Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How Do You Collect? Spill Your Secrets!

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Default How Do You Collect? Spill Your Secrets!

I was just curious as to how people do what they do, collecting-wise. Oh course, I have my super-secrets that I don't want to share, but I don't mind sharing SOME of my ways of seeking out items.

I mostly stick to eBay. I've never bought anything from AbeBooks, and I very rarely buy from Craigslist.

On eBay, I search out the following items multiple times per day:

"Steven King"
    Stephen King
    Stephen King rare
    Stephen King art
    Stephen King promo
    Stephen King promotional
    Stephen King unique
    Stephen King strange
    Stephen King proof
    Stephen King advance
    Stephen King advanced
    Stephen King arc

And since I'm doing it multiple times per day, I stick to the "Most Recently Listed" sort. and see what's new. The only time I see what's "Ending Soonest" is for the regular Stephen King search. I look through the first 200 results.

And then, if and when I find something interesting, I almost always go through the seller's other listings to see what they have, and then sometimes on top of that, I message the seller and ask if he has any other Stephen King items.

That's pretty much all I do. Anyone else care to share?

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Good topic. I don't have an "in" with any publishers so I mainly stick to EBAY and ABE. On EBAY I like to search for:

Stephen King Art, Stepen King, Steven King, Stepehn King, Steven Kin, etc.

Nothing fancy with what I do. I try to look at things in my limited budget so no signed or S/Ls. I have found a few bargains this way but again, nothing to exciting.

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Oh course, I have my super-secrets that I don't want to share, but I don't mind sharing SOME of my ways of seeking out items.

I mostly stick to eBay. I've never bought anything from AbeBooks, and I very rarely buy from Craigslist.

On eBay, I search out the following items multiple times per day:

"Steven King"
    Stephen King
    Stephen King rare
    Stephen King art
    Stephen King promo
    Stephen King promotional
    Stephen King unique
    Stephen King strange
    Stephen King proof
    Stephen King advance
    Stephen King advanced
    Stephen King arc

And since I'm doing it multiple times per day, I stick to the "Most Recently Listed" sort. and see what's new. The only time I see what's "Ending Soonest" is for the regular Stephen King search. I look through the first 200 results.

And then, if and when I find something interesting, I almost always go through the seller's other listings to see what they have, and then sometimes on top of that, I message the seller and ask if he has any other Stephen King items.

That's pretty much all I do. Anyone else care to share?
    Thanks for not totally sharing.
    I can't tell you my secrets-otherwise they wouldn't be secrets.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously. Who in their right mind would do that?

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Spoiler:

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Seriously. Who in their right mind would do that?
    Bob, would you please be so kind as to share the highly tuned search skills you use the first thing in the morning and almost on a daily basis? Not only that, but before anyone else likely finds the item you personally are seeking, just post it here in Intriguing SK auctions thread.

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I'm almost tempted to use an emoticon in reply to this.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I'm almost tempted to use an emoticon in reply to this.
    This one?

or more likely this one:

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

lol, hey it's just an idea for a thread. They're not all winners ... lol

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    lol, hey it's just an idea for a thread. They're not all winners ... lol
    I love the idea; I am waiting to "steal" the secrets.

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

Boobs are my secret weapon.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by stkmw02 View Post
    Boobs are my secret weapon.
    Show me...

Or do you search with "boobs" as a parameter?

Demon of the Prim stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold stkmw02 is a splendid one to behold

My Mood
    Inspired

I was just wondering how you were going to steal them.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, we have to stop hijacking Shannon's thread-otherwise the best searching collectors in the world won't share their tips. No offense but search tips are the most important.

Servant of Gan George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs people like to rub elbows with me George at C-Springs's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

My technique is easy. First I e-mail you via a false address with the promise of a position somewhere or telling you that you won something or just advertising Jennifer Aniston's boobs. When you click on the e-mail, it automatically downloads a keystroke 'bot' that's pretty much undetectable because you have no idea what to look for in the first place and rely on good ol' Norton AV which you haven't updated or run in 6 months to catch it. Good luck with that! Everytime you use your system my software generates me a report that details every single thing you typed, from websites (and oh, some of the naughty ones that you visit!) to passwords (oh no, nobody would ever guess 1q2w3e4r5t, that's practically uncrackable!) to ... you guessed it ... search parameters and locations! I'm particularly fond of the sheer variety of online auction houses and foreign sites you use; much less competition than Abe, Alibris, Amazon, Bookfinder, and of course good ol' eBay!

Oh yeah ... when it's dark outside and the lights are on inside, I can see in but you can't see out ... and those white curtains only help me. Thank goodness I can see your screen from out there!
    WANT LIST: Any SK #186; Dark Man Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Unbound 1st Proof; FDNS Black Tape Spine Proof; FDNS Unbound Color Proof

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Ok, we have to stop hijacking Shannon's thread-otherwise the best searching collectors in the world won't share their tips. No offense but search tips are the most important.
    Spoiler:
    I THINK YOU WILL FIND THAT MOST MEN & ALL BABIES PREFER THE BREAST TIPS

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Since I have more or less "Completed" my collection (at least what I set out to accumulate) I can share. I actually paid a person (Member "Rusher") to assist. She found the most amazing deals!!! Of course, I searched "Ebay" regularly and utilized these boards extensively. When I started working with "Dolso" I spread out to access to the individual artists. Naturally, as your reputation grows, so does your "contact" base. "Hutch" and "Betts" were mainstay's for the hardcore editions. Maybe not very sophisticated, but it worked for me.

Oh, I would be remiss not to mention "Weathevane7" She helped me out quite a bit. Very nice Lady!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

How'd you know my password was 1q2w3e4r5t?

Prisoner of Gan Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute Ben Staad has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

LOL. I have no problem with sharing my "secrets". I think I would love to hear what went on before ebay and the prevalence of the internet. It must have been some wild times tracking down the books with correspondence everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    LOL. I have no problem with sharing my "secrets". I think I would love to hear what went on before ebay and the prevalence of the internet. It must have been some wild times tracking down the books with correspondence everywhere.
    BEEN THERE....... DID THAT! I'D SAY 80% OF MY KING COLLECTION AND 100% OF MY MOVIE TIE-IN COLLECTION. I STOPED BUYING MOVIE TIE-INS 16 YEARS AGO (OVER 10,000 BOOKS & MAGAZINES) WERE BOUGHT BEFORE THE INTERNET. BY THE WAY VERY LITTLE CORRESPONDENCE JUST EVERY WEEK WOULD HIT BOOK STORES & NEWS STANDS & ONCE IN A WHILE A BOOK FAIR. LIKE I STATED ONCE BEFORE THE WIFE & I SPENT THE NIGHT STANDING IN FRONT OF A BOOK STORE TO BUY THE S/L THE STAND.
    PART OF THE MAGAZINE COLLECTION 1958-1996

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

What a great picture.

Gunslinger Apprentice mcdonaldj will become famous soon enough mcdonaldj's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Holy crap - that is an immense magazine collection which appears very carefully sorted and indexed (Library Girl would be proud)! What is the total count?!?

I search ebay, alibris, amazon two-three times a week - and then just end up buying from a member here or Betts. It is fun to look but I rarely buy from other places. I have a hard time buying anything but a legit S/L from ebay with all the fakes. Veryfine and Abe are a waste of time IMHO.

I count on this forum to let me know when new S/Ls are being released so I can scoop one up (The Shining & Dr. Sleep) and also when S.K. is having a signing to see if I can get there.

Not sure any of this is much of a secret, but that's all I've got.

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I buy the books I know I'll want to keep and borrow the rest from the library ... not much of a collector yet. Turns out you need spare cash for that haha

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

How do I collect? Haphazardly.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I wait until I see something I want when someone post's pictures here of their collections... then I do some internet searches and find out where they live.... and then I pay them a visit when they are not home....

nice collection there needful....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast