Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cleaning Book Cloth

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Cleaning Book Cloth

A few books that I purchased last Fall were not issued with dust jackets and had picked up a noticeable amount of dust and light dirt on the covers over the years.

I found that an easy way to clean them up is using a kneaded eraser. You can find them at any office/art/craft store for about $1. They look like this.

Just knead the eraser for a minute or so to get it warmed up and soft, then press it onto the dusty area. Lift off to remove the dust. This is a good, non-abrasive way to clean the cover or cloth covered slipcase and it doesn't require any adhesives (like a link roller). If there's enough dust on the cloth, you will cleary see the clean spot.

This works best with loose dust and dirt that hasn't been ground into the cover, but kneaded erasers are soft enough that you could probably rub it on a more stubborn dirt spot to remove it. However, I would try this on a cheap book first to make sure you won't cause any damage.
    Mark Twain

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Scoogs, great advice. Do you have any before and after images?
    I will likely move this to the
    Collecting Tutorials
    section in a few days.

+ Reply to Thread