individuals who want one to get one. Not to have someone skirt it for profitable gain by hoarding even just 1 more than you truly wish to own.

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    Been thinking about this post for a while, and finally figured out what bothered me about it.
    If I read your post correctly, what I'm hearing is your issue is not so much with the inflated price, but rather my reason behind it.
    Really?
    You have issue paying a premium for a book when the reason is to help fund the purchase of another King book for a collector?
    I don't know about other collectors, but I for one would much rather pay a premium for a book I wanted if it was for sale by someone I knew was also a collector, and was using those additional funds to help further their own collection, as opposed to some stranger off eBay who was more than likely just in it for the absolute profit (the guy selling 12 signed copies of Joyland springs to mind).
    I'm not really worried about people who have an issue with people selling books for profit, like I said above it will only sell if there is a market for it, and its a fun topic to discuss (although we may have to change the title of this thread lol), but having issue with the reason behind selling a book for profit is a bit weird to me....
    Thanks for your thoughts Jimimck. I'll try to clarify.
    I have no problem paying a markup on a book, especially if it's another collector. I'm glad that there are people like you providing this service to those who want a copy but, due to the publisher's policies, don't have access to it. I just think that the markup that I've seen is unreasonable but, like I said, there are others that feel fine paying it. If I feel like I'm being gouged more than helped by someone then it turns me off to the deal. In this instance, I see someone charging sizable markup to 1. order a book (minimal effort) and then 2. forward that book to someone (a little more effort).
    Do I think it's worth what you're asking? No, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't ask what you think is fair for your efforts.

Gunslinger Apprentice RIC #520 will become famous soon enough RIC #520 will become famous soon enough

Here are my thoughts on this conflict between twisted and steerpike. If the intent is to sell books at profit, then the business should take place in “Collectible Classifieds” tread. The collector discussion threads are for active members to discussion, debate, share information and help each other get “hook up” on something they are looking for. First of all, the members that "live" in these discussion threads are typically not going to pay retail or even prices that can be obtain on eBay. So steerpike, as you are finding out , you are more than likely wasting your time in trying to sell in a thread like this. Naturally, well established members will have the benefit to get away with trying to sell something here more so than someone just coming here for selling only. So, stick with the “Collectible Classifieds” tread or join in a discussion of “Doctor Sleep UK Signed edition limited to 200 copies” as this tread was intended… If possible, let’s lay this to rest…
    Wanted:
    DT1 Gunslinger S/L #96
    Any DT or DT related books #96

John F. Kennedy Steerpike is on a distinguished road

Thanks RIC - I am still finding my way around (did not know there was a "Collectable Classifieds" section). I'll finish my own "contribution" by adding that the copies for sale via the Analecta site are not as-issued, with a big mark-up - a heck of a lot of work, co-ordination and additional fees (artists included) went into these, and the price reflects that. Nuff said on that, for my part. And this is completely aside from the downright rudeness of some of DT's members.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
    Thanks RIC - I am still finding my way around (did not know there was a "Collectable Classifieds" section). I'll finish my own "contribution" by adding that the copies for sale via the Analecta site are not as-issued, with a big mark-up - a heck of a lot of work, co-ordination and additional fees (artists included) went into these, and the price reflects that. Nuff said on that, for my part. And this is completely aside from the downright rudeness of some of DT's members.
    It's fine that you are learning the ropes but I really don't think anyone was all that rude to you, some were having a bit of fun with your multiple posts but nothing excessive, I've seen what some people are capable of on here and trust me, no one was rude, some were joking, including me, and you took it as being at your expense when you should have joked back, it's really nothing to get so bent out of shape over, no one meant you any harm by it and calling potential customers rude isn't all that great of a strategy either, I came on these boards for over a year before I decided to join because I wanted to know what the people were like and how I should approach some and maybe even avoid others given my personality and theirs and how I think they might clash, if anyone was rude it might have been you for blurting out multiple posts of the same thing over and over again and many different threads

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe you could have introduced yourself first, explained who you were and then posted in the classifieds or correct thread about your books?
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by becca69 View Post
    Maybe you could have introduced yourself first, explained who you were and then posted in the classifieds or correct thread about your books?
    Sounds logical

Thanks - for reasons detailed by another DT chap, my posts were blocked for screening as I was new (hence the multiple postings).

And I believe I have already stated that I did not know there was a Classified ads section. Cut me some slack guys, I repeat - I'm new.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Steerpike,

Coming from someone who has had to rebuild his reputation here - trust me you got off easy. Make sure before browsing around you check and see where posts are supposed to go and before selling/buying you make sure to let everyone know who you are.

Thanks Kingfan, but I respectfully disagree - there's no excuse for rudeness.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Let's move on and get back on topic.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Gunslinger Apprentice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL is just really nice MarcoL's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    I 2nd your suggestion!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post

John

Agreed

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
    And I believe I have already stated that I did not know there was a Classified ads section. Cut me some slack guys, I repeat - I'm new.
    I agree. Let's get back on topic (after a short diatribe by me). Sorry that things got off on the wrong foot. Perhaps we can all move forward in a positive fashion and put this begind us. Chalk it up to a misunderstanding, spam software, and a new person finding his way around who should have been helped and not criticized.
    Steerpike, it's nice to see you posting. If you have questions, feel free to ask publicly or PM me.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Steerpike, why don't you put the link to your business in your signature? That would be a big help for a lot of us here.

John

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Back on topic re discussing this book, I saw a post last night saying there are still 20 copies available from the publisher for those who can order outside of the US...

As a complete aside - does anyone collect first editions of the non-King titles referred to in The Dark Tower? "Chylde Roland..." for instance, and I know there are a number of others..........

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast