Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Top 100 Novels of All Time - General Discussion

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

:coffee: Top 100 Novels of All Time - General Discussion

The nominations are closed, and the thread has been renamed accordingly.

The thread itself will be kept for the posterity.

Well, we all seem to be unhappy with Entertainment Weekly's list: there is such a lot of novels we don't see there!

OK, now, Mike (pathoftheturtle) has come up with this great idea: we must make our own list. Let's see what we'll have as a result; it may be both entertaining and useful for everyone, in terms of future reading.

Now it's time for nominating and seconding.

The rules are:

1. Altogether, everyone can nominate as many novels as they can, provided:

1.1. One nomination per post.
    1.2. You must wait for at least two nominations by someone else before you can nominate again.

2. Multivolume novels, such as The Dark Tower or Harry Potter, count as one novel.

3. Collections of stories are not eligible.

4. Novellas are not eligible. It isn't always easy to tell a novella from a novel, so we'll have to rely on wiki here. If it is defined as novel there, it is acceptable.

5. You can nominate as many novels of one author as you want, but in the end, only top three novels by any author will be accepted for the final list.

NOW, let's nominate - and don't forget to second!!

You can second as many as you like, in one post or separate posts, doesn't matter. It is crucial for the success of the whole enterprise that we second (third, etc) all novels we consider worthy.

Seconding in this round is tantamount to voting. When we actually vote, the grouping will depend on the number of votes received NOW.

Updated List

The awesome future of our final list.
    Last edited by Jean; 10-14-2013 at 10:27 AM.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Nominated: To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    Nominated: To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee.
    Seconded. Lolita nominated.

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Seconded.
    Nominating: The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And are we then voting to somehow rank these? Because I was thinking this coming January or so we should launch our Constant Reader Awards.

Country
    Country Flag

guys, please make it clear what exactly you're seconding!

Marina: so, you're seconding Lolita, not Mockingbird?

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    And are we then voting to somehow rank these?
    Yes, but first we'll look at the number of secondings. That's why I need them very clear.

because I was thinking this January or so we should launch our Constant Reader Awards.
    Right. I think we'll just have the time - I am planning to have the 100 list by Xmas

Demon of the Prim RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain is a glorious beacon of light RainInSpain's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Sorry for the confusion.
    As a matter of fact, I will second them both - To Kill A Mockingbird and Lolita.
    If you are going through hell - keep going

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

The Castle Franz Kafka

Fourth Lolita and To Kill A Mockingbird.

I'm afraid I've never read The Master and Margarita.

I don't think 100 is going to be enough.
    But I guess that this is what makes it exciting.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

1984 - George Orwell.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fernandito View Post
    1984 - George Orwell.
    Second 1984.

Can you nominate and second at the same time? If so, I nominate Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury.

Country
    Country Flag

Seconding 1984 and 451. Nominating Updike's Rabbit series.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Nominating Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Seconding Of Mice and Men and thirding (or whatever) To Kill a Mockingbird.

John

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I nominate The Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger. I loved this novel; need to read it again.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Frankenstein Mary Shelley

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by dnemec View Post
    Can you nominate and second at the same time?
    Yes.

I second The Castle by Kafka

and nominate The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Twain.

Country
    Country Flag

what we have so far:

To Kill a Mockingbird + 4
    Lolita + 3
    The Master and Margarita + 0
    The Castle + 1
    1984 +2
    Fahrenheit 451 +1
    Rabbit Series + 0
    Of Mice and Men + 1
    The Catcher in the Rye + 0
    Frankenstein + 0
    The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn + 0

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I nominate The Lord of the Rings, by J.R.R. Tolkien
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

I second Farenheit 451 and Of Mice and Men and The Catcher In The Rye (super seconded lol)

I nominate Candide by Voltaire
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

I nominate The Thief of Always: Clive Barker. Not his absolute best, but his most accessible while still being pure Barker.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Can't believe thast I will be the first to do this but I nominate....

The Dark Tower, by Stephen King

Also, Dracula, by Bram Stoker, The Exorcist, by William Peter Blatty and Ghost Story, by Peter Straub
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I would 2nd some of these, but I just haven't read them. I would like to throw out nomination for Dracula by Bram Stoker. Yes it's a classic, yes it is good.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Can't believe thast I will be the first to do this but I nominate....

The Dark Tower, by Stephen King

Also, Dracula, by Bram Stoker, The Exorcist, by William Peter Blatty and Ghost Story, by Peter Straub
    Well you beat me. I will 2nd Dracula, The Exorcist, Ghost Story, and Dark Tower series. I've read and greatly enjoyed all of these.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just a random thought, but whomever is running this show should contact RF and some of the other literary members of this site and see if there is not some way that a final TDT.Org list could find its way into print.

It would make for grand publicity and maximum fun.

Spoiler:
    I'll be happy to "Ratify" this the next time I am "Director for a day"!!! LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast