Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is King critical of religion?

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default Is King critical of religion?

I've heard this complaint a lot from conservatives and the like that King attacks religion and Christianity in particular.

From my memory while there have been some villainous religious nuts in his stories (Carrie's mom, Mrs. Darmody from the Mist) they're more attacks on fundamentalism as opposed to any specific belief. And he's created plenty of positive characters like Father Callahan or Mother Abigail. And whenever God is featured in a story, he's usually viewed in a positive light; Desperation (even though there was the whole "God is cruel" theme), The Stand, the Green Mile, etc.

What are your thoughts?
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Great Old One ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan people like to rub elbows with me ur2ndbiggestfan's Avatar

I never argue religion or politics.
    I'm sure if there is intelligent life somewhere out there in the universe, they are wise enough to stay away from us.

And the people bowed and prayed, to the cell phone god they made...

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

As a Christian, I've never felt that he was critical of religion. Most of the villains who employ it, like Darmody, twist it to suit their needs. From my perspective, it makes them better villains.

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Same here. I don't think he's critical of it either (though some of his characters might be). If anything, in the books that I've read that feature religion, King has been the exact opposite.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

FWIW I didn't intend to start an argument about religion itself, I was just curious about King's views.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think he has commented on how he rejects the dogmatic nature somewhere, maybe in On Writing. I think he can be critical but I agree with him in the majority of his adverse assessments and don't judge people on their non-threatening beliefs, so I don't hold it against him. I'm of the opinion nobody will agree with another human on every individual thing and opinions are like b-holes.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Not critical enough.

J/k....don't go getting offended, friends!

Seriously, I am of the opinion that he both is and isn't. Basically I like that he doesn't avoid the subject and is willing to address it to some extent. First, I'd guess he considers himself christian or trying to be maybe (which I respect). Secondly, I think christians (and believers of all kinds) should think critically more on the subject. It leads to a better understanding of your own beliefs (or lack of them) and others'

Also I'd point out that even though bad shit happens in King stories the good (usually) triumps on some level.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Gunslinger Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins is a jewel in the rough Stebbins's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Well said Brice. I'd agree in a lot of aspects. I think he believes in God, a Creator of some kind. He's also not afraid to explore religious nuts. He's been around them so he does so with universal clarity. And I'd agree his stories are usually either positive or ambiguous. He said Tabitha thinks his pseudonym/ alter-ego was much darker and didn't like him. I think he's not offensive but critical in the observation sense, as he and authors are in all aspects of the human condition.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

OMG, I can't believe that I agree with Brice. There is a difference between being critical of conservatives and attacking Christianity. A lot of modern evangelicals don't get that. They should just be still for awhile and think about it.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I am sure we agree more than you might realize. Semantics and our own interpretations of what the other is saying probably get in the way sometmes.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    I've heard this complaint a lot from conservatives and the like that King attacks religion and Christianity in particular.

From my memory while there have been some villainous religious nuts in his stories (Carrie's mom, Mrs. Darmody from the Mist) they're more attacks on fundamentalism as opposed to any specific belief. And he's created plenty of positive characters like Father Callahan or Mother Abigail. And whenever God is featured in a story, he's usually viewed in a positive light; Desperation (even though there was the whole "God is cruel" theme), The Stand, the Green Mile, etc.

What are your thoughts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Empath of the White View Post
    As a Christian, I've never felt that he was critical of religion. Most of the villains who employ it, like Darmody, twist it to suit their needs. From my perspective, it makes them better villains.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Same here. I don't think he's critical of it either (though some of his characters might be). If anything, in the books that I've read that feature religion, King has been the exact opposite.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Not critical enough.

J/k....don't go getting offended, friends!

Seriously, I am of the opinion that he both is and isn't. Basically I like that he doesn't avoid the subject and is willing to address it to some extent. First, I'd guess he considers himself christian or trying to be maybe (which I respect). Secondly, I think christians (and believers of all kinds) should think critically more on the subject. It leads to a better understanding of your own beliefs (or lack of them) and others'

Also I'd point out that even though bad shit happens in King stories the good (usually) triumps on some level.
    Quote Originally Posted by pathoftheturtle View Post
    OMG, I can't believe that I agree with Brice. There is a difference between being critical of conservatives and attacking Christianity. A lot of modern evangelicals don't get that. They should just be still for awhile and think about it.
    All of the above.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Going Slap Happy Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick has a brilliant future Mattrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Country
    Country Flag

King is as critical of religion at all. It's merely a device he uses (as do many authors and filmmakers and artists) as a means of giving human beings more power. In The Mist, the power of religion changed the social hierchy of the synecdoche version of their town, essentially tearing down generations of societal construction to the dark ages. Yet this same sort of power can be seen in The Warden from Shawshank Redemption, and how his position provides power, leverage and esteem over the dregs of society and is most vexed by the person lower than him on society, but whose mind and humanity excede his title. If King is critical of religion then he's critical of just about everything from race, to social standings, to war and mental illness. I always view religious themes or elements in ficition is a combination of familiarity and emotional connection, allusions to biblical events and characters make it easier for people to understand or spiritually/emotionally relate to the material. It's funny, I love themes of religion even though I don't believe any of it...yet East of Eden may be my favourite book.
    Like Counter Culture Shock on Facebook

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    I am sure we agree more than you might realize. Semantics and our own interpretations of what the other is saying probably get in the way sometmes.
    What I said was 90% joking/teasing, of which 90% hinges on the irony of theory vs. practice between the primary labels we choose for ourselves. (You having identified as agnostic, and myself being a liberal protestant.) The serious 10% and the other 10% of the humor were both just as you say - sometimes interpretations get in the way regardless of the subject. Not that I really feel that agreement is necessarily even desirable in every case.

Expanding on the background to this topic, here's a blog entry that I mostly support, which turns more harsh than I think is necessary to a lesser extent than most do in my experience, and which, most importantly, references and links actual relevant data.
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/slackti...ifiable-proof/

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

Hey, Cyber - Was this thread helpful to you? I remember waiting for follow-up questions... then forgot about it. Not sure that what was discussed really addressed where you originally might have been coming from.

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, thanks it helped. Sorry I didn't respond.

My Collection

+ Reply to Thread