Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 100 Novels of All Time - General Discussion

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    A lot of different book series use cliffhangers and continue from volume to volume, even some written by multiple writers. And it's still debatable, (if not having a complete story or "real" ending makes each volume not a novel) whether TDT as a whole has a "complete" story or good enough ending.
    "debate"and "discuss" are two different words. I was discussing. I believe you are debating. Regardless, I am cool with whatever the popular opinion is thought to be. Bottom line, I think we are very close to actual voting for a definitive TDT.Org list!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Debating can still be done in a civilized manner, participants just have to learn to curb their condescension.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Stebbins View Post
    Debating can still be done in a civilized manner, participants just have to learn to curb their condescension.
    It's cool. Let's move on?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Foundation Trilogy spans 500 years.
    Here is what we're talking about:

Novels nominated with series credentials:
    Dark Tower
    Da Vinci Code
    Dragonriders of Pern
    Dune
    Foundation trilogy
    Harry Potter
    Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    Interview With The Vampire
    Lord of the Rings
    Out of the Silent Planet
    Silence of the Lambs
    Song of Ice and Fire

Nominated novels possessing sequels:
    20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
    Adventures of Huckleberry Finn
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
    Old Yeller
    Shining

Nominated novels suspected of series status:
    Ender's Game
    Rabbit series

Series nominated, currently in suspension:
    Chronicles of Narnia
    Earthsea Quartet
    Hunger Games
    Sword of Truth

It would be a shame to have to disqualify all these great books. Series's existence has pros and cons for voters; I think non-series novels can still compete if we also allow all series to enter a novel. We ought to consolidate as many as possible, (for example, count Silmarillion as part of LotR) so that they don't compete with themselves, take up more slots, and throw things off further for all the list.

However, a separation into two contests is not out of the question to me, if many support it and Jean is willing to take added work.

I just don't personally endorse trying to re-categorize the banned list with theoretical information. Are there other ideas on how to be fair and accurate?

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Old Yeller has a sequel?

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

I still might have missed some among other noms.

Servant of Gan Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker has a brilliant future Lurker's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Wouldn't The Da Vinci Code be a sequel to Angels and Demons, Langdon's first adventure (a much better book if you ask me).

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Dan Brown books are not a series in the sense that The Dark Tower is or Harry Potter. They're self-contained novels that happen to feature the same character.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nominating NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote Originally Posted by fearless-freak View Post
    Old Yeller has a sequel?
    Yes and was even a Disney film in 1963
    Spoiler:

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Nominating NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.

Really? As one of the 100 best of all time?

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...l=1#post794271

And with that, I believe it is time to go forth and do other things. Best of wishes folks!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Merlin: all around.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

bears second Great Expectations

dear friends, thank you for the discussion, there's been many a sound argument

I'll say something that (hopefully) might make sense as soon as I feel better, now can only try to update the current results.

Please bear with me. (what did I just say????)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Updates

1984 11
    20,000 Leagues Under The Sea 4
    Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The 8
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (and Through the Looking-Glass) 8
    All Quiet on The Western Front 3
    American Psycho 1
    American Tragedy, An 1
    Andromeda Strain, The 4
    Animal Farm 5
    As I Lay Dying 1
    Ball and the Cross, The 0
    Battlefield Earth 1
    Battle Royale 0
    Beloved 0
    Black Water 1
    Bonfire of the Vanities, The 1
    Brave New World 3
    Breakfast of Champions 1
    Broken Sword, The 0
    Candide 4
    Carrion Comfort 1
    Castle, The 2
    Catch-22 4
    Catcher in the Rye, The 7
    Charlotte's Web 3
    Children of Men 0
    Clockwork Orange, A 3
    Cloud Atlas 1
    Count of Monte Cristo, The 2
    Crime and Punishment 4
    Dark Tower, The 10
    David Copperfield 3
    Da Vinci Code, The 2
    Don Quixote 3
    Dracula 5
    Dragonriders of Pern 0
    Dune 3
    East of Eden 1
    Ender’s Game 1
    Everything is Illuminated 1
    Exorcist, The 6
    Fahrenheit 451 10
    Fight Club 4
    Finnegan's Wake 0
    Foucault's Pendulum 0
    Foundation 2
    Frankenstein 2
    Gone with the Wind 1
    Geek Love 0
    Ghost Story 3
    Glass Bead Game, The 3
    Godfather, The 0
    Great Expectations 1
    Great Gatsby, The 1
    Gulliver's Travels 4
    Handmaid's Tale, The 0
    Harry Potter 6
    Haunting of Hill House, The 3
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, The 4
    I Am Legend 5
    Interview With The Vampire 3
    It 8
    Jane Eyre 3
    Jaws 1
    Journey to the Center of the Earth 2
    Jurassic Park 2
    Karamazov Brothers, The 2
    Kim 2
    Liaisons dangereuses, Les 0
    Life of Pi 1
    Little Women 1
    Lolita 4
    Long Walk, The 5
    Lord Of The Flies 12
    Lord of the Rings 6
    Lost World, The 3
    Lucky Jim 0
    Man in the High Castle, The 0
    Master and Margarita, The 1
    Misérables, Les 3
    Monk, The 0
    Moon Is A Harsh Mistress, The 0
    Musashi 0
    Northanger Abbey 3
    NOS4A2 0
    Notes From Underground 0
    Of Mice and Men 5
    Old Man and the Sea, The 1
    Old Yeller 0
    One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest 4
    On the Beach 0
    On the Road 0
    Out of the Silent Planet 0
    Outsiders, The 4
    Pilgrimage: The Book of the People 0
    Portnoy's Complaint 0
    Princess Bride, The 0
    Psycho 2
    Rabbit Series 0
    Ready Player One 0
    Rebecca 0
    Red Badge of Courage, The 0
    Road, The 4
    Robinson Crusoe 2
    Room 0
    Rosemary's Baby 2
    Scarlet Letter, The 3
    Silence of the Lambs, The 3
    Silmarillion, The 0
    Simple Plan, A 0
    Shining, The 5
    Slaughterhouse-Five 3
    Something Wicked This Way Comes 0
    Song of Ice and Fire, A 5
    Sound and the Fury, The 0
    Stand, The 11
    Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde 5
    Stranger, The 2
    Strangers on a Train 1
    Taiko 0
    Terror, The 3
    Thief of Always, The 2
    To Kill a Mockingbird 14
    Treasure Island 6
    Trial, The 1
    Turn of the Screw, The 3
    War and Peace 1
    War of the Worlds 3
    Water for Elephants 0
    We 1
    Where the Red Fern Grows 1
    Wind-Up Bird Chronicle 0
    Wuthering Heights 3

Country
    Country Flag

we have nominated 133 novels

the leaders are:

To Kill a Mockingbird 14
    Lord Of The Flies 12
    1984 11
    Stand, The 11
    Dark Tower, The 10
    Fahrenheit 451 10
    Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The 8
    Alice's Adventures in Wonderland (and Through the Looking-Glass) 8
    It 8
    Catcher in the Rye, The 7
    Exorcist, The 6
    Harry Potter 6
    Lord of the Rings 6
    Treasure Island 6

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Leatherstocking James Fenimore Cooper

Second Jane Eyre, East of Eden, Rosemary's Baby, Crime and Punishment, Strangers on a Train, Bonfire of the Vanities, Robinson Crusoe, Something Wicked This Way Comes, Red Badge of Courage, Gone with the Wind, Les Misérables, Great Expectations

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will add one to Rosemary's Baby, having just finished it last week.

Country
    Country Flag

If I haven't already voted for Crime and Punishment, I'd like to add one to its tally.

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

If we're going to have a Cooper novel, then I nominate last of the Mohicans. Just wish I read French.

I also move that as soon as the resolution with the series/ novel discussion is made that we move on to voting.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

Nominate THE SUN ALSO RISES by Ernest Hemingway.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I vehemently add a - 1 to the sun also rises. There are a lot of Hemingway to suggest besides that one. For whom the bell tolls comes to mind.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Seconding Leatherstocking and The Last Of The Mohicans.
    (Funny that just the other day I also thought about nominating one of Cooper's novels, but real life stuff intervened )

I'm currently debating with myself the definition of "Top 100". Are we choosing the most popular, most interesting, most thought-provoking, most touching, or what?
    Reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking of nominating Justine by marquis de Sade - not because it is fun or a pleasure to read, or leaves good memories, etc. but solely in the name of justice to the genre. However, I'm not sure it would be right to nominate something that I actually don't like.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Don't nominate something you don't like, just more evidence that the nomination phase is complete.
    Sloth Love Chunk

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

We're trying to nominate 200 so that we can eliminate half. I think about half of the novels we have so far are not too good, really, so the plan makes sense.

Last of the Mohicans is a great novel. The rest of the series makes it even better.

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Metro 2033 by Dmitry Glukhovsky

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 30 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast