Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Facsimile Signatures-Yes or No?

Voters
67. You may not vote on this poll
  • I abhor facsimile signatures

50 74.63%
  • I would prefer a facsimile signature over no signature at all

17 25.37%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Facsimile Signatures In Limited Editions

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I couldn't care less if they have a facsimile signature. It adds no value. Kind of like the gold embossed signature on the hard cover of some of his books. I don't hate them, but don't prefer them over a non signature either. So neither selection is what I will pick.

Banned needfulthings is an unknown quantity at this point

Then again there are just a limited number of them & MILLIONS of the gold embossed ones.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by needfulthings View Post
    Then again there are just a limited number of them & MILLIONS of the gold embossed ones.
    I know, my point is that it is, in my opinion, not much different than decoration. No value. One mans opinion.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Barry doesn't seem to like PS much... Neither do i to be honest but like Alan said... Small press on another small press like that seems odd to me.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I couldn't care less if they have a facsimile signature. It adds no value. Kind of like the gold embossed signature on the hard cover of some of his books. I don't hate them, but don't prefer them over a non signature either. So neither selection is what I will pick.
    I do actually hate them, and will never own one.

IMO, not only does it not add value, it reduces value.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

“No matter how cynical you get, it is impossible to keep up” -Lily Tomlin
    Country
    Country Flag

I hate them too. They ruin a perfectly good book.
    "One day you're going to figure out that everything they taught you was a lie."

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

No, the facsimile signature won't bring value to a book but at the same time I wouldn't turn away a book that has artwork I like in it or an introduction by King that makes it exclusive to the edition. I like what these artist are doing with King's stories. JMO

Mulleins
    I'm the caretaker of Room 217..............I've always been the caretaker of Room 217

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by webstar1000 View Post
    Barry doesn't seem to like PS much... Neither do i to be honest but like Alan said... Small press on another small press like that seems odd to me.
    It seems lately that his newsletters have been anti PS. He ragged on their Bradbury Something Wicked this Way Comes last time.

Gunslinger Apprentice somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Barry Hoffman from Gauntlet Press published an interesting article today regarding facsimile signatures:
    http://hosted.verticalresponse.com/5...41/584f672cea/
    The PS Editions with Faxsimile signatures all sold out, making the small publisher lots of money to keep them in business.

Q. What is Gauntlet Press' beef? They should be supporting small publishers to the end of the earth. (We are all in this together.)
    I wondered that... that's 3 recent newsletters from Gauntlet that have directly attacked PS (the other two referred to the Ray Bradbury 'something wicked this way comes').
    Not very cool.....

Gunslinger Apprentice somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about somekindofstranger has a spectacular aura about

Country
    Country Flag

and personally, for me they add no value - but equally they don't put me off a book either.

In the case of the PS books for example, they are nice slipcased editions of these books at an affordable price, which look better and will last longer than other std copies.

Much like the CD editions, they may not be to everyones liking but that's the buyers choice and there is really no need for anyone to bitch about them!

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Facsimile Signatures In Limited Editions

The only thing that irritates me with facsimile signatures is when they are used as a marketing strategy to sell books. When you read lines like.. "Includes a facsimile signature." I mean, it's meaningless. It's just something printed on a page. It's like saying the book includes pages, you should buy it. The printed signature won't make me desire the book any more simply because it's there.

Not to go on all fours; that is the Law. Are we not Men?. T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47 people like to rub elbows with me T-Dogz_AK47's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    It seems lately that his newsletters have been anti PS. He ragged on their Bradbury Something Wicked this Way Comes last time.
    Have you got a link to that newsletter, I would very much like to read the comments he made?

"I'm working on my sense of humor" Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an seldom gets put on hold Br!an's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I PM'd you.

Si em, tow en can de lach jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92 is a splendid one to behold jsmcmullen92's Avatar

My Mood
    Busy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by T-Dogz_AK47 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jsmcmullen92 View Post
    Have you got a link to that newsletter, I would very much like to read the comments he made?
    Quote Originally Posted by Br!an View Post
    I PM'd you.
    I am assuming Brian hooked you up.If so thanks Brian, if not I can go rummage through my email and see what I can find.

Country
    Country Flag

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

What about fac-simile messages?

There are probably other books out there, but the first that comes to my mind is the french limied edition of THE GREEN MILE 1 : it includes a message by King to french readers + signature. The entiere thing is a fac simile, and there are about 300+ of those (300 numbered were given away in a contest, and there are some that are not numbered and were supposedly given away to some book stores or sales rep.

I agree that those would not be as interested as if it was an actual signature, but IMO it's better than a flatsigned fac simile (eg : REVIVAL UK fac simile edition).

Any opinion?

------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Those are just as bad if not worse.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

The ABA edition of the proof of Gerald's Game also has a full-page handwritten letter from King in it. Of course, it's a facsimile.

John

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

And how many times have we seen a seller trying to pass those off as legit inscriptions?
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    And how many times have we seen a seller trying to pass those off as legit inscriptions?
    More than a few buddy.... More than a few!
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I think it should be pointed out that ALL of the PS Anniversary Editions have REAL signatures on the limitation pages. You get several real signatures for very little money. The only facsimile signature is the Stephen King one which is on a different page.

Country
    Country Flag

I think it should be pointed out that ALL of the PS Anniversary Editions have REAL signatures on the limitation pages. You get several real signatures for very little money. The only facsimile signature is the Stephen King one which is on a different page.

Agreed.... still though.. they did not need to bother with the King sig
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Demon of the Prim TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi is a splendid one to behold TCCBodhi's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Agreed.... still though.. they did not need to bother with the King sig
    I agree that my preference would have been NO facsimile signature on the PS books. That said, they SHOULD continue using them for consistency's sake for the remainder of their Anniversary Series. ***I'm really looking forward to getting Skeleton Crew in. That slipcover is pretty awesomely designed!***
    WANTED
    US 1st Printings. I have THESE
    #92 IT Portfolio (or the #95 IT to swap for the #92 that I have)
    Any #95 SK-related Cemetery Dance Edition
    Any #7 PS Publishing Edition
    Sleeping Beauties: Signed Tour version.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by TCCBodhi View Post
    I'm really looking forward to getting Skeleton Crew in. That slipcover is pretty awesomely designed!***
    Its a great design. The skeletons are different all the way round.

Gunslinger Apprentice TrueNorth will become famous soon enough TrueNorth will become famous soon enough TrueNorth's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Put a facsimile signature in or don't. Makes no-never-mind to me.
    I started to collect the PS Anniversary Series and was up to the first 4. They seem like a nice bunch over there and it's a really attractive set, BUT I sold mine and passed my number on to the guy that bought mine.
    Two reasons why:
    1. CD shipped me Carrie traycase edition. First of the DoubleDay books. Farout book and I preferred it.
    2. I started thinking PS can do anniversary editions FOREVER and without end.

This seemed to be too much duplication for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast