Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying things specifically to sell for a profit.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by erxbooks View Post
    So is the reverse true? If as a buyer you pay $10 for a book you know is worth $200, is that wrong as well?

http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...l=1#post850832
    Nah, he just ripped off his friend. haha JK
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Closet Flipper Frankie has a spectacular aura about Frankie has a spectacular aura about

Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorZaius View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Just as an intellectual (and hypothetical) exercise,

Publisher offers a S/L edition of 200 copies; first come, first serve once the order page goes live.

Let's say person A uses three credit cards and three addresses to order three S/L books, with the intent to flip two immediately at a 150% markup to offset the cost of the one to be kept and collected.

Person B develops a computer program that is able to immediately purchase 75 copies at time of sale, using various suite numbers or boxes (and purchase order accounts). Person B then sells all 75 copies on eBay at a 100% markup.

Both have "initial intent" of flipping for a profit. Both are gaming the system; just to a differing matter of degree.

Are both A and B worthy of derision? Or praise for cleverness, for that matter? Or is one somehow ok and the other not?
    If I missed out and wanted the book, I would buy from either of them, no problem.
    You have "no problem" paying a 100% markup to someone that cheated the system in order to secure an enormous percentage of the available copies? Wow.
    Is your issue he "cheated the system" to buy them? Or that he is selling them at a profit? Or both?

Do you see a difference to the person who logs in with two different accounts/cards/address and buys two copies to the guy who buys 70 copies in regard to "cheating the system"?
    Cheating is cheating. Sure, doing it 70 times is worse than once, but...

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post

Publisher offers a S/L edition of 200 copies; first come, first serve once the order page goes live.

Let's say person A uses three credit cards and three addresses to order three S/L books, with the intent to flip two immediately at a 150% markup to offset the cost of the one to be kept and collected.

Person B develops a computer program that is able to immediately purchase 75 copies at time of sale, using various suite numbers or boxes (and purchase order accounts). Person B then sells all 75 copies on eBay at a 100% markup.

Both have "initial intent" of flipping for a profit. Both are gaming the system; just to a differing matter of degree.

Are both A and B worthy of derision? Or praise for cleverness, for that matter? Or is one somehow ok and the other not?
    If I missed out and wanted the book, I would buy from either of them, no problem.
    You have "no problem" paying a 100% markup to someone that cheated the system in order to secure an enormous percentage of the available copies? Wow.
    As a buyer, you have no way of knowing if/how the seller cheated the system. So it's a moot point.
    Not necessarily true.

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    So let's step back for a second from your views of flippers, etc. Let's look at this from solely a book collector's perspective. If a S/L hit the market at $400 and you missed the chance to buy one the day or release, what would you do?

1) Buy the book for $800 from the person who "cheated" the system
    2) Wait 6-12 months and hope to find a copy for between $400-$800
    3) Not buy a copy

I agree that giving the seller the extra $400 would leave a bad taste in my mouth
    Sure, you gotta do what you gotta do if you want it in your collection. I'm like you, it would leave a bad taste in my mouth, whereas some people apparently it wouldn't.

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Is your issue he "cheated the system" to buy them? Or that he is selling them at a profit? Or both?

Do you see a difference to the person who logs in with two different accounts/cards/address and buys two copies to the guy who buys 70 copies in regard to "cheating the system"?
    Cheating is cheating. Sure, doing it 70 times is worse than once, but...

Quote Originally Posted by bdwyer19 View Post

As a buyer, you have no way of knowing if/how the seller cheated the system. So it's a moot point.
    Not necessarily true.
    Unless someone has a reputation of being a flipper, how exactly would you know?

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

A true and somewhat related story of flipping, laziness, and how everything has a price...

This story occurred back in my college days at Texas A&M...before "the chosen one" arrived (Johnny Manziel). I found a pretty nice shirt at the mall while I was looking through Dillard's clearance racks. I paid about $45 for the shirt. I got home and tried it on with some actual pants that I thought would work with the shirt. My roommate shows up and says, "how much you want for the shirt?" I looked at him quizzically and replies, "I just bought this dang shirt dood. I'm not selling it." He asks how much I paid and I tell him $45. He says, i'll give you $50! I say "no". 10 minutes later after a "name your price back and forth" he hands over $75, and I give him his new shirt. Did I feel bad?? Slightly. Mostly I was just amused by how much he "needed/wanted" the shirt I had just bought.

G
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by thegunslinger41 View Post
    A true and somewhat related story of flipping, laziness, and how everything has a price...

This story occurred back in my college days at Texas A&M...before "the chosen one" arrived (Johnny Manziel). I found a pretty nice shirt at the mall while I was looking through Dillard's clearance racks. I paid about $45 for the shirt. I got home and tried it on with some actual pants that I thought would work with the shirt. My roommate shows up and says, "how much you want for the shirt?" I looked at him quizzically and replies, "I just bought this dang shirt dood. I'm not selling it." He asks how much I paid and I tell him $45. He says, i'll give you $50! I say "no". 10 minutes later after a "name your price back and forth" he hands over $75, and I give him his new shirt. Did I feel bad?? Slightly. Mostly I was just amused by how much he "needed/wanted" the shirt I had just bought.

G
    I hope you threw in the pants that matched!

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The Library Policeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thegunslinger41 View Post

G
    I hope you threw in the pants that matched!
    Now wait a moment, I would hope he kept his pants on!! LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Is your issue he "cheated the system" to buy them? Or that he is selling them at a profit? Or both? Do you see a difference to the person who logs in with two different accounts/cards/address and buys two copies to the guy who buys 70 copies in regard to "cheating the system"?

"Cheating is cheating. Sure, doing it 70 times is worse than once, but..."
    Well it seems you have an issue with a good chunk of collectors here, as I am aware that it is rather common place to have at least two seperate accounts/cards to buy more than one limited edition book.

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Is your issue he "cheated the system" to buy them? Or that he is selling them at a profit? Or both? Do you see a difference to the person who logs in with two different accounts/cards/address and buys two copies to the guy who buys 70 copies in regard to "cheating the system"?

Well it seems you have an issue with a good chunk of collectors here, as I am aware that it is rather common place to have at least two seperate accounts/cards to buy more than one limited edition book.
    I'm not saying I disagree or agree with flipping so please don't attack me but why do some small press publishers have rules against a single customer buying more than one copy if the practice is not frowned upon in some way? It seems like the publisher would not care as long as the books were being sold but CD and SP both had a rule about not buying more than one copy per address, I'm just asking and not attacking anyone

Rabid Billybumbler Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of Joe315 has much to be proud of

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

I'm not saying I disagree or agree with flipping so please don't attack me but why do some small press publishers have rules against a single customer buying more than one copy if the practice is not frowned upon in some way? It seems like the publisher would not care as long as the books were being sold but CD and SP both had a rule about not buying more than one copy per address, I'm just asking and not attacking anyone
    If I had to guess, I'd say the rule is there to keep someone from buying up all the copies and reselling them at a large markup. But that probably depends on the author and popularity of a given book.

It could be part of the contracts they sign with the authors as well.

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I would also say that the small press publishers of King's works seem more in touch with the King fans and want to give them all a more or less equal chance to get a book.

John

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I would also say that the small press publishers of King's works seem more in touch with the King fans and want to give them all a more or less equal chance to get a book.

John
    This.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I guess Carrie flipping debate was fruitless....

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sharki69 View Post
    How so? I found it very fruitful. It was entertaining if nothing else.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Servant of Gan sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69 is a name known to all sharki69's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    Fruitless in the meaning of flipping not entertaining ...

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

So who is going to try and buy a Lettered Carrie from PS with the intent of flipping it for a profit? I wonder if there is any profit to be made considering the issue price.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

So who is going to try and buy a Lettered Carrie from PS with the intent of flipping it for a profit? I wonder if there is any profit to be made considering the issue price.
    I think a better question would be - if you are planning to buy the book and do not get one of the 26, how much would you be willing to pay from a "flipper" to get a copy? $6000? $8000?

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I still don't see it as fruitless. Stroppy wanted opinions about the idea of flipping the lettered Carrie. He/we certainly got that.

I/we learned a lot. We learned that most of us accept capital exploitation as a fact of life whether we like it or not. We learned that some people do have moral objections of varying degrees to the practice. We learned that most members can participate in a discussion in a civil manner and that some are less able. We learned that most of us have participated in the secondary market. We learned that most (all?) of us are collectors/fans, despite reselling, rather than profiteers.

We also learned that opinions on flipping high end collectible books is a subjective matter. To someone who has a $#!+pot full of money it might well be a way to make a quick profit. To most collectors we just want to get the book we want to collect. To most Stephen King fans it doesn't matter one way or another as long as they get to read the story. To most of the world it is of no importance whatsoever.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    I think a better question would be - if you are planning to buy the book and do not get one of the 26, how much would you be willing to pay from a "flipper" to get a copy? $6000? $8000?
    That is a much better question.

Bastard Son of Cort stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin is loved more than Jesus stroppygoblin's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

I still don't see it as fruitless. Stroppy wanted opinions about the idea of flipping the lettered Carrie. He/we certainly got that.

I/we learned a lot. We learned that most of us accept capital exploitation as a fact of life whether we like it or not. We learned that some people do have moral objections of varying degrees to the practice. We learned that most members can participate in a discussion in a civil manner and that some are less able. We learned that most of us have participated in the secondary market. We learned that most (all?) of us are collectors/fans, despite reselling, rather than profiteers.

We also learned that opinions on flipping high end collectible books is a subjective matter. To someone who has a $#!+pot full of money it might well be a way to make a quick profit. To most collectors we just want to get the book we want to collect. To most Stephen King fans it doesn't matter one way or another as long as they get to read the story. To most of the world it is of no importance whatsoever.
    Nicely summarised Brian
    "A real limited edition, far from being an expensive autograph stapled to a novel, is a treasure. And like all treasures do, it transforms the responsible owner into a caretaker, and being a caretaker of something as fragile and easily destroyed as ideas and images is not a bad thing but a good one...and so is the re-evaluation of what books are and what they do that necessarily follows." - Stephen King

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

To most of the world it is of no importance whatsoever.
    THIS!

Most of my "normal" peers would shit kittens if they knew how much I spend on books
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Well stated, Br!an.

The problem with Eric's question is that any answer over the MSRP is going to encourage flippers and thereby increase the competition when the publisher goes live with the sale.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

This hasn't been discussed in a bit (in this thread).

Getting it on. at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one has a spectacular aura about at_one's Avatar

My Mood
    Amazed
    Country
    Country Flag

I hate the idea that people will buy 5-10 copies of a book just to flip 6 or 7 of them down the road. This creates a false supply/demand, and can jack up prices for guys like me that don't "collect" SK on a daily basis. Hell, I took a 2 year break from collecting and have a ton to catch up on!!!

Citizen of Gilead AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

As far as I know, it's still illegal to stand in front of a venue and sell tickets to the concert/sporting event for more than face value. Yet it perfectly legal to scalp them online.
    This depends on the state and how far from the venue you stand. In Texas you basically just need to be a block away

Citizen of Gilead AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad is a name known to all AstroDad's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AstroDad View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post

As far as I know, it's still illegal to stand in front of a venue and sell tickets to the concert/sporting event for more than face value. Yet it perfectly legal to scalp them online.
    This depends on the state and how far from the venue you stand. In Texas you basically just need to be a block away
    whoops, just noticed this is a two year old convo...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast