Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Book Collection : SystemCrashOverRide

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Fill us in!
    Alright, alright. I had planned to make a post telling the whole story including lots of photos, but the photos are at home and I suppose I can tell the story now and share the photos later, so here we are:

I found an ad on Kijiji here in Ontario for a large lot, someones entire collection. Specifically the bookshelf worth of books you saw above. Now I noticed the Grant edition of The Gunslinger as well as The Drawing of the Three and immediately contacted him. I did ask him point blank if it was a first edition first printing, and he someone reluctantly said that yes it was and that "They're all original, I bought them and read them once" - his general tone was of a casual collector, someone who loved King but who didn't seem to have knowledge of the "collector" oriented details - such as first vs second editions.

So that being said, I knew I was shooting in the dark. A quick check on Stephen King Collector and I found out the production run was the same for the 1st and 2nd from Grant (10'000 each). I figured, what the hell, it's a coin toss right? Not to mention the fact that I've only ever seen one Grant copy of the Gunslinger before, and it's the one I bought, completely ripped and taped up and signed (by the owner, not king) so I thought it would be an upgrade regardless.

Here's the catch, the guy was three hours away. So that's a six hour round trip and a 50/50 chance that it's a 1st 1st... I didn't *really* want to ask him to check the fine print for fear of him getting curious why I was being so nosy about that ONE book in his collection and hopping on eBay to find out. So I said screw it, talked the girlfriend into a Sunday road trip, and drove out to no-where Ontario.

Not a bad drive, all highway and only one tank of gas. Get there and he lives down a dirt road that looks like it should end in a creepy mansion or a murder shack, turns out there are a few homes of mostly retiree's. Guy was friendly older man, arms covered in tattoos, and the first thing he says when I get there "I forgot to mention, I lent out my copy of Gunslinger a while back".

My heart sank.

But then he lead me into the room with the book shelf, and there it was, just like in the photo. He continued "So this one is a little different than the other one I had, this is an ex-library book, I totally forgot to mention it when you asked".

Talk about a roller coaster of emotions. One moment he has it, then it's gone, then he has it again but it's a library book. Sadness, happiness, finally followed by...apathy? I didn't really know how to feel. Mostly I was confused, I couldn't really tell if he was trying to fleece me or just generally an old guy who didn't really know what he had and who had forgotten. I gave him the benefit of the doubt and had a look.

Now here's where I would plug all the photos in, and maybe I'll edit them in tonight when I get home. It was wrapped in a Brodart-esque mylar dust jacket, as you would expect from a library book, that was almost white from micro scratches and plastic fade. It was really hard to tell how the dust jacket looked underneath but it seemed to be holding up alright. There was some residue on the end pages from where the sign-in/sign-out sheet should have been, but it was removed. There was also a number stamped on the top right corner of the end page. Lastly there was the name of the library stamped on the top and bottom of the pages. The library plastic jacket was also taped to the boards.

We had a conversation about money at that point. I explained that I had asked him on the phone because I was a collector and wanted it for my own collection, and the fact that it was a library book definitely changed things. I changed my offer on the whole collection based on what I knew, and he countered with a bit more. I stuck to my guns and reiterated that I had driven a long way for these. He agreed to my new offer.

However! The Grant edition of The Drawing of the Three was in fact a first edition, in excellent shape, and not a library book. I packed up the whole collection (55 books, give or take) and he handed me a bunch of other odds and ends he had picked up over the years, THOSE turned out to be pretty interesting but I'll share more when I have photos. Nothing super rare, but lots of little additions to the collection that I didn't already own.

Weedeater jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp is a splendid one to behold jonp's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool story. Can't wait for the pictures. Well done Chase.

*EDIT* You're one up on me, I don't have a first Gunslinger.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I love the stories man.. I really do. I once drove an hour and a half for some books. LOL Not as far but at least you got something. I found her on Kjiji and she had a King collection she was selling. I got there and she wasnt home but I could see all the books by her door and it was tough to tell but there looked to be a Carrie, Stand and SHinning there.. I was losing it as we had came to a price of like $90 for the lot. I had to head back to the city but my parents were in the town near this woman. I asked her if she had bought them when they came out... ( like you , not wanting to elude that there could be value there) and she said yep. ANyways a week later my mother got the lot... paid for them... and they were all beat up (she told me they were mint and I could not quite tell through the curtain/window)... OH and they were ALL BCE's. haha I kept them all though.. and put them on a shelf away from my nice stuff. lol and if anyone asks to borrow a book... well I have no problem giving them one. haha
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice story... I just happened to see your set of the Pratchett paperbacks... it brought back a flood of memories.. back in the day when I owned a bookstore, like 20+ years ago, Terry Pratchett did a signing there and he signed all the paperbacks that were published at the time. The same Corgi editions you have on the shelf... I should post them some time in my collection thread... They're all in boxes right now and would have to dig real deep to find them...

Citizen of Gilead SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide is a name known to all SystemCrashOverRide's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Couple of interesting things to note. It appears 95% of the books I picked up are first editions, it also looks as though he removed the dust jackets while reading them, so most of the DJ's are in great shape...while the books show wear from being read. I've spent a few hours listening to some records and Brodarting the collection, but I wanted to show of some of the items that I found interesting / that I didn't already own.

First things first, here's the infamous library book:

And in the new Brodart dust jacket:

The Drawing of the Three:

Here are the other items I found to be of interest:

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats !!
    GREAT Story, supernice books !!!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice haul!!! Sigh, I remember dearly when I still needed those crucial early editions to really legitimize (IMHO) my collection and the joy that went along with finally obtaining them!! Treasure the moment and then on to "Upgrades"!!! LOL

Congrats!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Might I ask what you paid? You got some nice stuff there man!!!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

I had considered keeping that to myself, but I don't think it really matters, if anyone here is ever interested in buying or trading then I'm sure we'll work off what it's worth, not what was spent.

He initially wanted $275 for the collection. I had offered him $240 in the hopes that the Gunslinger was a better copy than it is, but upon seeing it was a library book I amended my offer to $180. He countered with $200 and I said $180 was what I was prepared to offer him. He accepted.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    I had considered keeping that to myself, but I don't think it really matters, if anyone here is ever interested in buying or trading then I'm sure we'll work off what it's worth, not what was spent.

He initially wanted $275 for the collection. I had offered him $240 in the hopes that the Gunslinger was a better copy than it is, but upon seeing it was a library book I amended my offer to $180. He countered with $200 and I said $180 was what I was prepared to offer him. He accepted.
    I think you did very well. I suspect in future you wont be satisfied with condition of some of those and will eventually spend more in replacing them but sold individually you will get way higher than the total paid. Plus, regardless of condition you now have a Gunslinger 1st! There are still many people here with extensive collections (as per Jon's example) that do not!

spolier
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Country
    Country Flag

Great deal man.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Country
    Country Flag

*ahem* here we go again. Will report back soon. That is all.

Country
    Country Flag

Story time once again. Another local buy and sell collection buy, But this time with a signed copy. Seller sounded nice, 60 ish book collection, with a signed copy of On Writing. I did see a photo of the Sig and it looked good, so I made the trek out to buy the lot... again. This time it was an hour each way. Well, yeah, the lady forgot to inform me that her Fucking dog had gone to town on it. Yup. This is what I got;

Thankfully, I had another copy on hand, with a nice clean dust jacket... So I threw that on with some Brodart and it looks a hell of a lot more presentable;

And the collection had a few more books which I didn't already own;

And this is what I've picked up between the last haul and this one combined and shelved;

The lot I picked up today was $100, and it *doubled* my number of King signatures...

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Good deal... I'm no good at finding sharp deals... The tears and tooth marks from the dog is quite funny. If it was a copy of Cujo, it would have been even funnier... Brodart's always make a book look like a million bucks.....Congratulations...

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Good deal... I'm no good at finding sharp deals... The tears and tooth marks from the dog is quite funny. If it was a copy of Cujo, it would have been even funnier... Brodart's always make a book look like a million bucks.....Congratulations...
    Thanks Zelig, I just saw your collection posts with your DT books and just about fell off my chair. That is a *phenomenal* collection sir. You're also right, I hadn't thought about it Cujo relating to bite marks, but that would have been perfect, that made me chuckle.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by SystemCrashOverRide View Post
    Thanks Zelig, I just saw your collection posts with your DT books and just about fell off my chair. That is a *phenomenal* collection sir. You're also right, I hadn't thought about it Cujo relating to bite marks, but that would have been perfect, that made me chuckle.
    Hey, thanks so much. Really appreciate the comment.

Country
    Country Flag

Some progress, more coming soon.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks sharp. What's with the multiple copies of the same book? I know we see that a lot and usually each is unique in some way. Was just curious about yours.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Ooooh nice! I always secretly wanted a collection with multiple 'identical' copies of each title. It's one of the reasons I love Bob's collection so much. It just looks awesome to have them all lined up (with the proofs neatly in between, just like Bob has them displayed). But I fear I won't be able to explain that to my wife. I did own three or four copies of UK The Stand (the original 1979 edition) at one time but that's the only time I got carried away a little...

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Love the bookshelves. Your collection is coming along great.

Ralph
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Country
    Country Flag

Looks sharp. What's with the multiple copies of the same book? I know we see that a lot and usually each is unique in some way. Was just curious about yours.
    The last few collections I bought (to get a few select pieces of said collection) we're pretty complete, so that's why there's three sets of each. Almost. I will be pairing them down, keeping the nicest copy of each. Makes for some trade bait as well. The more collectible versions I hope to pick up will bump most of these copies off the shelf eventually.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Ah, okay. Makes sense. Thanks.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    Love the bookshelves. Your collection is coming along great.

Ralph
    My sentiments exactly!!! Nice going my brother from another mother!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

Something wonderful came in the mail today. I can thank a certain Caretaker for taking care of me and my collection.

Lined up with some other pieces. It feels SO good to have the Grant line up.

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Very nice! Congratulations.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast