Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 100 Novels of All Time - General Discussion

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

what Dan said

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    *shrugs* Most of my other picks were already selected and I wanted to nominate a Joe Hill book.
    Please second everything you would have nominated yourself -- Jean says that counts as preliminary votes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    Last of the Mohicans is a great novel.
    is it a seconding?
    Well, The Waste Lands is a great novel.
    What do you think about that?

I guess it's your decision, but surely you can't accept both of these:

Last of the Mohicans, The 1
    Leatherstocking 1
    One is part of the other.
    Perplexing for the same reason to accept both

Lord of the Rings 6
    and
    Silmarillion, The 0

I think greatly enjoying a novel is reason enough to consider it "best". The only thing one may want to think about is whether or not there are 100 others s/he has overlooked. Hence, it's a very good idea to look around - not to let someone influence one's opinion, of course, but, as you said, to refresh one's memory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I personally don't care whether the results are considered "professional". I thought this was a list of 100 Top Novels of All Time BY DTD members. One thing that drives me crazy is that one feels like they must like something because it is liked by a critic or another group. People are different with different opinions (many probably don't agree with what I'm saying), so why should we have a specific book on our list just because it's on a list by Time Magazine, etc.
    ^ ^
    Both very fine arguments.

Traveler Dreamweapon will become famous soon enough Dreamweapon will become famous soon enough Dreamweapon's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

+1s to:

A Clockwork Orange
    It
    Weaveworld

Nominate:

Only Forward Michael Marshall Smith

Reason for nomination: I like it.

dw

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Unfortunately I haven't read anything by Cooper (I might be the only Soviet boy who hasn't...), that's why I am asking for clarification. From what I gathered, both the nominations are accomplished novels, with their only beginning, middle and ending, rather than an "ongoing story".

On the other hand, I have read both TLotR and Silmarrillion (although I could never finish the latter), and to my mind S. is by no means part of TLotR, nor the other way, nor are both parts of some third whole. We could discuss endlessly on how they are related, but TLotR is a separate novel. An author can (as Tolkien apparently did) spend all his life developing the same theme, with the same characters and landscapes, but a novel is an accomplished piece of prose, set inside a frame. And the frame is the beginning and the denouements of the "ongoing story". Prequels, sequels, additions of lore, comments, guides, margin notes - nothing matters. (do I have to add "in my opinion" every time, or can we just assume it?)

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Leatherstocking Tales
    --The Deerslayer
    --The Last of the Mohicans
    --The Pathfinder
    --The Pioneers
    --The Prairie

For additional clarification, you'll have to ask someone else. My opinion is, it's one story.

If you had finished The Silmarillion, you'd know that it tells the same events of the Lord of the Rings. Certainly, they are separate in a rational sense of being framed and published differently, but I was under the impression that such rational points were immaterial before the matter of "coherent story." Still seems like arbitrary selective enforcement to my mind. One minute, one rule for one series, the next minute, that rule does not apply on some other series.

Country
    Country Flag

Mike, I totally fail to understand you this time. I've been trying to be as consistent as I can. I have always thought that TLotR and Silmarillion were two separate works of fiction (for lack of a better word), though written on much the same topic. It is possible to write separate novels, stories, poems and series about the same.

If there's anything approximating consensus that TLotR and Silmarillion are parts of each other or of somehting else, I'll amend the list accordingly.

On the other hand, it's very easy to criticize any approach. I can do it myself. Unless I missed something (which is possible; then I apologize and ask for a link) you haven't given your definition of a novel yet. I have, and am trying to keep to it. If you give yours, it will be easier for me to understand what you mean.

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

if you read The Silmarillion you may notice that a lot of characters and places were rehashed in LoTR

Country
    Country Flag

yes, and doesn't it mean that they are not supposed to be parts of the same whole?

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

A novel tells a cohesive story beginning to end. Therefore, since the dark tower, if read straight through, tells a cohesive. Whereas Harry Potter, to my knowledge, continues characters and mythology, but does separate individual installment plots from arching plot, and the dark tower does not. The Brothers Karamazov, at the time, was released in four installments, does that make it not a novel but a series?
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I second Slaughterhouse-Five and Pride and Prejudice.

Nominating Ivanhoe by Sir Walter Scott. (Another must-read for Soviet kids - isn't it, Jean?)
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Country
    Country Flag

yes!!! seconded

I would nominate Sabatini's Captain Blood, which is totally my favorite novel, but I am afraid nobody except us Soviet kids has read it...

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I nominate The Hobbit.
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

yes!!! seconded

I would nominate Sabatini's Captain Blood, which is totally my favorite novel, but I am afraid nobody except us Soviet kids has read it...
    Who knows, we are a diverse crowd here, with quite a few voracious readers. So anything is possible.
    If you do nominate Captain Blood, count my vote.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Ben-Hur Lew Wallace

Second Ivanhoe

Unless I missed something (which is possible; then I apologize and ask for a link) you haven't given your definition of a novel yet. I have, and am trying to keep to it. If you give yours, it will be easier for me to understand what you mean.
    I think we can either by agreement treat as one any work of the same author who gave it a unifying title, or else call nothing one novel unless it was published as a novel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattrick View Post
    The Brothers Karamazov, at the time, was released in four installments, does that make it not a novel but a series?
    Maybe. But I think we should permit every series into this contest, so that's moot.
    the dark tower, if read straight through, tells a cohesive
    As if! The Dark Tower is approximately as coherent as a bag of jello! It has a beginning, middle, and end only if you put author's intentions ahead of good sense.
    Harry Potter, to my knowledge, continues characters and mythology, but does separate individual installment plots
    Jean is calling Harry Potter one novel anyway, though. Well, hey, why not? If you're going to base the distinction on form alone, then you could as easily slice up books which are divided into chapters and make those run against novels written with no chapter breaks. If you happen to have the personal impression that certain chapters are "complete and cohesive stories," that is.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Man, this thread is sliding downhill faster than an Olympic Luge!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

The notes in my Karamazov expressed Coopers popularity in Russia, which surprised me. I've Mohicans but haven't read it yet.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Oh, we'll work it out. Not as serious as it appears, really. The debate on policy is pretty minor, it just keeps getting tangled with deep discussion of theory. As soon as we quit trying to reach agreement upon the latter, it will be easy to reach an agreement upon the former.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Oh, we'll work it out. Not as serious as it appears, really. The debate on policy is pretty minor, it just keeps getting tangled with deep discussion of theory. As soon as we quit trying to reach agreement upon the latter, it will be easy to reach an agreement upon the former.
    Just a suggestion, but since it's "Jean'" baby maybe we should just let him be the final word and move on? Then if he chooses to amend the first post rules, we note it and go from there? Seems to me there is a lot of work in front of us and I'm sure we all want to make this right. Prolonging the debate only slows the nomination process (IMHO) and I agree we should have close to 200 nominations before we start voting.

Still no love for "The Godfather"? The ultimate "Mob" tome?

I'll nominate, Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, Robert Louis Stevenson

Spoiler:
    BTW, much as I love Tolkien (and if you have ever visited my collection thread or others I have created you will know I do), "The Silmarillion" is not in any, way, shape or form a part of the LOTR trilogy. Technically, it wasn't even published by him, but was a collection of anecdotes, notes and lore put together by his son after his death. That's, of course, just MHO. To me, it's more like Bev's "Road to the Dark Tower" than anything else and not a particularly great read either.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Excellent choice, Merlin! (And I still need to finish the Godfather, although I've certainly loved everything I've read so far!)
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    Excellent choice, Merlin! (And I still need to finish the Godfather, although I've certainly loved everything I've read so far!)
    Finally, an offer I can't refuse!! LOL Thanks for the support!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

The Strange Case of Dr Jeklyll and Mr Hyde

R.V.STEVENSON?

Country
    Country Flag

Don't we already have The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on the list of nominations? I remember seconding it a while earlier.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by RainInSpain View Post
    Don't we already have The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on the list of nominations? I remember seconding it a while earlier.
    When your right..... Your right. OUR BAD Just add two more votes for the GOOD Doctor.

Country
    Country Flag

guys, please don't forget to second!!!! in this round, it means voting!!!!!!!!!!

James, I mean you. Yes, you.

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I'm trying to be constructive. I'm sorry if it came across otherwise.
    I still feel that what will slow the nomination process and put more work in front of us is unnecessarily dividing some series.
    And it's basically unfair if chosen series only get to break the "three per author" rule.

"The Silmarillion" is not in any, way, shape or form a part of the LOTR trilogy.
    I agree. It's the other way around: the trilogy is part of the Silmarillion.
    But never mind, if such tangential discussions just waste time.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 28 ... LastLast