Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The Dark Tower: So Fell Lord Perth

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Sort of a funny story, I used to collect the King comics (when it was "new" material). Then when they expanded to printing the comic form of actual books (The Stand, Talisman, etc) I stopped, but I got into a discussion with a couple of store employees (specifically regarding "The Talisman") and since my local Comic book store was located next to "Bookman's", a "Play it again sports" for books, I went and bought copies of the novels for the two employees. The look on their faces was priceless. Especially the kid who was enamored by "The Talisman". LOL LOL I'm always "preaching" reading as my kids will attest to anytime. LOL

I realize that in modern times I am considered an "Old Fogey" and I suppose I am, but there is still nothing, in my mind that, compares to the smell, anticipation and ultimate satisfaction of opening a new book and reading it to it's completion. The very best "Film Director" in the world is in your individual mind.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Agreed. I'd have preferred an adaptation of the original material, not new material written by someone else.
    In theory, I'm okay with new material by other people. All I ask is that it not suck, which is what this series mostly has. I thought some of it was pretty strong toward the beginning ([I]The Long Road Home [I]and [I]Treachery[I], for example), but most of it since then has been mediocre at best.

That's my take on it, at least. I know there are people who really dig them. I wish I was one of 'em.

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Sort of a funny story, I used to collect the King comics (when it was "new" material). Then when they expanded to printing the comic form of actual books (The Stand, Talisman, etc) I stopped, but I got into a discussion with a couple of store employees (specifically regarding "The Talisman") and since my local Comic book store was located next to "Bookman's", a "Play it again sports" for books, I went and bought copies of the novels for the two employees. The look on their faces was priceless. Especially the kid who was enamored by "The Talisman". LOL LOL I'm always "preaching" reading as my kids will attest to anytime. LOL

I realize that in modern times I am considered an "Old Fogey" and I suppose I am, but there is still nothing, in my mind that, compares to the smell, anticipation and ultimate satisfaction of opening a new book and reading it to it's completion. The very best "Film Director" in the world is in your individual mind.
    Reading is great, and important, and hopefully always will be, but I'm always made a little uncomfortable by the assertion that prose is inherently a more valuable art form than film (or comics, for that matter). I'd take a good movie over a bad book any and every day of the week.

Luckily, there's no need for me to make a choice. I read as much as possible, and I watch as many movies (and television shows) as possible. I just try to make sure I'm limiting myself to the good stuff in each medium!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Burnette View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post

Reading is great, and important, and hopefully always will be, but I'm always made a little uncomfortable by the assertion that prose is inherently a more valuable art form than film (or comics, for that matter). I'd take a good movie over a bad book any and every day of the week.

Luckily, there's no need for me to make a choice. I read as much as possible, and I watch as many movies (and television shows) as possible. I just try to make sure I'm limiting myself to the good stuff in each medium!
    No argument with that sentiment here. Remember, I come from a generation in which TV and film was not what it is today. That being said, I thoroughly enjoy the benefits that modern technology has afforded to the film industry and really enjoy it. Still, there is a certain element that is lost on today's youth through the fact that they, generally, no longer "read" in the traditional sense. I am not speaking of you in particular, but youth in general. And I am a bit of an "Old school"
    kinda guy.

It does do my heart good that you are so diverse and I am sure that you are passing that trait along to your children either now or in the future.

Edit: somehow (IMHO) actually reading the written word as opposed to "viewing" the result is a little more educational. At the very least it expands the vocabulary. Other than that I have no opinion either way on the medium. Of course, I suppose that it should be said that in the film adaption of any book you are getting the author's story at least 2nd hand.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Country
    Country Flag

And sometimes, even if the original writer himself is involved, that's no guarantee of quality.

To bring this back to comics, one of the things that's (potentially) so great about that particular medium is that comics can be a sort of midway between prose and cinema. Done well, the end result is an art form that's every bit as complex and rich as prose and cinema can be.

Of course, in any medium, the majority of work ends up being something less than complex and rich. And sadly, I think that's where most of the Dark Tower comics fell: way short of their potential. Certainly they are nowhere near as good at being comics as the Dark Tower novels are at being novels. That's a shame, but it's not a particularly surprising one, I guess. Odds are the same thing happens with the movies, whenever they finally get made.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Burnette View Post
    And sometimes, even if the original writer himself is involved, that's no guarantee of quality.

To bring this back to comics, one of the things that's (potentially) so great about that particular medium is that comics can be a sort of midway between prose and cinema. Done well, the end result is an art form that's every bit as complex and rich as prose and cinema can be.

Of course, in any medium, the majority of work ends up being something less than complex and rich. And sadly, I think that's where most of the Dark Tower comics fell: way short of their potential. Certainly they are nowhere near as good at being comics as the Dark Tower novels are at being novels. That's a shame, but it's not a particularly surprising one, I guess. Odds are the same thing happens with the movies, whenever they finally get made.
    I totally agree. In the end, I think it is mostly due to the "Re-telling" aspect, with the occasional exception. However, you are very right. We should get back on topic. Thanks for the enlightening discussion!!!

Pardon my (our) interruption!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Gunslinger Apprentice wahlers will become famous soon enough

Okay, so now that this last issue is out, I wanted to confirm the chronological placement of these last 5 books.

Sheemie's Tale is all over the place, but the framing sequence is during DT7, right?

Evil Ground: The dream/flashback takes place between the Fall of Gilead and The Battle of Jericho Hill. But does the framing sequence take place between The Journey Begins and Little Sisters or somewhere else?

Lord Perth: Framing sequence takes place after Roland takes Aileen's body from The Battle of Jericho Hill in the flashback in issue #2 of The Journey Begins (page 2) but before they're attacked later that same issue (page 3).

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by wahlers View Post
    Okay, so now that this last issue is out, I wanted to confirm the chronological placement of these last 5 books.

Sheemie's Tale is all over the place, but the framing sequence is during DT7, right?

Evil Ground: The dream/flashback takes place between the Fall of Gilead and The Battle of Jericho Hill. But does the framing sequence take place between The Journey Begins and Little Sisters or somewhere else?

Lord Perth: Framing sequence takes place after Roland takes Aileen's body from The Battle of Jericho Hill in the flashback in issue #2 of The Journey Begins (page 2) but before they're attacked later that same issue (page 3).
    Can't remember about the framing sequence in Evil Ground for sure, but I think it takes place exactly where you mentioned. Everything else sounds right, too.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Is it out yet?
    Marvel's website announced it for the 7th of august, but saying that it wasnt available yet...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

It came out last Wednesday.

It was decent. The ending (as in the few last lines) was really, really abrupt for a comic that's been coming out for almost a decade.

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

It's funny how this is ending.

How is it possible that a comic that had a very decent run ended with such a low exposure on it's final number. No even a small press release at sk.com explaining why is it ending when there are many other DT stories to adapt (I'm not talking about NEW stories, just the ones we already know). Sales must have been really low at the end...
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Evil Ground and Sheemie's Tale each sold about 12,000 copies during their month of issue. That's down from 13-14,000 copies for The Man in Black issues

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, Bev. Do you have the sales numbers for the other series?
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Google does, I'm sure -- that's how I found these!

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    It's funny how this is ending.

How is it possible that a comic that had a very decent run ended with such a low exposure on it's final number. No even a small press release at sk.com explaining why is it ending when there are many other DT stories to adapt (I'm not talking about NEW stories, just the ones we already know). Sales must have been really low at the end...
    I know that the sales were steadily plummeting with each issue after the initial "Gunslinger Born" storyline (I was keeping track for a while) to the point where later miniseries sold less than the "guidebooks" that they used to release, but at the same time, Marvel must have been happy given that they continued on after Jericho Hill.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Seems obvious to me that once they went into the realm of "previously published" material they lost a substantial portion of their base. At least in my case that was true.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

But they started that way, Bill. The Gunslinger Born was previously published stuff.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ari_Racing View Post
    But they started that way, Bill. The Gunslinger Born was previously published stuff.
    Please refresh my memory. I was under the impression that all the comics, with some exceptions, up to "The Battle of Jericho Hill" were comprised of "new" material written by Robin Furth & Co. I know the story of "Hax" and "Mejis" were in W&G and a few other plot lines, but they were not like when they started "Illustrating" TDT I, IMHO Then again, I may not be thinking right since it's been quite sometime since I read the comics.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The first arc was basically an adaptation of 'Wizard and Glass' with a few new scenes like Walter talking to the Crimson King and John Farson. They didn't really start the new stuff until the second arc.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    The first arc was basically an adaptation of 'Wizard and Glass' with a few new scenes like Walter talking to the Crimson King and John Farson. They didn't really start the new stuff until the second arc.
    Yeah, after giving it more thought you guys are 100% correct. Maybe I was thinking more of the "Bonus" features in each comic.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2