Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: In Mint Condition: 2014

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Default In Mint Condition: 2014

Ambannon Books, in connection with TheDarkTower.org, is proud to announce In Mint Condition: 2014. The In Mint Condition series is an open-genre collection of short fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry exclusively from the members of TheDarkTower.org, with each entry including one accompanying art piece (more to come about artists later). There will be a Trade Paperback Edition, and there will also be a Signed, Limited Hardcover Edition with different dustjacket artwork and interior design than the Trade Paperback Edition. The Hardcover Edition will also be numbered, signed by the editor, and limited to a print run of 100 copies only.

This is an official Call For Submissions. We here at Ambannon Books are looking for talented authors both new and established alike to come together and help us create something wonderful. We would like the anthology to include all types of writing styles. We would like a short fiction story about werewolf babies on page three, and then on page eighty-seven, we want to read a creative nonfiction essay about the time you and your significant other got lost in the woods and somehow came across a psychotic man that thought he was Bigfoot. I personally would like to read a poem describing the lives of suicidal aliens. Maybe that’s just me though. Essentially, there are no guidelines. You may write on any topic, although topics considered highly highly highly offensive may not be allowed publication. The length is also up to the writer. Keep in mind, however, that a short story should not be a novel, nor should a short story be too small that there isn't much of a story.

All works submitted to In Mint Condition: 2014 must be original and previously unpublished. Additionally, authors must notify us immediately if their work is being published elsewhere before this anthology is completed. You may submit multiple works. Each submission must be saved as its own document.

Submissions: Please send your submissions and/or any questions/comments to shannon@ambannonbooks.com. All submissions must be formatted as a Microsoft Word document. We are not accepting artwork submissions at this point.

Notification: After we have read your written work, we will decide whether or not to include that work in In Mint Condition: 2014. Once our final Table of Contents is decided, we will personally notify everyone that submitted something as to our decision. For written works, those works that are accepted for inclusion may undergo a recommended editing and revision process between the author and the editors. We will not change your work ourselves, but revisions/edits may be requested. If an agreement between the author and the editorial staff cannot be made on the potential revisions it might affect inclusion.

Compensation: If your written work is included in In Mint Condition: 2014, we will send you one (1) copy of the Hardcover Edition as our personal thank you. A percentage (to be determined later) of the profit from the Hardcover Edition will be donated towards Stephen King's The Haven Foundation.

Due Date: All submissions will be due on Saturday, October 5th, 2013 Saturday, November 9th, 2013. Please do not submit a “rough draft,” only submit work that you feel is finished.

The staff of Ambannon Books and the editors here at In Mint Condition: 2014 are really looking forward to reading your work! Thank you!

Reasons Why Stories/Poems Got Rejected For In Mint Condition: 2013:
    • Too short.
    • Nothing interesting happened and/or we didn't care enough about the characters.
    • The story was based on something/anything to do with Stephen King/other authors.
    • Your poem wasn't understood/felt by any of the editors.
    • Extreme typos. We can handle typos and errors, but when it feels like you don't care, then we stop caring.

And for anyone who is not aware of the amazing Table of Contents for our first publication, In Mint Condition: 2013:

Table of Contents:

1. “Mr. Scratch’s Murder Circus” by Jeremy Gooch. Artwork by Erin Wells.
    2. “The Receptionist” by Bob Ireland. Artwork by Allen Koszowski.
    3. “The Train Graveyard” by Ariel Bosi. Artwork by Heather Armata
    4. “Seagrass Encounter” by David Swearingen. Artwork by Rachel Readman.
    5. “Brother” by Ryan Wood. Artwork by Dustin Amato.
    6. “A Place on Pine Island” by Matthew Biddle. Artwork by Terry Newsom.
    7. “Pumpkin” by Krystle-Dawn M. Willing. Artwork by Erik Wilson.
    8. “Excelsior!” by Jean Melkovsky. Artwork by Edward Ziniti.
    9. “My First Book” by Jeannine Bulsara. Artwork by Krystle-Dawn M. Willing.
    10. “The Rule of Three” by Thomas Cranham. Artwork by Jill Bauman.
    11. “You’re the Best” by Tim Martin. Artwork by Serhiy Krykun.
    12. “Darkness Rising” by Gabriel Ayala. Artwork by Vincent Chong.
    13. “Tabula Rasa” by Hannah O’Connor. Artwork by David Boehmke.
    14. “Right to Life” by Mike Ziniti. Artwork by Les Edwards.
    15. “On Monday, I ate my cat.” by Jerome Smith. Artwork by Alex McVey.
    16. “Marvin’s Retirement” by Ralph Mulleins. Artwork by Glenn Chadbourne.
    Last edited by Shannon; 09-24-2013 at 12:35 AM.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

To all "visitors" of TheDarkTower.org, just wanted to extend a warm welcome and an invitation to join us. We are primarily Stephen King fans and collectors, but trust me when I tell you, there is something for everyone here.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    To all "visitors" of TheDarkTower.org, just wanted to extend a warm welcome and an invitation to join us. We are primarily Stephen King fans and collectors, but trust me when I tell you, there is something for everyone here.
    He is extremely correct and if you are a "budding" writer you will want to send a submission!!!! This is cutting edge internet publishing. Do not miss out!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

"This is cutting edge internet publishing."

I'd say that this is cutting edge ACTUAL publishing, lol, but maybe you're off your meds again.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    "This is cutting edge internet publishing."

I'd say that this is cutting edge ACTUAL publishing, lol, but maybe you're off your meds again.

You know what? It is the "Internet" that you are using to solicit submissions and I was just trying to help out in a small way...

Yeah, I'll check my "meds" and get back to ya...

Geez!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

I know which story I'll be submitting, just want to go through it once more

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

I call werewolf babies!

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Best of luck to Ambannon and to everyone submitting for this volume.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stkmw02 View Post
    I call werewolf babies!
    Now there's no backing out. You are expected to produce a werewolf baby story. LOL
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know, she might get typecast as "The Baby Author".

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Great news!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

I'm thinking I can just take King's plots and rewrite them with babies... I can make millions!!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tito_Villa View Post
    You know, I kindof envy you folks that have extra stories just lying around.

If I want to try to get a second story published, I've got to write a second story.

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Me too. I have three short stories that are not done and one longer story that seems to have went off the tracks.

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post

If I want to try to get a second story published, I've got to write a second story.

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I better get writing!
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Weedeater Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa is a glorious beacon of light Tito_Villa's Avatar

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Me too. I have three short stories that are not done and one longer story that seems to have went off the tracks.

Well I've recently gotten a new computer and in the last three weeks I've written two short stories, one of 4,200 words and one of 5,500 words. I try to write for at least 30 mins every night!

Rearrange Me Til I'm Sane Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post

Well I've recently gotten a new computer and in the last three weeks I've written two short stories, one of 4,200 words and one of 5,500 words. I try to write for at least 30 mins every night!
    That's awesomely prolific of you Tom, and I'm envious that you have the creative spark within you (I seem to be okay writing business related documents, however; I have the fictional creativity of your average coconut) I'll look forward to seeing more of your work down the track mate.
    We all float down here!

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Writing just seems good for me, you know, lets me zone out of the real world for a while after editing those 2 stories I start on another tomorrow night

Weedeater BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE is a jewel in the rough BROWNINGS CHILDE's Avatar

My Mood
    Cynical
    Country
    Country Flag

I've got maybe 10 pages of my first short story written in hopes of submitting it for this project. Failing that, I have another poem.
    Sloth Love Chunk

Gunslinger Apprentice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi Brownings Childe
    How many words contains your 10-page story?
    Thanks.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

My edited story is 18 pages, around 10,400 words

Gunslinger Apprentice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan is just really nice mosheprigan's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi Tito_Villa.
    Isn't way too much for a short story? I mean it sounds more like a novella, if you get to my point.

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

Maybe, but that's what i'm going to submit, if I needed to shorten it, i'd look at it again

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Tito_ Villa and all other members.
    Here is what I've found in GOODREADS, that may help:
    For the Nebula Awards Categories:
    Under 7,500 for the Short Story category
    Between 7,500 and 17,500 for the Novelette category
    Between 17,500 and 40,000 for the Novella category
    Over 40,000 for the Novel category. Since the Science Fiction market for short stories has been consistently strong for a long time I figure these numbers are as good as any to follow.
    There isn't any consensus for the word count 'sweet spot'. So... aim for the middle, 3-4,000 and start sweating around 7,000 because nobody really likes a Novelette, do they?

My Mood
    Sleepy
    Country
    Country Flag

At this moment there isn't a word limit, but if that story is too long then I have another ready that's around 4,500 words

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast