Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: HE WAS LEGEND RICHARD BURTON MATHESON 2/20/1926-6/23/2013

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What is most likely the final S/L from Richard Matheson. You will notice the limitation page is different from the name of the book. I received the following email from Barry Hoffman at Gauntlet Press.

Richard passed away before he could "initial" the tipsheets for the book. So, we used a tipsheet from another book and as a bonus you get his full signature rather than just his initials. The number is correct. These were extra tipsheets from the other book. We numbered them 1-100 (that's the reason for the low print run for this edition). The value, if anything, is enhanced because you got a Matheson signature not just his initials like with OTHER KINGDOMS. Matheson had a severe write condition the past few years so he would only initial the numbered editions.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Hmm. I'd almost prefer the book not have a signature page than have one with the wrong title on it. What's your take on it, Dan -- pleased or disappointed?

It's a bit moot for me, as I probably won't get this one. I have nearly all his works, but skipped the last few "trunk novels" after getting burned in recent times by HUNGER AND THIRST and OTHER KINGDOMS, though GENERATIONS does have me intrigued, so I may pick up that one.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't mind, it's an interesting story. I loved Other Kingdoms, one of my favorites of his.

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post pics of a great deal I received! A lettered (GG) copy of Hunger and Thirst by Matheson for $125. Beautiful workmanship! Hard to believe, but this is the first Matheson I own (and haven't read anything of his yet!)

"God punishes us for what we cannot imagine." - Stephen King, Duma Key

Country
    Country Flag

Great purchase! I wouldn't start reading his work with this one. Try his older stuff first. But great looking book!

Demon of the Prim goheat will become famous soon enough goheat will become famous soon enough goheat's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Great purchase! I wouldn't start reading his work with this one. Try his older stuff first. But great looking book!
    Thanks! I believe this is one of his first novels, unreleased until this version. What would you recommend as a first Matheson read?

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Thanks, I'll start with that one then!

Country
    Country Flag

I second that! Hell House, A Stir of Echoes, Somewhere in Time, etc. His short story collections are very good also. I Am Legend is his masterpiece, and very different from the movies.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to post pics of a great deal I received! A lettered (GG) copy of Hunger and Thirst by Matheson for $125. Beautiful workmanship! Hard to believe, but this is the first Matheson I own (and haven't read anything of his yet!)

Wow! Nice purchase, goheat! Matheson is wonderful. Enjoy!!

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Enjoy the acquisition, but if you do read it, please don't judge Matheson on HUNGER AND THIRST...it's a trunk novel that should have stayed a trunk novel. Try his classic novels and his short stories for the true brilliance of his talent.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by RC65 View Post
    Enjoy the acquisition, but if you do read it, please don't judge Matheson on HUNGER AND THIRST...it's a trunk novel that should have stayed a trunk novel. Try his classic novels and his short stories for the true brilliance of his talent.
    I appreciate that! I plan on reading I am Legend as the first of his!

An excellent place to start!

Gunslinger Apprentice terrier91 has a spectacular aura about terrier91 has a spectacular aura about terrier91's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'm a huge Matheson fan. While I also started with I am Legend, my favorites are Someone is Bleeding, A Stir of Echoes and Ride the Nightmare.

Country
    Country Flag

Well, thanks again everyone for your suggestions! I was able to get a signed/limited of Gauntlet Press's I Am Legend 40th Anniversary Edition for a steal of a price, and will start reading the ebook version on my Kindle Paperwhite next!

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by goheat View Post
    Well, thanks again everyone for your suggestions! I was able to get a signed/limited of Gauntlet Press's I Am Legend 40th Anniversary Edition for a steal of a price, and will start reading the ebook version on my Kindle Paperwhite next!

Congrats! That is a nice one. I looked for a reasonably priced copy for over a year before finding one. I have then seen numerous copies at every price range since. LOL, that's the way it goes.

I have that S/L of I AM LEGEND as well. I'm surprised to hear that value has gone down (or is shaky)...I would've thought the value of that would have stayed high and stable, given its seminal stature and is, I believe, the only signed/limited of that particular work. I know the whole collectible small-press market has been kinda soft lately, but I would've thought that one would have been less prone to that softness than many others. Oh well, doesn't matter in my case...that volume would certainly be among the very last sold of my collection.

Country
    Country Flag

Another fantastic bargain (I believe): a lettered copy of Matheson's Darker Places in mint condition for $99.95! The quality and workmanship on this is awesome, and it includes a hand-signed copy of a manuscript page from one of the stories The Hill in the traycase as well. The picture of the manuscript page makes it look darker then it is.

Demon of the Prim killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72 is a jewel in the rough killjoy72's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Cool!

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Hi
    Some of you may have seen that I am selling most of my King collection.
    I also have some Richard Matheson, and RC Matheson stuff for sale.
    I can provide photos/more info via PM. I am based in the UK.
    Thanks for looking.

Richard Matheson
    Passion Play S/L 24/1000 CD Fine £25
    Camp Pleasant S/L 836/1000 CD Fine £25
    Hunger and Thirst S/L Gauntlet 444/500 Fine £50
    Collected Stories Dream Press ARC Fine £90

RC Matheson
    Dystopia Gauntlet S/L VG £100

Country
    Country Flag

Here are two different versions of Ellery Queen's Mystery Magazine from April 1959. They are identical other than the cover. Contains the short story "What Was In The Box?" The title was later changed to "Big Surprise" for Shock II. Both are in unread condition.

Country
    Country Flag

Flat signed first edition and signed limited.

Very nice, Dan. I have a signed trade HC of that one. Not sure why, but the yellow of the spine on it has faded some...and I'm very careful about keeping my books out of direct (or even indirect'ish) light, so not sure what to chalk that up to. Maybe it's just the photo, but it looks like perhaps your limited has suffered the same. Mine used to have that deep rich yellow color that your trade shows; now it's more washed out, less golden in hue.

Country
    Country Flag

I thought the same thing, but the color is the same on the entire dust jacket, including the inside flap. Bruce might have better insight, but both of my copies look like the dust jackets are brand new but just slightly different colors.

Does yours look like fading or are they the same on the inside flap?

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

LOOKS LIKE THE NATURE OF THE BEAST.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast