Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions and Comments on our Catalogs

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

So completely omit any mention of them?

Currently DTII reads: "5 Lettered copies: A-Z, AA-II, 12 Publisher's, 40 Author's, 10 Artist copies, 850 numbered copies and an indeterminate number of presentation copies were produced."

New wording:12 Publisher's, 40 Author's, 10 Artist copies, 850 numbered copies and an indeterminate number of presentation copies were produced.

Thoughts?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Looks okay to me.

John

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Where did the verification of that specific figure of 12 Publishers, 40 Author's and 10 Artists come from?

Probably the same source that said there were Lettered copies.

Obviously, there are confirmed exampes of those (although I've never seen a "presentation" copy, just "Publishers," "Author's and "Artists") . But I think I would call them all an "Indeterminate number" until there is some sort of verifcation - which I doubt there will ever be.
    Last edited by Rahfa; 08-25-2009 at 09:14 AM. Reason: clarification

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    So completely omit any mention of them?

Currently DTII reads: "5 Lettered copies: A-Z, AA-II, 12 Publisher's, 40 Author's, 10 Artist copies, 850 numbered copies and an indeterminate number of presentation copies were produced."

New wording:12 Publisher's, 40 Author's, 10 Artist copies, 850 numbered copies and an indeterminate number of presentation copies were produced.

Thoughts?

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

OK Jerome. We spotted the deliberate mistake, only 5 lettered editions

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

It wasn't deliberate We still don't have any images or proof of a lettered DTII-DTVII.
    Rafha has a good point. I wonder if it's best to say "According to George Beahm....(list book(s) names:"
    35 Lettered copies: A-Z, AA-II, 12 Publisher's, 40 Author's, 10 Artist copies, 850 numbered copies and an indeterminate number of presentation copies were produced."
    These numbers have yet to be confirmed.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps do a combination of simply omitting the reference to the Lettered editions where appropriate as discussed above, then reference Beahm as needed on the other info (no need to reference him on the Numbered editions as we all have verification of that on our bookshelves).

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone seen an Artist, a PC, a Publisher, or an Author's copy of any of these?

Goldmember Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker people like to rub elbows with me Room 217 Caretaker's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused
    Country
    Country Flag

Has anyone seen an Artist, a PC, a Publisher, or an Author's copy of any of these?
    I've seen two different S/L publishers copies of Wastelands & WAG.

I even have picture proof if I can find it. I used to own them. I used them for a trade sometime ago.

Hope this helps.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post

I even have picture proof if I can find it. I used to own them. I used them for a trade sometime ago.

Hope this helps.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    I absolutely believe you, but a pic would be great.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

I'm too lazy to drag out my DT II "Author's Copy" to take a picture right now, but I can verify it exists...and I have seen a couple others for sale over the years.

As for "Artists" or "Publishers," I have memories of seeing them, although I guess I wouldn't stake absolute rock-solid confidence in it. I edited my original post above to clarify...

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

"Publisher's Copy" state exists for all seven of the DT books published by DMG. There are a few of us that have complete sets. As to the actual number of copies of each edition...that is less clear. DMG once stated in an interview that "about a dozen" copies were done of DT 1. Some sites have taken this to mean that exactly twelve "P/C" copies exist of DT 1. I am not sure if they are right in that assumption or not.

Regardless, "P/C" copies of DT 1 are the rarest in the series. I have never been sure exactly how many "P/C" copies of the other six books were done. I have been told at various times by people within DMG that "about 50" is the right number for each of the other six books. I'm not sure anyone knows the exact numbers for certain.

"Author's Copy" state exists for DT 2. I think that is the only one I have seen. I don't recall seeing stated "Author's Copy" for any of the other books.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

From Chris Cavalier's Collection:

Dark Tower Series - Donald M. Grant Limited Ed Complete matching PC set of Dark Tower Books I - VII Signed Fine

Drawing of the Three - Donald M. Grant 1987 Limited Ed #4 of 5 designated Artist's Copy in slipcase Signed Fine

Drawing of the Three - Donald M. Grant 1987 Limited Ed 1 of a handful designated "Author's Copy". Inscribed "For Kaybird, With admiration, respect, thanks and all my love". Steve King 6/14/87. To Kay McCauley, Kirby's sister. Inscribed Fine

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Sounds like "indeterminate number of Artist, Author, Presentation and Publisher copies"
    is the way to word it.

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree, Jerome. Thanks for the input, everyone.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I agree, too, although personally I like the idea of adding a disclaimer note that says something along the lines of 'there have been rumours about the existence of so-and-so many copies of such-and-such state, based on [ reference ] but this has not been confirmed'. I like this because it gives the books a more tangible quality of scarcity (if you know what I mean)...

Simply stating 'indeterminate' sounds like there may be many copies floating around and as a collector, I don't want large numbers of these books to exist

Servant of Gan e_taylor will become famous soon enough e_taylor's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mulleins View Post

Hope this helps.

Mulleins
    Cumberland VA
    I absolutely believe you, but a pic would be great.
    I don't think theres any doubt about the existence of PC copies, but heres photo evidence of II - VII + LSoE:

Kate / Batwoman turtlex is on a distinguished road turtlex's Avatar

My Mood
    Gay

Eric - impressive.
    The Man In Black Fled Across The Desert...

...And The Gunslinger Followed.

“I’m always on the Batman rule, sir.” - Kate Kane / Detective Comics 857

"It is the story, not he who tells it." Except to us collectors who have to put limits somewhere. - jhanic

Remember, Remember, The Fifth of November, The Gunpowder, Treason, and Plot.

Country
    Country Flag

As for numbers of PC copies made for each volume, heres what I have in my records:

DTI - 12 copies
    DTII - 20 copies
    DTIII - 30 copies
    DTIV - DTVII - 50 copies
    LSoE - can probably assume 50 copies

I remember discussing this before, but can't find the posts right now. I got those numbers from a reputable collector who said they got them from Robert. I think realistically, these are best guesses only. The actual number may be more and may be less, but will likely never be known. Perhaps something to the effect of, "Approximately __ number of PC copies produced, marked "Publisher's Copy"" would be worded best?

Country
    Country Flag

And now that I think about it, I don't think we should overlook the wording of the limitation pages either.

For instance, DTII reads: "This edition is limited to 850 copies of which 800 are for sale."

That means to me that we have 850 copies total, 800 of which are numbered 1 through 800 and then 50 copies divided between PC, Artist's and Author's copies.

This "Edition of X of which X are for sale" holds through to DTV, each time, there are 50 extra copies not for sale. DTVI, DTVII and LSoE are therefore crapshoots I guess.

So I think its safe to say that for DTII - DTV there are 50 copies outside the limitation divided between the different states (PC, Artist, Author). If no one here has seen proof of Artist/Author then I say they don't exist.

So for DTII I contend that there are 50 copies outside the limitation divided between PC, Artist and Author's copies.

I don't know about DTIII - input?

For DTIV and DTV I contend that there are 50 PC copies outside the limitations and no more.

For DTVI, DTVII and LSoE - hopefully they are recent enough that Karen can get Robert to give us an accurate number of out of series copies.

Thoughts??

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

That makes a lot of sense Eric!

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I agree, too, although personally I like the idea of adding a disclaimer note that says something along the lines of 'there have been rumours about the existence of so-and-so many copies of such-and-such state, based on [ reference ] but this has not been confirmed'. I like this because it gives the books a more tangible quality of scarcity (if you know what I mean)...

Simply stating 'indeterminate' sounds like there may be many copies floating around and as a collector, I don't want large numbers of these books to exist
    That's why I worded it "Indeterminate number (though thought to be only a handful) of Publisher's, Author's, Artist copies, and Presentation copies."

Quote Originally Posted by e_taylor View Post
    And now that I think about it, I don't think we should overlook the wording of the limitation pages either.

For instance, DTII reads: "This edition is limited to 850 copies of which 800 are for sale."

That means to me that we have 850 copies total, 800 of which are numbered 1 through 800 and then 50 copies divided between PC, Artist's and Author's copies.

This "Edition of X of which X are for sale" holds through to DTV, each time, there are 50 extra copies not for sale. DTVI, DTVII and LSoE are therefore crapshoots I guess.

So I think its safe to say that for DTII - DTV there are 50 copies outside the limitation divided between the different states (PC, Artist, Author). If no one here has seen proof of Artist/Author then I say they don't exist.

So for DTII I contend that there are 50 copies outside the limitation divided between PC, Artist and Author's copies.

I don't know about DTIII - input?

For DTIV and DTV I contend that there are 50 PC copies outside the limitations and no more.

For DTVI, DTVII and LSoE - hopefully they are recent enough that Karen can get Robert to give us an accurate number of out of series copies.

Thoughts??
    Excellent points. I think you are onto something.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Dark Tower S/L numerical Clarification

This thread will be merged into the Collecting Questions thread after sufficient discussion.

Per Karen at Donald M. Grant Books the last 50 limitation numbers of Dark Tower books V-VII (she has personal knowledge having worked there) were un-numbered and used to replace damaged books as well as provide PC's.
    Robert did not keep specific records regarding exact count of PC's AE's, etc.

I presume this to mean that there would be no more than 50 cumulative copies of PC's, AE's, AC's... for certainly the last three books and likely all but the first.

Thanks to e taylor for posting the theory.

Thoughts?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I guess I'm a little confused by your/Karen's statement--when the last 50 limitation numbers are left blank (to be used as replacements, etc.) does this mean that, for DT V, DT VI and DTVII, there are only 1250 numbered copies of the first two and 1450 of the last one? Or are all 1300 copies of the first two and 1500 copies of the last numbered?

John

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by jhanic View Post
    I guess I'm a little confused by your/Karen's statement--when the last 50 limitation numbers are left blank (to be used as replacements, etc.) does this mean that, for DT V, DT VI and DTVII, there are only 1250 numbered copies of the first two and 1450 of the last one? Or are all 1300 copies of the first two and 1500 copies of the last numbered?

John
    The way the limitation pages are worded I think we can assume:

DTII - 1-800 numbered, +50 additional copies (PC, Author, Artist, etc) 850 signed/limited copies total
    DTIII - 1-1200 numbered, +50 additional copies (PC, Author, Artist, etc) 1250 signed/limited copies total
    DTIV - 1-1200 numbered, +50 additional copies (PC, replacements, etc) 1250 signed/limited copies total
    DTV - 1-1300 numbered, +50 additional copies (PC, replacements, etc) 1350 signed/limited copies total

Although not mentioned on the limitation, from what Karen has added, we can discern:

DTVI - 1-1400 numbered, +50 additional copies (PC, replacements, etc) 1450 signed/limited copies total
    DTVII - 1-1500 numbered, +50 additional copies (PC, replacements, etc) 1550 signed/limited copies total
    LSoE - 1-1250 numbered, +50 additional copies (PC, replacements, etc) 1300 signed/limited copies total

We know that the 50 extra copies of DTII were split somehow between Publisher's Copies, Author's Copies, and Artist's Copies.

Not sure on DTIII. Anyone?

I think that by the publication of DTIV, Grant only made Publisher's Copies of the extra 50, still divided between publisher, author and artist, just not specifically designated as such.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17 18 19 27 ... LastLast