Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: In Mint Condition: 2014

Gunslinger Apprentice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, there isn't any word limit right now.
    Here's another good citation I've found:
    "Short stories are traditionally defined as between 2,000 and 7.500 words. A short story should be only long enough for an average reader to finish it in one sitting rather than several as the longer novel or novella normally takes". So your 4500 and my about 2500 fit this recommended frame

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

Dont have any idea about my word count as it is written out long hand. It is definitely a short story.
    Sloth Love Chunk

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

My "short story" for IMC 2013 was around 10,500 words. I tend to not worry about the word count as I am writing and edit later if needed.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I doubt my complete story is even 1,000 words atm...it might not even be 500. Of course whether it ends up here or not, it'll grow.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

Brice, yours is short and sweet...

Citizen of Gilead CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about CurtSeattle has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Default I'm in!!

Okay, I'm in this time!

Well not in technically I guess...more I'm "in"terested in submitting something in the hopes of being "in"cluded in the next compilation.

How much does it cost to have 100 books run if I write a 200 page story out of curiosity? Just a range...I could give them out as gifts. hahaha...force my friends to read my stuff. They know I will quiz them. I love it.

I have 2 pages so far already written!

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I will definitely be submitting this year!

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Good news

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CurtSeattle View Post
    Okay, I'm in this time!

Well not in technically I guess...more I'm "in"terested in submitting something in the hopes of being "in"cluded in the next compilation.

How much does it cost to have 100 books run if I write a 200 page story out of curiosity? Just a range...I could give them out as gifts. hahaha...force my friends to read my stuff. They know I will quiz them. I love it.

I have a 250 page book that I have self-published with CreateSpace. If I wanted to buy 100 copies, they would cost me $3.68 each, plus $43 shipping.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Fulman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CurtSeattle View Post
    Okay, I'm in this time!

I have a 250 page book that I have self-published with CreateSpace. If I wanted to buy 100 copies, they would cost me $3.68 each, plus $43 shipping.
    That's cool, how did you sell them?

Servant of Gan Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold Robert Fulman is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Not very well.

Citizen of Gilead harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan is just really nice harrison ryan's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Ha ha ha! Nice!

Los̶ ver 4 Life -- @shakyandspiky on Instagram -- PMs welcome

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

In all seriousness, Createspace is owned by Amazon, so Createspace books are automatically available on Amazon.com (or even Amazon.co.uk). The service is free, but for pretty small additional charges you can assign your own publisher name (in theory to hide the fact that it's self-published) or have the books available on other sites or in actual bookstores. Both those services cost less than $50. I have published 5 books under three different names, and sold almost 500 copies in total. I highly recommend it.

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Or you could go the fancier route of doing a hardcover with a slipcase. As Shannon can tell you, this is a much more expensive route. This costs closer to $20 to $25 per copy.

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can you do illustrated books with Createspace too (asking for a children's book that definitely needs it)?

On a thread related note, can there be multiple submissions, Shannon? If so, is there a limit?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

That hc looks awesome, RF!

Quote Originally Posted by stkmw02 View Post
    Brice, yours is short and sweet...
    Thank you! I'm glad you liked it. Of course it has not grown up yet.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yes, you can submit as many stories and poems as you want, but please, only submit original/unpublished works, and only work you are satisfied with. Submitting multiple stories or poems that are just "meh" will only waste our time.

CreateSpace is cheaper, but the quality isn't up to our standards.

Hannah's story was (I'm pretty sure) the longest, but when reading it, it never felt long and was a truly enjoyable experience.

Country
    Country Flag

Okay, cool. Thank you for the quick reply. If it's submitting for a publishing company, I wouldn't think of sending in anything other than a polished work I was truly proud of. I have two or three short stories that came to mind, that's why I was asking.

Gunslinger Apprentice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Hello Shannon
    Did you receive my story? I have emailed it to you before about 6.5 hours.
    Thanks

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Email sent, thank you.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

How's everyone writing (or written) their stories? Just go off from one idea and see where the story goes, or having a plan to go A to B to C etc

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_Villa View Post
    How's everyone writing (or written) their stories? Just go off from one idea and see where the story goes, or having a plan to go A to B to C etc
    I always see where the story takes me when I'm writing. You can say I have a plan A, but after that, my imagination begins to develope the story as I get involved with it.

Ralph
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post
    I always see where the story takes me when I'm writing. You can say I have a plan A, but after that, my imagination begins to develope the story as I get involved with it.

Ralph
    Interesting because that's how my early stories went but recently i've had an idea of all of the major points in the story before i start writing.

Oh and i've just submitted my story for IMC 2014, hoping i get included again!

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I used to just write. I would get an idea in my head - sometimes just some good phrasing or a basic concept and just write. But I never finished anything that way. So I have started to force myself to think about a story and prepare a rudimentary outline for a plot before I start writing. I find that helps me finish things when I already have an ending in mind.

I just finished my rough draft for IMC 2014. I am hoping to have it polished up and ready to submit by the end of the week.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

I forget... is In Mint Condition exclusive? You don't want anything previously published, and/or the work cannot be republished later? Just checking because I have a little something of both that I might submit.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast