Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Buying things specifically to sell for a profit.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bryant Burnette View Post
    So far, all I've heard in the way of explaining why it's okay to engage in profiteering of the kind that I was talking about when this topic got kicked off is some variant of the following: "The system permits for it, and it worked for me, and that's all I care about." At the bottom of things, it's selfish behavior that fails to take into account other people's feelings.
    That is a wholly unrealistic opinion to have. However, I do understand your point.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

As do I but I'll put the idea forth that whereas most of us would agree that exploiting for a need based commodity and just something someone would like to have is vastly quantifiably different. I am sure Mr. Burnette would disagree, but no I don't see it as different degrees of the same thing. A want is simply that and not a neccessity such as food, or medicine. I see absolutely nothing wrong with profiting on things people merely desire and can comfortably do without. And if anyone does feel there is no difference they are equally entitled to pick up multiple copies of rare books and sell them at cost...or even at a loss....thus maximizing people's happiness.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=Merlin1958;768092]
    That is a wholly unrealistic opinion to have. However, I do understand your point.
    Unrealistic...?

How so?

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=Bryant Burnette;768110]
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    Unrealistic...?

How so?
    If you don't know then you are beyond enlightenment.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Apprentice Bryant Burnette will become famous soon enough Bryant Burnette's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, richard.

Demon of the Prim AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC has much to be proud of AKC's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Haven't we beat this fucking horse to death?

Holy shit....

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AKC View Post

Holy shit....
    Probably so, but nobody is making you read it.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, richard.
    I believe you're confused good sir. His name is Bill. I only point this out because if you're NOT confused you're implying something really not nice and since you've already come in here (not this thread, but the other)kinda' brashly ...just if you're gonna' call names have the balls to do so even if it does have negative consequences. I mean to tell people that they're not being nice by not conforming to your own ideals while slyly acting like a smartass, being passive agressive, and calling people names is kinda' dickish, ya' know?

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Rearrange Me Til I'm Sane Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Bravo, Brice, Bravo
    We all float down here!

Gunslinger Apprentice mcdonaldj will become famous soon enough mcdonaldj's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

So far, all I've heard in the way of explaining why it's okay to engage in profiteering of the kind that I was talking about when this topic got kicked off is some variant of the following: "The system permits for it, and it worked for me, and that's all I care about." At the bottom of things, it's selfish behavior that fails to take into account other people's feelings.
    If a buyer speculated and bought multiple copies that is just part of a free market that supports private ownership. Your subjective and simplistic opinion that it is selfish behavior ignores many perfectly valid points to the contrary raised in this thread and the previous one.

If you would personally like to acquire a S/L edition at or near issue price after missing out on the original sale (and who's fault was that?) get off the soapbox and try making some acquaintances here. I purchased a S/L IT close to issue price and S/L Doctor Sleep at issue price from members here.

Finally, stating a need to consider 'other people's feelings' in relation to buying S/L books is a bit dramatic. Someone can chose to do you a favor (usually because they like you - hint, hint) and sell you a book at issue price or they can charge a premium for their time and effort in acquiring the book up to whatever price point the market will bear. The choice is theirs as the owner, not yours as a guy who thinks you deserve a cheaper S/L book.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, richard.
    Either say it or don't.
    Call him a "dick", but the "richard" comment was pretty weak.
    Perhaps just state your side of the debate.

P.S. neg rep added for the statement.

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    retarded
    Neostatus - It's alarming that YOU don't understand that this is extremely offensive to a lot of people asshole. Quit with the stupid assumptions that the word you just used is okay, You are the one looking foolish sir. I work with mentally handicapped and physically disabled children every day. I can't believe you even had the nerve to say that.
    lol, I won't be changing my language for you, or anyone else. Keep whining--it's hilarious. You don't get to tell me what to do. Got that?

This is just for you:

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    ...The terms used for this condition are subject to a process called the euphemism treadmill. This means that whatever term is chosen for this condition, it eventually becomes perceived as an insult. The terms mental retardation and mentally retarded were invented in the middle of the 20th century to replace the previous set of terms, which were deemed to have become offensive. By the end of the 20th century, these terms themselves have come to be widely seen as disparaging and politically incorrect and in need of replacement...
    Thank you Jerome. I have endless respect for people who think for themselves.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

While we are again off topic, may I just add very quickly --
    I work with mentally handicapped and physically disabled children every day.
    Thanks for doing that. I have endless respect for people who think about others.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    As do I but I'll put the idea forth that whereas most of us would agree that exploiting for a need based commodity and just something someone would like to have is vastly quantifiably different. I am sure Mr. Burnette would disagree, but no I don't see it as different degrees of the same thing. A want is simply that and not a neccessity such as food, or medicine. I see absolutely nothing wrong with profiting on things people merely desire and can comfortably do without. And if anyone does feel there is no difference they are equally entitled to pick up multiple copies of rare books and sell them at cost...or even at a loss....thus maximizing people's happiness.
    I agree 100%.

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

[QUOTE=neosatus;768182]
    retarded

lol, I won't be changing my language for you, or anyone else. Keep whining--it's hilarious. You don't get to tell me what to do. Got that?

]
    You know, I had typed an actual response to this but fuck it, what's the point. Any adult who actually talks this way wouldn't get it. So here's a quick fuck you instead.

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

it's one person, more advantaged than others, using his/her influence to hog the supply and exploit the demand for personal gain.
    This.

I get reasoning behind it. I really do. People like to make money. And if it takes selling something to someone so desperate to own that item that they'll pay whatever the asking price is, so be it.

It's like that old saying, "There's a sucker born every minute."

There are also plenty of people willing to take advantage of those "suckers".
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

I know its "not fair" that everyone can't get a copy at retail price but if you don't like it don't buy it and don't collect. Life's not fair. Get over it

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The very idea of fairness when speaking of limited editions is ludicrous. I mean if we want fair then EVERYBODY should have one....even if they can't afford it. We should have book welfare for those who can't. We could still call it limited as it would be strictly limited to the number of men, women,and children on the planet.

If you rescue me

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

The very idea of fairness when speaking of limited editions is ludicrous. I mean if we want fair then EVERYBODY should have one....even if they can't afford it. We should have book welfare for those who can't. We could still call it limited as it would be strictly limited to the number of men, women,and children on the planet.
    What about the things that become artificially limited due to time constraints (like people that have to have a certain thing before Christmas) or simply because it's the hot new thing that everyone is trying to buy (see Furbies, Beenie Babies, ect...)?
    Hearts are tough, she said, most times hearts don't break, and I'm sure that's right . . . but what about then? What about who we were then? What about hearts in Atlantis?

Citizen of Gilead bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19 has a brilliant future bdwyer19's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
    What about the things that become artificially limited due to time constraints (like people that have to have a certain thing before Christmas) or simply because it's the hot new thing that everyone is trying to buy (see Furbies, Beenie Babies, ect...)?
    Then it comes down to a want vs. a need. This is capitalistic society. Nobody HAS to own a Furbie or a Beanie Baby, or a Stephen King S/L. But if they want one, then it's a completely different story. Nobody is being forced to buy a S/L at a certain price. But if someone absolutely has to have one, they should be prepared to pay whatever the market dictates.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neosatus View Post
    retarded

]
    You know, I had typed an actual response to this but fuck it, what's the point. Any adult who actually talks this way wouldn't get it. So here's a quick fuck you instead.
    Well, I don't know. Assuming that some people are not worth the effort would seem to be the problem of saying that somebody "sounds retarded" in the first place. One can choose to be intractably ignorant, but I'd be careful jumping to conclusion that someone's deeply unrepentant. Maybe he just still doesn't see. I agree with Carlin, and as the information Jerome reported indicates, it may be harmless to refer to someone who is actually mentally challenged as "retarded" if the context is descriptive and not intending to disparage. I think it is important to be aware of what it implies about such people, however, if you warn someone whose opinion you don't like that they could be mistaken for one of them.

I don't think it is an inaccurate analysis of the arguments presented that none disprove the self-interest on that side of things. They mostly just point out that there is some degree of selfishness on the other side, too. Whether it's at all realistic for people in general to be more selfless, I don't know, honestly. But it is true that systemic wrongness doesn't absolutely justify a particular wrong, so it's fair to want people to at least say "I do understand your point." Nevertheless, unless you have a really practical method to help parties who might get a little screwed under the current system without more fundamentally screwing other parties, then it is NOT fair, really, to expect more than that.
    James Whitcomb Riley's poem: My Philosofy

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Path, I'll write a longer reply tomorrow night but more likely on Sunday. It comes down to this- using someone's sexual orientation, race or disability as a derogatry term directly states there is something wrong with any of those. They're words of hatred and discrimination. I saw what RF posted and took something else from it. Words are fluid and change meaning with time and enlightment. Can you imagine a society where dropping the N-bomb was still widely acceptable? When I take my daughter to see cartoons there are characters saying "moron." I wince every single time. How is that appropriate to teach our kids that their classmates' condition is a put-down? How is that in any way different from calling someone a fag?

As far as using "retarded" as a descriptive... dunno, I'm at work right now with two girls with disabilites. I could go ask them if they can think of any instance when using that word is not offensive to them. I'm sure what the answer would be though. I've seen some terrible things over the 12 years I've been doing this so I get a little emotional when an issue I care about comes up.

Lastly, anyone can use any words they wish. But there might be people who don't like it. You keep your right of speech but it pales next to a goddamn human rights issue and dignity. None of us are perfect and things slip out but a little empathy goes a long way. Imagine your daughter with a disability and ask yourself how you would react if some jackass used those terms.

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by neosatus View Post
    I used some language that was a bit harsher than the sentiment behind it called for, but here's my bottom line on this, and then I'll say no more on the subject: it's wrong to take advantage of people, and if everyone lived their lives with a sense of personal accountability for their actions, the world might be a better place.

Is that an unrealistic expectation? On the macro level, of course it is; on the micro level, it's a different story.
    It's alarming you don't realize what an absolute retarded statement this is. According to that logic someone making a living-someone making profit EVER, is "taking advantage people". Any business, any service is charging more for that product than they are paying for it and selling it to other people--for profit.

So someone has the foresight so predict that a product will go up in value and they buy some to sell and that makes that person a piece of shit? LOL
    You said "they know" will go up in value... but there is no sure thing. Maybe the value won't go up at all. Maybe it will go up a little bit but after shipping cost and time spent, there was no profit to be made. So quit with these stupid assumptions. You look very foolish, sir.
    Taking advantage OF people. Don't forget the "of," as that's the word that really ties the phrase together.
    Please pardon me, but I'm not "getting it". Sorry, I'm older.
    neosatus left the word OF out of "taking advantage people", and BB is focusing on his typo/grammar instead of the actual issue.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by AKC View Post

Holy shit....
    I am with you on that.

Somebody smack they guy who started this thread.

From what I read, only person here has issue with the practice.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast