Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter Straub, author

Citizen of Gilead surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly is a jewel in the rough surly's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

rules be damned. thats just so f#@*ing cool
    thanks so much for sharing.
    "When I have a little money, I buy books; and if I have any left, I buy food and clothes."
    Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus

Gunslinger Apprentice FennyBate is on a distinguished road FennyBate's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Love that framed d/j art, looks fantastic.

My Collins 'Floating Dragon' doesn't have a price, neither does my Collins 'The House Next Door'.

Collins printed a hardcover and paperback of 'Shadowland' in 1980, so I guess it's a later printing?
    Lincoln.

Gunslinger Apprentice FennyBate is on a distinguished road FennyBate's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just had a quick look on ABE, and there are Collins harcovers for sale that are dated 1980. There are also some dated 1981 - a couple say 'later printing', a couple say 'book club edition', in the description.
    Just as interesting, is that one of the 1980 editions is listed as 'price clipped'.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by FennyBate View Post
    Just had a quick look on ABE, and there are Collins harcovers for sale that are dated 1980. There are also some dated 1981 - a couple say 'later printing', a couple say 'book club edition', in the description.
    Just as interesting, is that one of the 1980 editions is listed as 'price clipped'.
    I have been wondering about this for years but have never done any serious investigating....just posing the question to other collectors and a bookseller here and there. I suspect that the price clipped 1980 edition that you refer to had a Collins price sticker on the inner flap and that sticker is what was clipped off. But who knows?

I have asked sellers on ABE who list 1980 as the publication date to check their copies and (in my admittedly small sample) all have had the 1981 date on the title page. I get "Oh, I never saw that!" a lot.

Demon of the Prim mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about mikeC has a spectacular aura about

They really need to remake Ghost Story, such a great book and movie while ok, it isn't close to a good adaptation. I thought about getting the cinefantastique to find out what went wrong in that adaptation.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Thanks Bev.

Gunslinger Apprentice Cordial Jim will become famous soon enough Cordial Jim's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The Washington Post had a glowing review of Interior Darkness: Selected Stories in today's paper. It looks like a really good collection. I'll definitely be picking this up.

""Interior Darkness" is a book for those who think they dislike horror, as well as for those who love and respect the genre. Filled with terror, wit and unexpected grace notes, it's a remarkable achievement that reflects the arc of a lengthy and celebrated career."

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Got Shadowland from the library (my first Straub novel not counting his King collaborations) but it's not doing much for me. Should I keep on pushing through?
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I would say push through; Shadowland is one of my favorite horror novels by anyone; It is the only thing I can think of that I definitely prefer, although SK may have a few others that surpass it. Shadowland ruined me for Straub because I never found anything that good by him after that: I hated Floating Dragon, enjoyed (but not wildly) A Dark Matter, Lost Boy Lost Girl and In The Night Room. Ghost Story is also excellent.

FWIW, he has many things I haven't yet read (Koko, Mystery, Hellfire Club, Mr. X, The Throat, others); I'm not here to bury his catalog (and anyone who hasn't tried him out definitely should).
    It seems I'm miles above the surface of the Earth

I can see across the whole of London and beyond

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks, I'll keep on reading.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Guardian of the Beam cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74 has much to be proud of cit74's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My favorites were koko and ghost story
    Wanted:
    Gunslinger s/l #344
    Drawing of The Three s/l #344

“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” Wayne Gretzky

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Thanks, I'll keep on reading.
    GHOST STORY is his masterpiece...before throwing in the towel (if SHADOWLAND doesn't do it for you), I'd give that one a shot. I've fallen away from Straub, after being a faithful reader of his in the '80s and '90s, but I'd recommend GHOST STORY without reservation and, in fact, look forward to rereading it myself one of these days.

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Straub has three main phases, although there are exceptions during each period:

1) the early, gothic, huge, convoluted novels up to Floating Dragon
    2) Starting with Koko, big, but less gothic and less convoluted
    3) Starting with lost boy, lost girl, shorter and more focused books

A number of his books are tied together by the character Tim Underhill, who first appeared in Koko. These are thought of as the Blue Rose book.

His newest release is the forthcoming novella "The Process (is a Process All its Own)" from Subterranean Press.

Trivia: It was Straub who created Bango Skank for his story "The Buffalo Hunter"

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I received my copy of Peter's new novella from Subterranean Press, "The Process (Is a Process All Its Own)". Delighted to see that it is copy #1 of 750.

Gunslinger Apprentice Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha is a jewel in the rough Phalucha's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Straub has three main phases, although there are exceptions during each period:

1) the early, gothic, huge, convoluted novels up to Floating Dragon
    2) Starting with Koko, big, but less gothic and less convoluted
    3) Starting with lost boy, lost girl, shorter and more focused books

A number of his books are tied together by the character Tim Underhill, who first appeared in Koko. These are thought of as the Blue Rose book.

His newest release is the forthcoming novella "The Process (is a Process All its Own)" from Subterranean Press.

Trivia: It was Straub who created Bango Skank for his story "The Buffalo Hunter"

That is awesome characterization. I have read Floating Dragon and Ghost Story twice each and can barely remember what they are about.

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Peter Straub matching numbered signed limited set. $125 shipped:

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Gunslinger Apprentice LetoAtreides will become famous soon enough LetoAtreides will become famous soon enough

Centipede just opened pre-ordering for Julia today:

http://centipedepress.com/horror/julia.html

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Room 217 Caretaker View Post

Mulleins
    Had a couple members ask to see the marbled end papers of the matching S/L set. Here you go:

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Can Toi St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy has a brilliant future St. Troy's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Mulleins
    Who is the publisher of this?

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by LetoAtreides View Post

I keep waiting for news like this, but for Shadowland or Ghost Story.

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post

Mulleins
    Who is the publisher of this?
    Borderland Press

Demon of the Prim lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz has a brilliant future lotuz's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This one has been in the works for quite some time and I'm eager to see how it turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Centipede Press
    This new edition of Julia features several full-page, full-color illustrations by Rodger Gerberding, a stunning front cover by Colombian artist Marcela Bolívar, a new introduction by T.M. Wright, and an interview with Peter Straub. The book is elegantly typeset in Requiem and is bound in distinctive European cloth, has a rounded back, top-edge stain, ribbon marker, and gorgeous marbled endsheets imported from France.
    Over 7 × 10 inches in size, front and rear cover image pastedown, two-color stamping on spine, and a stunning design. Each book is signed by Peter Straub, T.M. Wright, Rodger Gerberding, and Marcela Bolívar.
    I love the jacketless books that Jerad does (both older and newer) and I'm excited to finally hold this one in my hands.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

This calls to mind another question of mine: does CP have a e-mailing list? I'd looked for a place on their website to sign up for one to learn of new things, but never saw one.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

They do; they typically arrive each Sunday morning. I don't know where on the site to look for the sign up, but I imagine it must be there somewhere. You could always send Jerad an email with a request.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast