Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying things specifically to sell for a profit.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrowley View Post
    By the way Frankie what are your thoughts on booksellers who's very purpose is to buy books at a discount and sell for a profit? Are they sleazy as well?
    Your rationalizations are getting increasingly ridiculous, and they were pretty bad to begin with. Just give it up and realize that not everyone thinks the way you do.
    Yes listen to Frankie and give up.

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    We get it. You don't like flippers. That's fine. Just give it up and realize that not everyone thinks the way you do.
    Well I for one, totally agree with Frankie...

Citizen of Gilead killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne will become famous soon enough killbourne's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have no problem with debating with you Frankie but what sets you and T-Dogz apart from others is that you act like such assholes when you disagree with someone. Why does everything have to be personal just because we disagree?
    Isn't that the trend in society anyways. Everyone is so sensitive, that they cant go a day without getting offended. Everyone is better than the next person. Your time is more precious than my time. You deserve that lane before me because you drive a better car.....blah, blah, blah.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

T-Dogz, do you have anything to contribute to the discussion other than standing on the sidelines and doing the equivalent of shouting "fight, fight" ?
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Closet Flipper Frankie has a spectacular aura about Frankie has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    By the way Frankie what are your thoughts on booksellers who's very purpose is to buy books at a discount and sell for a profit? Are they sleazy as well?
    Your rationalizations are getting increasingly ridiculous, and they were pretty bad to begin with. Just give it up and realize that not everyone thinks the way you do.
    We get it. You don't like flippers. That's fine. Just give it up and realize that not everyone thinks the way you do.
    If you'll look through the thread, you'll notice that I initially merely stated my opinion, crowley was the one that started whining because peoples opinions differed from his. I'm more than content to let it lie, but I'm also not going to let Crowley get away with spouting nonsense as the final world on the subject. He wants to keep making lame rationalizations, I'll keep pointing out that they're lame.

I wasn't trying to rationalize anything, I legitimately wanted to know your thoughts and you responded in a very aggressive and condescending manner. Thanks!
    Aggressive like telling someone they're whining, telling someone to be careful about what they say, and that they're paving the road to hell?

Your question is ridiculous. Either you're not thinking at all and just want to argue, or you're not thinking at all because you just want to rationalize your position out of self interest.

If I buy a book from Betts he's doing a service for the seller that doesn't want to deal with selling a hundred books individually, and also doing me a service by putting me in contact with a seller that I might never have come in contact with. He's adding value.

If I buy a book from a B&M store, I get to examine the book in person and make sure it's exactly what I want, plus don't have to worry about shipping problems or packing problems. Added value.

If I buy a book from Abes it's hoped that I'm dealing with a professional that's at least moderately competent in grading and packing and isn't going to rip me off, rather than some random eBay schlub, many of whom are incompetent if not downright dishonest. Added value.

Buying a Carrie Lettered and putting on eBay the next day for 2 grand over list is adding no value whatsoever.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Did you miss the part where you called people sleazy ? It was before that post. I should not have taken the bait but clearly you have a short memory
    He didn't call people sleazy, he called the act of flipping sleazy... But of course, if you feel particularly sensitive with the term 'sleazy', then maybe it was a bit too close to home eh?

Citizen of Gilead Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg has a spectacular aura about Aronstg's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Well I didn't want to get involved in this "messy" conversation because honestly I could care less what someone does with their copy. There is always a mark up from production to end user so however it gets there is all the same to me.

I do feel I have to stick up for Mistercrowley here though for those who think he is sleazy or simply a profiteer. I recently purchased an item from him for about $170 under market price. He could have gotten more from me for the book and he declined that. So I don't think he fits the mold of evil profiteer that some may think here.

I think a lot of us look at collecting from both the aesthetic and investment aspect, I know I do. If he wants to buy the book, hold it in his hands, admire it and then pass it on immediately then so be it.

Closet Flipper Frankie has a spectacular aura about Frankie has a spectacular aura about

Be careful because you are calling quite a few king collectors sleazy. Also comes off as a bit whiny. After all if you want something at face value there is nothing stopping you from purchasing it. Your good intentions are very noble, I hear the road to hell is paved with them
    As far as I'm concerned this is the first post that made it personal and also was basically entirely argumentative. Practically trolling. Maybe we can make a poll or something, because from where I'm standing you're the one being the asshole here.

Did you miss the part where you called people sleazy ? It was before that post. I should not have taken the bait but clearly you have a short memory
    Did I call you sleazy? I didn't call anyone sleazy. I said a practice was sleazy, not a person, hence not personal. If we can't discuss how we feel about the practice without you whining about it being personal, how can there be any debate at all?

You're going to take anything that anyone says that's negative about flipping personally because you're a flipper. You can't put that on me.

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

Honestly I'm just going to give up trying to have a conversation with you. I don't need to rationalize anything. I'm going to do what I want to do regardless of what you think. When you called the act of simply purchasing to make a profit I initially took offense and called you whiny was not nice and for that I do apologize. That's the last I'll say to you.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

... And yet another conversation gets out of control when RF isn't here to moderate!! Hopefully he's back soon!

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

Quote Originally Posted by stroppygoblin View Post
    T-Dogz, do you have anything to contribute to the discussion other than standing on the sidelines and doing the equivalent of shouting "fight, fight" ?
    The answer to that appears to be no

Country
    Country Flag

Aggressive like telling someone they're whining, telling someone to be careful about what they say, and that they're paving the road to hell?

Your question is ridiculous. Either you're not thinking at all and just want to argue, or you're not thinking at all because you just want to rationalize your position out of self interest.

If I buy a book from Betts he's doing a service for the seller that doesn't want to deal with selling a hundred books individually, and also doing me a service by putting me in contact with a seller that I might never have come in contact with. He's adding value.

If I buy a book from a B&M store, I get to examine the book in person and make sure it's exactly what I want, plus don't have to worry about shipping problems or packing problems. Added value.

If I buy a book from Abes it's hoped that I'm dealing with a professional that's at least moderately competent in grading and packing and isn't going to rip me off, rather than some random eBay schlub, many of whom are incompetent if not downright dishonest. Added value.

Buying a Carrie Lettered and putting on eBay the next day for 2 grand over list is adding no value whatsoever.

Now that is a reasoned argument. Good post, sir!

Rep points awarded!

Honestly I'm just going to give up trying to have a conversation with you. I don't need to rationalize anything. I'm going to do what I want to do regardless of what you think. When you called myself and others sleazy simply for purchasing to make a profit I initially took offense and called you whiny was not nice and for that I do apologize. That's the last I'll say to you.
    Misrepresenting what I said isn't nice either. Maybe you should lay into webstar also, he thinks its a tad dirty, so by your reasoning he was making it personal and saying that YOU are dirty.

Look at your first three posts in this (recent) thread. You really think those could be part of a rational reasonable debate? "Don't buy it and it doesn't effect you" and "If it weren't for flippers like me you wouldn't ever get any books on the secondary market"? They're overly sensitive, butthurt, lame rationalizations. Unless everyone in the thread said nothing beyond "I love flippers and am glad for the service they provide" you were going to take it as a personal insult at some point.

My Mood
    Devilish

I enjoy my conversations with webstar. With you and T-Dogz....no. You fly off the handle if there is a question asked or a different opinion given. Questions are considered ridiculous simply because your on the opposite side of the spectrum. Thankfully the majority of people on here are fun to talk without going straight into asshole mode

I enjoy my conversations with webstar. With you and T-Dogz....no. You fly off the handle if there is a question asked or a different opinion given. Questions are considered ridiculous simply because your on the opposite side of the spectrum.
    You can't see any difference between what Betts does and flipping a newly released book immediately on eBay for a large profit?

REALLY?

He said it was dirty. I said it was sleazy. You laid into me.

Gunslinger Apprentice MandaBunny will become famous soon enough

Country
    Country Flag

I think Jerome would say something like "back on topic." Nothing will ever get resolved about the issue here. Too bad there can't be a duel.

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBunny View Post
    I think Jerome would say something like "back on topic." Nothing will ever get resolved about the issue here. Too bad there can't be a duel.
    Hear hear. I'll try and behave.

My Mood
    Devilish

I enjoy my conversations with webstar. With you and T-Dogz....no. You fly off the handle if there is a question asked or a different opinion given. Questions are considered ridiculous simply because your on the opposite side of the spectrum.
    You can't see any difference between what Betts does and flipping a newly released book immediately on eBay for a large profit?

REALLY?

He said it was dirty. I said it was sleazy. You laid into me.

Further debate is pointless. Let's just stop talking to each other

My Mood
    Devilish

Quote Originally Posted by Aronstg View Post
    Well I didn't want to get involved in this "messy" conversation because honestly I could care less what someone does with their copy. There is always a mark up from production to end user so however it gets there is all the same to me.

I do feel I have to stick up for Mistercrowley here though for those who think he is sleazy or simply a profiteer. I recently purchased an item from him for about $170 under market price. He could have gotten more from me for the book and he declined that. So I don't think he fits the mold of evil profiteer that some may think here.

I think a lot of us look at collecting from both the aesthetic and investment aspect, I know I do. If he wants to buy the book, hold it in his hands, admire it and then pass it on immediately then so be it.
    Thanks Aron. How's the Remarque coming?

Country
    Country Flag

Originally Posted by Aronstg

mistercrowley doesn't even like PS Publishing books, let alone be able to admire and appreciate the Lettered copy of Carrie before passing it on. He has been very clear about his inherent distaste for PS Publishing when he shamelessly bashed them a few weeks ago...

Copies of this book should only be sold to collectors who will treasure it and truly appreciate its value.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

There are people on this site who, according to their posts, will buy or attempt to buy multiple copies of a S/L edition in order to sell the extras to compensate for the cost of the one they want to keep.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing. (Or a good thing). It's a reality.

But if you disparage "flippers" do you also include folks that scoop up multiple copies to sell at a profit as an offset?

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    ... And yet another conversation gets out of control when RF isn't here to moderate!! Hopefully he's back soon!
    They're big boys. They can work out their disagreements.

Overall, I have enjoyed hearing various parties' opinions on the topic presented to the group.

Personally, on the minuscule chance that I land a copy in the publisher's sale, I plan to keep it. However I won't pretend that someone couldn't get me to sell it at a high enough price.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    There are people on this site who, according to their posts, will buy or attempt to buy multiple copies of a S/L edition in order to sell the extras to compensate for the cost of the one they want to keep.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing. (Or a good thing). It's a reality.

But if you disparage "flippers" do you also include folks that scoop up multiple copies to sell at a profit as an offset?
    If there is a limit of one book per household, but someone uses various addresses and different credit cards to buy multiple copies with the intention of scalping people later on... Then yeah, I think they are to be disparaged with great fury!!

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

If there is a limit of one book per household, but someone uses various addresses and different credit cards to buy multiple copies with the intention of scalping people later on... Then yeah, I think they are to be disparaged with great fury!!
    I don't think those that buy to sell could care about what others might think. I run a store and purchase items that I sell at a higher price on the next day. It's a job. And those who don't run a store but do that anyway, well...I don't see the difference. I work to earn money to spend it. They do the same and the only difference is that they don't have a store.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Along the Path of the Beam Tree705 will become famous soon enough Tree705's Avatar

If the publisher is willing to sell multiple copies to an individual then to me if you have a problem with that you should take it up with the publisher.
    If you truly believe that a books price is inflated then wait for it to go down, 90% of books you can buy at less then original price, but don't hold your breath if it King.
    Do you have any idea how many times I have planned my day around ordering a King book only to hear someone later whine that they didn't get a chance to buy it. If you missed out it is most likely your own fault, or just bad luck but its no one else's fault. My prized possession is my S/L Legends (also inscribed by Whelan and a full page remarque by Wilson) I called or visited ever bookseller I had a relationship with as soon as I found out about it, and it paid off. Uncle Hugo's came though for me and I even got the membership 10% discount. If anyone want to buy it they better come with a thick roll of Benjamin's.

Great thread

Rich DeMars

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the only thing I will "win" on onsale day is the sweet feeling of schadenfreude gained when some of these participants who are honking their horns the loudest fail to purchase one of the 26 copies!
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 18 ... LastLast