Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Short Story Battle Royale: Bracket One, Round One

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Default ROUND OVER! Short Story Battle Royale: Bracket One, Round One

128 short stories, one winner! Choose your favorite short story in each of the battles below. The winners will advance until we have one winner per bracket. There are four brackets. Those bracket winners will then face off against each other. The short story in each of the battles that gets five votes first wins, that's when voting for that battle will end. You can vote in all, some, or none of the battles, it's up to you. Have fun!

Bracket One, Round One

BATTLE OVER! 1. "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band" (3) vs. "In the Tall Grass" (5)

BATTLE OVER! 2. "Suffer the Little Children" (5) vs. "The Reach" (2)

BATTLE OVER! 3. "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands" (5) vs. "Home Delivery" (0)

BATTLE OVER! 4. "The Monkey" (5) vs. "Trucks" (1)

BATTLE OVER! 5. "Never Look Behind You" (3) vs. "A Face in the Crowd" (5)

BATTLE OVER! 6. "The Man in the Black Suit" (5) vs. "The Cursed Expedition" (0)

BATTLE OVER! 7. "The Road Virus Heads North" (5) vs. "Sorry, Right Number" (0)

BATTLE OVER! 8. "Morality" (3) vs. "Before the Play" (5)

BATTLE OVER! 9. "Umney's Last Case" (5) vs. "Mile 81" (2)

BATTLE OVER! 10. "Willa" (2) vs. "Crouch End” (5)

BATTLE OVER! 11. "The Blue Air Compressor" (4) vs. "L. T.'s Theory of Pets" (5)

BATTLE OVER! 12. "The Glass Floor" (3) vs. "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut" (5)

BATTLE OVER! 13. "Autopsy Room Four" (4) vs. "I Know What You Need" (5)

BATTLE OVER! 14. "Skybar" (0) vs. "The Lawnmower Man" (5)

BATTLE OVER! 15. "Sneakers" (2) vs. "One for the Road" (5)

BATTLE OVER! 16. "Man with a Belly" (2) vs. "The Death of Jack Hamilton" (5)

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

My picks:

1. "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band"
    2. "Suffer the Little Children"
    3. "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands"
    4. "The Monkey"
    5. "A Face in the Crowd"
    6. "The Man in the Black Suit"
    7. "The Road Virus Heads North"
    8. "Morality"
    9. NONE
    10. "Willa"
    11. NONE
    12. "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut"
    13. "Autopsy Room Four"
    14. "The Lawnmower Man"
    15. "One for the Road"
    16. "The Death of Jack Hamilton"

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

1. "In the Tall Grass"
    2. "The Reach"
    4. "Trucks"
    5. "A Face in the Crowd"
    8. "Before the Play"
    9. "Mile 81"
    10. "Crouch End”
    11. "L. T.'s Theory of Pets"
    13. "I Know What You Need"
    14. "The Lawnmower Man"
    15. "One for the Road"

I don't think "Never Look Behind You" and "The Cursed Expedition' are available to the casual reader/collector, are they?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Oops, seems like I have a lot of reading to do NOW. Haven't read: "In the Tall Grass"; "Never Look Behind You"; "A Face in the Crowd"; "The Cursed Expedition"; "Morality"; "Before the Play"; "Mile 81"; "The Blue Air Compressor"; "The Glass Floor"; "Skybar"; "Man with a Belly".

Voted:

4. "The Monkey"

10. "Crouch End”

15. "Sneakers"

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Stories from "People, Places, and Things", and incomplete items like "Skybar" should not be included.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My pick = bold

Bracket One, Round One

1. "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band" vs. "In the Tall Grass" (no vote: never heard of "In the Tall Grass"; not in any collection I have)

2. "Suffer the Little Children" vs. "The Reach" (obvious choice; I did not care for "The Reach" much at all)

3. "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands" vs. "Home Delivery" (I liked "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands" quite a bit; only have vague memory of "Home Delivery"; will re-read this weekend and see if my vote changes)

4. "The Monkey" vs. "Trucks" (liked "Trucks" but loved "The Monkey")

5. "Never Look Behind You" vs. "A Face in the Crowd" (not familiar with either of these)

6. "The Man in the Black Suit" vs. "The Cursed Expedition" (a cheat on my part; I've never heard of "The Cursed Expedition" but "The Man in the Black Suit" gets 4 stars [my highest rating] so it automatically wins)

7. "The Road Virus Heads North" vs. "Sorry, Right Number" (I liked "The Road Virus Heads North" quite a bit; only have vague memory of "Sorry, Right Number"; will re-read this weekend and see if my vote changes)

8. "Morality" vs. "Before the Play" (sigh, no vote)

9. "Umney's Last Case" vs. "Mile 81" (can re-read "Umney's Last Case" this weekend, but "Mile 81" is not in any collection I have [and I thought I had them all])

10. "Willa" vs. "Crouch End" (Lovecraftian overtones win out!)

11. "The Blue Air Compressor" vs. "L. T.'s Theory of Pets" (a cheat on my part; I've never heard of "The Blue Air Compressor" but "L. T.'s Theory of Pets" gets 4 stars [my highest rating] so it automatically wins)

12. "The Glass Floor" vs. "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut" (well, "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut" is a 3-star story so it might win, but "The Glass Floor" is yet another story not on my bookshelf")

13. "Autopsy Room Four" vs. "I Know What You Need" (clear winner)

14. "Skybar" vs. "The Lawnmower Man" (no vote: never heard of "Skybar"; not in any collection I have, and "The Lawnmower Man" was cute but essentially meh)

15. "Sneakers" vs. "One for the Road" (hmmmm, both of these were 2-star stories; I guess I'll go with "One for the Road")

16. "Man with a Belly" vs. "The Death of Jack Hamilton" (a cheat on my part; I've never heard of "Man with a Belly" but "The Death of Jack Hamilton" gets 4 stars so it automatically wins)

This could be fun, but here's a complaint. I own and have read:

Night Shift
    Skeleton Crew
    Everything's Eventual
    Six Stories
    Full Dark, No Stars
    Hearts in Atlantis
    Just After Sunset
    Nightmares and Dreamscapes

...and yet you've pulled more than 10 stories from god knows where to add to the contest. Really?

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I have just downloaded tons of King I haven't read before (although I too have all the traditional collections). I can send anyone the .epub or .mobi (I have already converted for Kindle) files.

Shannon: how much time do we have? I want to play (bears always do), but I want to finish The Terror before I read all these stories. It won't take me more than a few days (both Simmons and King, I mean), but maybe other people or animals would like to do some reading too before we go on to the next round?

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post

Bracket One, Round One

1. "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band" vs. "In the Tall Grass"

2. "Suffer the Little Children" vs. "The Reach"

3. "The Man Who Would Not Shake Hands" vs. "Home Delivery"

4. "The Monkey" vs. "Trucks"

5. "Never Look Behind You" vs. "A Face in the Crowd"

6. "The Man in the Black Suit" vs. "The Cursed Expedition"

7. "The Road Virus Heads North" vs. "Sorry, Right Number"

8. "Morality" vs. "Before the Play"

9. "Umney's Last Case" vs. "Mile 81"

10. "Willa" vs. "Crouch End"

11. "The Blue Air Compressor" vs. "L. T.'s Theory of Pets"

12. "The Glass Floor" vs. "Mrs. Todd's Shortcut"

13. "Autopsy Room Four" vs. "I Know What You Need"

14. "Skybar" vs. "The Lawnmower Man"

15. "Sneakers" vs. "One for the Road"

16. "Man with a Belly" vs. "The Death of Jack Hamilton"
    Bolded my votes above. I had always wanted to do this with King's short fiction as part of our sorta-annual Constant Reader Awards but could never figure out the best format. I just hope Nona wins. Hands down the best short story.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Maybe this should be moved to the CRA forum and the winner be officially recognized as the Constant Reader Award winner for Best Short Story?

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Stories from "People, Places, and Things", and incomplete items like "Skybar" should not be included.
    Why not?
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

1. "You Know They Got a Hell of a Band"

4. "The Monkey"

5. "Never Look Behind You"

7. "Sorry, Right Number"

8. "Morality"

9. "Umney's Last Case"

10."Crouch End”

11. "The Blue Air Compressor"

14. "The Lawnmower Man"

15. "One for the Road"

16. "Man with a Belly"

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Country
    Country Flag

There are many uncollected short stories published by King, dive. Check here to see the full list of all of King's short fiction and where (or if) it was collected: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen...n_bibliography

Country
    Country Flag

Shannon, I hope you'll be tracking the votes for each story overall. As a stats geek I'd love to see the complete votes each story received at the end.

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    There are many uncollected short stories published by King, dive. Check here to see the full list of all of King's short fiction and where (or if) it was collected: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen...n_bibliography
    I understand that. My concern is accessibility and ease of playing the game / participating in the contest. Pulling a book off my bookshelf is one thing, but clicking around the internet and printing off stories here and there is another.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie Downer. This could be a lot of fun! I'm looking forward to further rounds--I just hope more stories are ones in the collections--that's all.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm sure most members here are hardcore enough to have read most if not all of the uncollected stories.

Honky Mahfah Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone is a splendid one to behold Stockerlone's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

1. " "In the Tall Grass"

3. "Home Delivery"

4. "The Monkey"

5. "Never Look Behind You"

8. "Before the Play"

9. "Umney's Last Case"

10. "Crouch End”

11. "L. T.'s Theory of Pets"

12. "The Glass Floor"

13. "Autopsy Room Four"

14. "The Lawnmower Man"

15.. "One for the Road"

16 "The Death of Jack Hamilton"

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

My Choices are as follows:

Bracket One, Round One

1. "In the Tall Grass"

2. "The Reach"

3. "Home Delivery"

4. "Trucks"

5. ???

8. "Before the Play"

9. "Mile 81"

10. "Willa"

12. "The Glass Floor"

14. ?????

15. "One for the Road"

DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Bob, on #s 5 and 14 is the issue that you haven't read them or can't pick?

If you rescue me

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I only found 129 short stories by King. So, in order to have an even bracket, it was either going to be 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, or 128 stories battling it out. The battles end when one of the stories has five votes. I will count them up now and see if any have won so far.

Country
    Country Flag

What was the 129th that you left out? The Furnace?

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    Why not?
    Skybar is not a story. it's only a paragraph.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmm ... I don't remember. I took out all the poems and novellas ... But it's all good. If we have some unknown or lost or non-stories, they just won't advance, lol.

Also, starting Bracket Two soon, I figure we can have multiple brackets going at the same time, no worries.

Updated results at the top.

One of The Few The Proud CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA has much to be proud of CRinVA's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    Bob, on #s 5 and 14 is the issue that you haven't read them or can't pick?
    havent read one or the other

even ones that could go either way as long as i read them i made a choice.
    DT Spoiler - Enter at your own risk!

Spoiler:
    I can’t remember if I cried
    When I read about Eddie’s widowed bride,
    And something touched me deep inside
    The day the bumbler died.”

Click CAN' Ka No Rey for the entire poem, published in Lighthouse VI!

Country
    Country Flag

Some short stories are really novellas or technically novelettes. No biggie.

Country
    Country Flag

Have just read more stories, can vote on these:

12. "The Glass Floor"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast