Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: "Afterlife" in Tin House (Summer 2013)

Gunslinger Apprentice wahlers will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wahlers View Post
    Really enjoyed this story. More and more I'm enjoying his short stories better than his novels. He just can't seem to write (IMHO) a good ending to a novel anymore.
    Haven't you read Joyland? It's got a great and appropriate ending.

John
    I am actually still in the process of reading Joyland. Good to hear a vote of confidence for the ending. Given its length, compared to his other books though, isn't it more of a novella?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Nah, I'd call it a short novel.

John

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    Nah, I'd call it a short novel.
    John
    AKA Novelette?
    reality continues to ruin my life

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

No, you have to remember that Carrie was even shorter.

John

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

True. Last night Gaiman mentioned the word count determines whether or not it is a short story, novella, novelette or novel. Id look it up on Wiki but realized I dont know the Joyland word count and too lazy to research it.
    reality continues to ruin my life

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

It's not that strict. A novel can be very short. There are some well known novels that are even shorter than Joyland.

Gunslinger Apprentice wahlers will become famous soon enough

I honestly think what a story is determined is up to the publisher and/or writer. I've seen old novels from the 50's that are shorter than "The Mist" which is considered a novella. I was mostly just joking about Joyland being a novella because of how long a lot of King's novels can be.

However, this whole thing is like how in the days of vinyl, tons of albums were 40 minutes or under to fit on one disc, but now if you put out an album under 40 minutes (i.e. NIN's 'broken' or Lady Gaga's 'The Fame Monster') they're called EPs by the labels in the US. However, in the UK because of different rules to qualify for a singles/EP chart, if the record has more than 4 unique tracks (not remixes of the same track, etc.) and runs for more than 25 minutes it's classified as an album (or LP) and not an EP.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

For me, it's all about readability. By which I mean, if it can comfortably be read in a single sitting, it's a short story; if it can be read in a single sitting with maybe one meal and/or bathroom break wedged in there, then that's a novella. Anything else, that's a novel.

That's just me, though.

Citizen of Gilead barlow will become famous soon enough barlow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I know Borders carried Tin House, but they don't exist anymore. Does Barnes & Noble or any other chains have Tin House?

Ken

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I got my copy at Barnes & Noble. It was one of two on the rack.

John

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Got mine from BN.com -- good story, although I think I enjoyed it more when King read it.

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I agree, it was more poignant for me while listening to King read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Burnette View Post
    Got mine from BN.com -- good story, although I think I enjoyed it more when King read it.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by barlow View Post
    I know Borders carried Tin House, but they don't exist anymore. Does Barnes & Noble or any other chains have Tin House?

Ken
    I got mine from my local B&N

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks everyone I will check mat B&N. When did King do the reading?

Ken

Country
    Country Flag

Never mind I see it at the beginning of the thread.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    Id look it up on Wiki but realized I dont know the Joyland word count and too lazy to research it.
    Lazy is good. Someone else always comes up with the goods.

Joyland 81,270 words.

Gunslinger Apprentice Curly has a spectacular aura about Curly has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Bev.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2