Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying things specifically to sell for a profit.

Gunslinger Apprentice mcdonaldj will become famous soon enough mcdonaldj's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Flipping is not sleazy. They spend just as much time logging in trying to buy the book as the next guy (which is all you are out) and then it is their's to do with as they please. Let go of some imagined scenario where a flipper is taking away your book - it is not stealing or dishonest or somehow unethical.

Best of luck to everyone on getting a copy, but any way it shakes out there are going to be some sad folks 5 seconds after this thing goes on sale.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonaldj View Post
    Flipping is not sleazy. They spend just as much time logging in trying to buy the book as the next guy (which is all you are out) and then it is their's to do with as they please. Let go of some imagined scenario where a flipper is taking away your book - it is not stealing or dishonest or somehow unethical.

Best of luck to everyone on getting a copy, but any way it shakes out there are going to be some sad folks 5 seconds after this thing goes on sale.
    I agree there will be some people that have all the money they can spend ready for this and will be disappointed and then Ebay will have that one for 3 times the price The good thing about members here is... yes they flip... BUT they flip fair. Small profit many times AND they buy King books with the profit for their collections for the most part. So... my sourness is not with our members... our members are awesome and I am glad to be part of the talks we all have. Wish this was an S/L (limited like say.. Salems) and we all got a copy to cherish
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Everyone has an equal chance of buying the book at the onsale date and time. If you are one of the lucky ones to obtain a copy, congrats. If you then want to turn around and sell it for twice the price, then congrats again. Making a profit on something you own is legal and nothing to be ashamed of.

I have bought some books and flipped for a small profit, while other times, I have sold extra copies at face value to members who weren't able to get a copy directly. I felt good both times. You can call flipping sleazy or whatever else you choose. The owner can do what he or she wants with their book.

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonaldj View Post

LOL. Yep, it will probably take all of five seconds. In this case, I should go ahead and wake up at 2:30am when it goes on sale. Wake up, log-in, "item is sold out", FUK!, go back to bed....it will all just seem like the briefest of bad dreams in the morning.

Gabriel
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Closet Flipper Frankie has a spectacular aura about Frankie has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    Making a profit on something you own is legal and nothing to be ashamed of.
    I don't recall anyone saying it is illegal, unless you're saying that since it's legal it can't be distasteful or objectionable, which I would heavily disagree with.

There were literally numerous children that didn't get a Wii for Christmas because of flippers in front of their parents in line, and the parents couldn't afford to pay the markup the flippers demanded. You and many other people may think differently, but if I had been one of those flippers, I would be extremely ashamed.

This is the same thing, even though people are more likely to get up in arms about stories involving children and Christmas and less well-to-do parents, than they are about upper middle class guys fighting over a collectible.

Maybe sleazy is too strong of a word, but I absolutely find it distasteful and objectionable. I have had the chance to flip (including the Wii) and I've never taken it. I would rather see the product go to the end user at market price.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

I am not a flipper and i am not upper middle class. i use my credit cards and run them up like all good hoosiers do. If i had money i would be doing something really fun with it. and probably be in jail.

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    I don't recall anyone saying it is illegal, unless you're saying that since it's legal it can't be distasteful or objectionable, which I would heavily disagree with.

There were literally numerous children that didn't get a Wii for Christmas because of flippers in front of their parents in line, and the parents couldn't afford to pay the markup the flippers demanded. You and many other people may think differently, but if I had been one of those flippers, I would be extremely ashamed.

This is the same thing, even though people are more likely to get up in arms about stories involving children and Christmas and less well-to-do parents, than they are about upper middle class guys fighting over a collectible.

Maybe sleazy is too strong of a word, but I absolutely find it distasteful and objectionable. I have had the chance to flip (including the Wii) and I've never taken it. I would rather see the product go to the end user at market price.
    I agree with you - but the secondary market allows us to have the books thankfully. I, for one, like many others here I think will never sell their collection unless ABSOLUTELY necessary. I think at that point, once selling for good, is when I would price them at market value. However I have flipped once, recently, with the A Clash of Kings. I did that because I knew I wanted some money to put toward a Stand S/l - so I did it. I sold it for less than market value so I made some money and the guy that bought it paid less than the 1000 dollars they were going for.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrowley View Post
    My goal if purchased is purely to flip the book
    Hmmm... Classy!

No really it doesn't matter what your intent is. You buy a book and later sell it for a profit and you are doing the same thing regardless. If able I would buy 3 or 4 copies of a book and keep one for myself while selling the others. The best of both worlds
    Even more classy!

I hate to tell you this but if people didn't sell their books for a profit you or anyone else new to collecting would have zero chance of ever obtaining a past king book that you didn't own
    That statement is nonsense. I own several PC copies of long out of print S/L and Lettered Editions that I have purchased in the last year at the original published price.

Be careful because you are calling quite a few king collectors sleazy. Also comes off as a bit whiny. After all if you want something at face value there is nothing stopping you from purchasing it. Your good intentions are very noble, I hear the road to hell is paved with them
    Nice. I see you're still a master at making new friends and influencing people...

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

I missed out when The Shining S/L went on sale. Meanwhile, a member here bought more than one copy, and I was able to work out a deal with him to purchase it. In the end, he made a nice profit, and I got the numbered copy I was hoping for. Everyone wins!

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

I bought my copy through a third party seller the same way so it all works out

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Years from now...some old flipper geezer is gonna die and when they have his estate sale they will find all of his spare bedrooms FILLED with perfectly sealed Mint Condition "Talking ELMO" plush toys from way back. Poor fella. One mans treasure if held to long becomes the same mans deluded trash. An actual true sad story I ran across a while back was that of a California family who collected Beanie Babies like crazy back when it was all a crazy...when good Christian women were meeting strangers in parking lots and swappin BJs for "the rare variant" of whichever beanie babie they were needing. Ok...maybe the last bit was made up (or maybe not...for I'm sure some people will take their deepest darkest shames to their graves!). So anyhoo...the man said that it was an "investment" and that they were gonna send all 3 or 4 of their kids off to college with the $$ after they "FLIPPED" the rare Beanie collectables. The parents would send these kids running into stores and buying multiples of these things. Poor kids. Ok..I realize now that I am now rambling like a madman. It's one of my coworkers bdays today. Ugh...hurry up with this bday cake already!

G
    NEED:

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

BTW...I already promised my sister that I would take her to see Taylor Swift (actually I wouldn't mind seeing her). So, I am ready to "punch-a-scalper" if they try to ruin my day!

-G
    NEED:

Closet Flipper Frankie has a spectacular aura about Frankie has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    I missed out when The Shining S/L went on sale. Meanwhile, a member here bought more than one copy, and I was able to work out a deal with him to purchase it. In the end, he made a nice profit, and I got the numbered copy I was hoping for. Everyone wins!
    Except the 751st person that tried to buy one from SP.

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

See when you buy a book and it arrives at your house - you can, if you wish, take it out back and set it on fire whilst filming it for You Tube.
    That would be much more annoying than flipping it for a profit imo

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Unless it was a Koontz book of course.,......

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post
    Except the 751st person that tried to buy one from SP.
    Well, I had gone back and forth when they went on sale, and made the choice then not to buy because I didn't like the original art. I regretted my choice after Vincent Chong was announced. But since I had my finger on the mouse almost ready to buy when they were on sale, would that make me #751??

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

I actually ordered one initially then canceled after I saw Rodriguez s art. Once they picked chong to replace him I ordered one through a third party for significantly more. It happens and I was fine with it. By the way Frankie what are your thoughts on booksellers who's very purpose is to buy books at a discount and sell for a profit? Are they sleazy as well?

By the way Frankie what are your thoughts on booksellers who's very purpose is to buy books at a discount and sell for a profit? Are they sleazy as well?
    Your rationalizations are getting increasingly ridiculous, and they were pretty bad to begin with. Just give it up and realize that not everyone thinks the way you do.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

By the way Frankie what are your thoughts on booksellers who's very purpose is to buy books at a discount and sell for a profit? Are they sleazy as well?
    Your rationalizations are getting increasingly ridiculous, and they were pretty bad to begin with. Just give it up and realize that not everyone thinks the way you do.
    We get it. You don't like flippers. That's fine. Just give it up and realize that not everyone thinks the way you do.

We get it. You don't like flippers. That's fine. Just give it up and realize that not everyone thinks the way you do.
    If you'll look through the thread, you'll notice that I initially merely stated my opinion, crowley was the one that started whining because peoples opinions differed from his. I'm more than content to let it lie, but I'm also not going to let Crowley get away with spouting nonsense as the final world on the subject. He wants to keep making lame rationalizations, I'll keep pointing out that they're lame.

My Mood
    Devilish

I have no problem with debating with you Frankie but what sets you and T-Dogz apart from others is that you act like such assholes when you disagree with someone. Why does everything have to be personal just because we disagree?

Be careful because you are calling quite a few king collectors sleazy. Also comes off as a bit whiny. After all if you want something at face value there is nothing stopping you from purchasing it. Your good intentions are very noble, I hear the road to hell is paved with them
    As far as I'm concerned this is the first post that made it personal and also was basically entirely argumentative. Practically trolling. Maybe we can make a poll or something, because from where I'm standing you're the one being the asshole here.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I have no problem with debating with you Frankie but what sets you and T-Dogz apart from others is that you act like such assholes when you disagree with someone. Why does everything have to be personal just because we disagree?
    ^^^^
    This.

I also fail to see the need for comments to be personal. As the instigator of the debate, I can enjoy both sides of the argument but NOT when the response becomes infantile.
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

My Mood
    Devilish

If you'll look through the thread, you'll notice that I initially merely stated my opinion, crowley was the one that started whining because peoples opinions differed from his. I'm more than content to let it lie, but I'm also not going to let Crowley get away with spouting nonsense as the final world on the subject. He wants to keep making lame rationalizations, I'll keep pointing out that they're lame.

I wasn't trying to rationalize anything, I legitimately wanted to know your thoughts and you responded in a very aggressive and condescending manner. Thanks!

My Mood
    Devilish

As far as I'm concerned this is the first post that made it personal and also was basically entirely argumentative. Practically trolling. Maybe we can make a poll or something, because from where I'm standing you're the one being the asshole here.

Did you miss the part where you called people sleazy ? It was before that post. I should not have taken the bait but clearly you have a short memory

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 17 ... LastLast