Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Could Netflix Produce ‘The Dark Tower’?

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Could Netflix Produce ‘The Dark Tower’?

okay, so there's other stuff in this article including the brilliant and surreal Twin Peaks, but there is the mention of a DT tv series... what do you all think of the possibility?

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/32...he-dark-tower/

Did you guess it was me? becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69 people like to rub elbows with me becca69's Avatar

The First Level of Hell - It's got a great view!
    Country
    Country Flag

Well I'm liking Hemlock Grove quite a bit.
    Wanted: Human skin edition of The Book of the Dead. Will accept PC copy.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

House of Cards was a big winner for them. It could be interesting -- but it could be just a conversation that doesn't go anywhere, tool

Rabid Billybumbler fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak will become famous soon enough fearless-freak's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

that is a possibility, but when Ron Howard was announced as the director he put forward the idea of a tv series to tie the films together

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I talked to Akiva Goldsman about the possibility of doing it all on HBO and he said that was possible but he'd much rather have the budget and scope available to a motion picture production.

Country
    Country Flag

a movie would be better than a tv series

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by fearless-freak View Post
    a movie would be better than a tv series
    Maybe if they did a full-fledged 7+ movie series (which would be a pretty big risk given the popularity of the series) but their proposed plan -- three movies and two tv seasons -- was asking for a disaster. Maybe you could fit The Gunslinger and Drawing of the Three into one long movie but there's no way the latter books could be combined.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

They didn't plan to start with The Gunslinger. They had a pretty radical and (to me) interesting approach to the series. The Gunslinger is not all that energetic except for a couple of scenes. Certainly not the way you'd want to launch a movie franchise.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Can you tell us what the plan was (or are you not allowed to)?

To be honest I'm not sure if I'd like something that deviated significantly from the books.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Citizen of Gilead Roland of Gilead 33 will become famous soon enough Roland of Gilead 33's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

the way i was guessing the 1st book was going to be made was this, you are right the 1st book not much is happens in a sense. i mean hell about 80% of the book is him being by himself walking and we do get flashbacks but it isn't a film to start a franchise is my point. so i was guessing they'd prolly end up also putting at least part of 'the drawing of the three' like doing one or two of the doors and it being a To be Continued.... of some sorts.

now if they were going to make that a 2 parter i dunno, but it would leave us on a cliff-hanger until the next film came out whenever the hell it would come out pretty much. i'd love to see all of them on the big screen to be honest, but if they made the 1st book an HBO series 1st i could live with that. but either way i'm curious what's going on behind the scenes on getting this damn thing made. if Lord of the rings can get a 3 picture deal as great as those movies are, why can't we get the dark tower series made? yes Robert Shaye did take a gamble. but it was one that worked.

this is just one of many ways i've thought about how the films could be tied together. as i'm sure i'm not the only one who thought like this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Can you tell us what the plan was (or are you not allowed to)?

To be honest I'm not sure if I'd like something that deviated significantly from the books.
    Both Ron Howard and Akiva Goldsman discuss their plans in detail in the interviews I did with them in The Dark Tower Companion. It's hard to summarize, but I was intrigued by it. They want to use the big screen for the epic stuff and the small screen for the more intimate, personal, character-driven aspects of the story.

Country
    Country Flag

sort of like wizard and glass?

Possibly. Akiva mentioned the material that involved Eddie and his brother as being perfect for a gritty TV show treatment, for example.

Country
    Country Flag

That does sound interesting although I'm not sure if it would work unless they could find a way to make the films and the television show able to stand independently from one another, because otherwise it's a pretty big investment for the average viewer.

My Collection

Along the Path of the Beam twice is on a distinguished road twice's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If it was done by Netflix the entire series would be available all at once. No waiting 6 days for the next episode...which would be awesome.

Traveler Zurov has a spectacular aura about Zurov has a spectacular aura about Zurov's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the comics telling stories of Roland's time in Gilead would be a good TV series, but the rest would either have to be 7 full fledged movies, or maybe a mini series. I would just hate to see content omitted, which would undoubtedly happen

+ Reply to Thread