Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: OCCUPY 2013: Ambannon Books Stephen King Collection

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Default OCCUPY 2013: Ambannon Books Stephen King Collection

To All Ambannon Books Friends & Family,

Hello, and welcome to Occupy Day. I know a lot of you are excited about hearing what I have to say (which totally strokes my ego, by the way, ha!), so let’s get right into it.

As a Stephen King collector, one of my favorite things to collect are books in a designated set. Books in a series that have the same style as each other, whether they’re paperback or hardcover, in English or a foreign language. I love them. I love the way they all look similar, I love the way they look on my bookshelves, I just love to display them. See examples below, in case you don’t know what I am talking about:

At this moment, there is no complete Stephen King "set" in which his entire catalog is collected.

Well, I would like to change that.

Ambannon Books is going to produce a series of dustjackets for your Stephen King collection. From Carrie to Doctor Sleep (or, rather, continuing forever), we will release one dustjacket a month at the price of $9.99, not including shipping. These dustjackets will be limited to 100 copies each, and they will be numbered and signed by the artist.

Speaking of the artist, please allow me to introduce Kelsey East. I stumbled across Kelsey’s work and fell in love. An amazing artist and photographer, she owns her own design company and did a mock-up of some Stephen King covers as an example of some of the book design work she can do.

I absolutely love the concept behind what she did, and with a few tweaks (The Boogeyman is only a short story, for example. The Game of Thrones-type banner design on the spine, for another), these are exactly what I have envisioned in my head for our Ambannon Books Stephen King Collection. So what did I do? I enlisted Kelsey to have a long-term partnership with Ambannon Books, creating these wonderful dustjackets for years to come. Also, I have already gone ahead and have received the approval from Marsha, Stephen King’s assistant, to do this type of project. I would hate to get sued by my favorite writer sometime down the road, as the only things I could pay him with is Stephen King books!

There is a question of size that keeps coming up in my head. Ummm, dustjacket size. My original thought for these dustjackets was that they could be married to book club edition books and make them actually worthwhile to have around. Book club editions, for anyone now in the know, are pretty much worthless in terms of monetary value. So, that would be great. And then we’ll figure something out later for the oversized books and the paperback books. But rest assured, this project is something that both Kelsey East and Ambannon Books are very interested in and excited to be doing. We won’t let you down. So be excited! More updates as we get closer, but Carrie, of course, will be the first dustjacket we produce.

Thanks, and let me know what you think in the comments below. Always interested in hearing honest feedback.

Shannon

P.S. Just an idea I had right now, but I'm pretty sure we'll be doing some kind of $9.99 per dustjacket or "Sign up for a year of dustjackets (12 jackets) for $100!" deal. More to come.

Citizen of Gilead Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia is a jewel in the rough Coulrophobia's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Congrats!!!!! I love it!!!! Sign me up!!

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but this wasn't it! Of course this would now mean I have to go out and buy BCEs on purpose ... then at least one additional bookcase ... one jacket a month times how many months? ... hmmmmmmmmmm ....

Maybe!
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

10 bucks is more than I pay for most of my books. Lets haggle.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Great idea, Shannon!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Interesting and outside the box. I need to think on this for a bit.

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm...interesting.....
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Citizen of Gilead thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41 is just really nice thegunslinger41's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Dood! If for some reason you get to meet Sai King due to this don't be surprised if you mind my ass cramped and crammed into your luggage.

g
    "Absorb the genius of the moment." -Michael Stipe
    "Victory is sweet even deep in the cheap seats." -Connor Oberst
    NEED:

One For Road Signed Artist Edition, PS Publishing
    The Gunslinger Viking proof
    Carrie $7.95 Doubleday later printing

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey, this looks really cool!

I'm in for the books I have.
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

This is actually awesome, to me.

I remember when someone posted that pic a few weeks back and I thought it would be so cool to have all the books on a shelf (shelves) with matching covers like that.

I'm IN!!!

I actually have many/most of his books in BCE and may have a few multiples, this will give me a reason to get them all organized and see if I can help anyone out on this forum that needs the ones I have multiples of.
    Christine

Servant of Gan shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq is a splendid one to behold shaq's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Congratulations Shannon, great idea!
    Nobody likes a clown at midnight

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Although the art is nice, I will have to pass. I stopped buying comics due to all of the variant covers, and these dust jackets remind me of that. I am sure some will like it, but I can't buy everything with King's name on it. I wish you good luck and I hope others enjoy.

Rearrange Me Til I'm Sane Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Very innovative Shannon - that's thinking way outside the box
    We all float down here!

Demon of the Prim ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB is a jewel in the rough ChristineB's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

One question Shannon... Is this going to be the original BCE size like from the 70's or the newer BCE size?

I vote for the newer size, only cause that is the size I have of them.
    Last edited by ChristineB; 03-16-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: to add my vote
    Christine

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I will go for this, I like the idea.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Cool idea Shannon
    Mark Twain

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

So if someone starts with the first one do they have right of refusal on future ones? Basically what I mean is say demand picks up after people start seeing them and at some point exceeds supply are the people who started with the first guaranteed first option to buy subsequent dustjackets...presumably with the number oyu started with?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    So if someone starts with the first one do they have right of refusal on future ones? Basically what I mean is say demand picks up after people start seeing them and at some point exceeds supply are the people who started with the first guaranteed first option to buy subsequent dustjackets?
    Don't figure on an answer until tomorrow. The "One Percenters" are having a "dinner party" this evening at their local Burger King to dry each others tears!!!

Muwhahahahaha!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Awww!

LOL
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Dustjacket Design

We will be tweaking Kelsey's original design. These are the first things that come to mind:

1) The cracked ice/foggy windshield background seems to have the same texture marking in each spot. That will be changed so that each title doesn't have the same exact carbon-copy background.

2) The "Stephen King 50th Novel" banners on the spine will be changed to something else. Not so crazy about those.

3) The fake publishing emblem will be changed to the Ambannon Books emblem.

4) We will be getting the size problem sorted out, and we will probably go with the most common version of the book that doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I mean, who is going to cover their first edition Night Shift with one of our dustjackets? No one. But a common book club edition? Of course.

5) Should we include the Bachman books? All of the first edition paperbacks have been released in later reprinted paperback editions (i.e. Signet) except for Rage. If we include them, we can continue the "Book One," "Book Two," style through them. If not, we will pass them by and forget they existed. Paperback dustjackets work the same way as hardcover ones, by the way.

I want to hear your ideas. I will be posting one of these each month, in regards to the specific book. This one is for the dustjacket design itself. The post for Carrie will be coming in a week or so. Your feedback is much appreciated, thank you.

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

Please do the Bachman books. Will these jackets be mailed folded flat or in a tube? I will probably get a frame thick enough for all of them, or maybe two frames, and display them that way, changing the jackets around every once in a while.

Edit - By the way - I really like those jackets you've shown, and all your ideas sound good to me!
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Country
    Country Flag

On the fence about the Bachman Books, maybe just a DJ for the HC compiled version.

Would like to know what you are thinking as per Brice's inquiry.
    Christine

Citizen of Gilead sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold sentinel is a splendid one to behold

Country
    Country Flag

Shannon, I'm sorry, I don't really like the dust jacket idea. The original dust jacket is part of the book and replacing it devalues it to me.
    Maybe for a reader copy?
    I was hoping you were going to have a matching set of nice slipcases for all King novels. I've got at least 20 different slipcases by
    different parties, they are all nice but it would be cool to have them all match and be protected.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

The sizes will be for the most common US edition of that book.

Yes, if you purchase #50 Carrie, when Salem's Lot is released, i will ask you if you'd like to purchase #50 as well.

Sentinel, these will be dust jackets for books that aren't worth much to begin with. If anything, our dust jackets will make them more valuable.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    If anything, our dust jackets will make them more valuable.
    Maybe I am in the very small minority here, but I would have to humbly disagree. I just don't see how a third-party dust jacket is going to increase the value of the book. You're changing the original state of the book as issued, book club or not. If I designed my own dust jacket and had it professionally printed and covered a book, making it a "1 of 1 collectible," would the value suddenly increase? I just don't see it. They certainly will look nice on a bookshelf. Who knows, I could end up being wrong in the long run...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast