Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Are Eddie and Jake the same people?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they are absolutely the same people.

23 33.82%
  • No, they aren't. Their bodies (genes) and names are the same but no more.

32 47.06%
  • It doesn't make any difference.. so what?

3 4.41%
  • I can't vote because...

10 14.71%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: Are they the same at all???

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

This reminds me of a movie called The One starring Jet Li. The main character is married and the protagonist kills his wife and he follows him into the next parallel universe to catch him. In the next universe he meets his "wife" and falls for her there. She is not the same person but he still loves her because she is who she is. This is also true for Susannah. It may be that they didn't have the same life as the previous Eddie or Jake but they are to her essentially the same people. And I found this: Stephen King hints that Oy will be found in the same universe that Susannah travels to and will be in some form of a dog with "odd, gold-ringed eyes and a bark that eerily resembles human speech."

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stkmw02 View Post
    interesting... it was an error, should have said "want".... but I like the way it could be interpreted.
    I mean, if you believe in fate, all errors would be relative anyway, right?

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

Yes, errors happen for a reason. Unintended interpretations are no less valid than those I hoped to convey.

Goldmember mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima is a jewel in the rough mystima's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mystima View Post
    This reminds me of a movie called The One starring Jet Li. The main character is married and the protagonist kills his wife and he follows him into the next parallel universe to catch him. In the next universe he meets his "wife" and falls for her there. She is not the same person but he still loves her because she is who she is. This is also true for Susannah. It may be that they didn't have the same life as the previous Eddie or Jake but they are to her essentially the same people. And I found this: Stephen King hints that Oy will be found in the same universe that Susannah travels to and will be in some form of a dog with "odd, gold-ringed eyes and a bark that eerily resembles human speech."
    that which is underlined is supposed to be antagonist not protagonist.....my bad

Does whatever a spiderman does.

Traveler baggyg is on a distinguished road

I have just completed the series and overall was quite happy with the ending. I see a lot of people didn't like that Susannah went off to another version of the world, and ultimately whether Jake / Eddie is same (whatever "the Same" can mean in that situation). I think in many ways I had to remind myself that Stephen King isn't a SciFi writer. I was not expecting his final conclusion to make sense within our own understanding of reality. A multiverse theory is certainly a real struggle to explain from a religious standpoint. If one were to believe in a soul (which I don't) how would that soul be divided among different versions of the same people? IMO SK has given us reasonable evidence here to accept the fate in terms of the context of the books. Let us not forget that by the same argument of whether final Jake is the same as mid-world Jake is also the same as asking if the 1st version of Jake is the same as well. I think by spending time with him since DT3 most of us would probably accept that he is, at least in a literary fashion.

From my point of view it comes down to consciousness, as many of these type questions do. If you were to wake in the form of another person tomorrow, you would surely be utterly changed because of the structure of the brain. However if from the perspective of your consciousness one followed the other, the part that is our conscious would survive. However this sort of debate again relies on each persons view of consciousness which is still a hugely unknown phenomena to us. For me at least SK did a good job of reconciling this by merging the memories of the other versions (as he had done with Jake originally), and by memories inferring that whatever we find to be important about what makes one an individual is also transferred.

The interesting sentence for me was "Beneath the flowing and sometimes glimpsed glammer of the beam that connects Shardik the Bear and Maturin the Turtule by way of the Dark Tower, they did live". SK used the word glammer before most noticeable with Dandelo and also the chap who was the the Crimson King's head of state. We know it to mean an illusion. I think by this line SK is saying that the Dark Tower creates our Worlds and realities. They are illusions nevertheless. The dream of the beam would suggest that there is some sort of intelligence or consciousness there and if it plans to reward those who have saved it by reuniting them for a life together with happiness, I am happy to accept this without delving further into metaphysical questions of alternate realities.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8