Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: New King essay "Guns" available as Kindle Single

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Default New King essay "Guns" available as Kindle Single

King has written an essay discussing his thoughts on the gun control/gun rights issue facing the U.S., available now as a Kindle Single through Amazon.com.

“I think the issue of an America awash in guns is one every citizen has to think about,” said King. “If this helps provoke constructive debate, I’ve done my job. Once I finished writing ‘Guns’ I wanted it published quickly, and Kindle Singles provided an excellent fit.”

From Amazon: In a pulls-no-punches essay intended to provoke rational discussion, Stephen King sets down his thoughts about gun violence in America. Anger and grief in the wake of the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School are palpable in this urgent piece of writing, but no less remarkable are King’s keen thoughtfulness and composure as he explores the contours of the gun-control issue and constructs his argument for what can and should be done.

READ THE AMAZON PRESS RELEASE | ORDER GUNS ON AMAZON.COM

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Just got it for the Kindle on my iPad. Not a short article, but a longish essay with about ten mini-chapters. Wonder if he'll collect this one like "Head Down", another non-fiction piece.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

"... and Kindle Singles provided an excellent fit."

Hmmm, endorsement much?

Gunslinger Apprentice you ever seen a ghost? is on a distinguished road

anyone able to "crack" the file or send it to me so that i can do the same?

my wife has a Kindle Fire and i have Kindle on my smartphone, but i'd like to print this out for my files.

thanks!

-justin

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

"...any money from the essay will go to one of the charities to benefit victims of gun violence. "

Citizen of Gilead jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g is just really nice jon10g's Avatar

Thanks Bev.
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    "...any money from the essay will go to one of the charities to benefit victims of gun violence. "
    did i say i was going to steal it? it's only a dollar. like i said, we have a Kindle in the household and i have the app on my phone, but i want to be able to print it too.

That wasn't a response to you. That was something Ms. Mod posted on the SKMB after people complained that King was apparently profiting from these shootings.

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I might be mistaken, but I think Mr. Vincent was just adding extra info to the thread. ... Maybe! lol

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Jinx!

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    "... and Kindle Singles provided an excellent fit."

Hmmm, endorsement much?
    Oh man, did you read UR?

I'll read the article sometime this weekend. I hope it sees print in a magazine.

That wasn't a response to you. That was something Ms. Mod posted on the SKMB after people complained that King was apparently profiting from these shootings.
    my apologies. it looked like a direct response!

eta: anyone willing to e-mail me the file and i'll take a crack at it and e-mail you a printable version if you want?

-justin

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

My first thought, having only read a short bit so far

Spoiler:
    King mentions that Adam Lanza carried a Glock 10 which he says is so large it is used to kill polar bears. Unless I am missing something, the 10mm is actually about the same size as a .45. Yes it is larger than a 9mm or 40ACP, but I certainly wouldn't expect it to kill a polar bear. Not a big deal, just an observation. As a gun enthusiast, but not a anti gun control guy, I will have more observations, I'm sure.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Spoiler:
    King mentions that Adam Lanza carried a Glock 10 which he says is so large it is used to kill polar bears. Unless I am missing something, the 10mm is actually about the same size as a .45. Yes it is larger than a 9mm or 40ACP, but I certainly wouldn't expect it to kill a polar bear. Not a big deal, just an observation. As a gun enthusiast, but not a anti gun control guy, I will have more observations, I'm sure.
    Anyone who has read King's stories knows he isn't exactly an expert on guns. LOL This doesn't invalidate or even minimalize his opinion. It's just how it is.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post

Spoiler:
    Anyone who has read King's stories knows he isn't exactly an expert on guns. LOL This doesn't invalidate or even minimalize his opinion. It's just how it is.
    I understand and was not in any way inflamed by it, just an observation. The article is not bad. I agree with some/most of his points. Without this being a gun thread, let's just say that, as always, King wrote an excellent article that makes you think.

If you have Amazon Prime, you can "rent" the article for free, but I could not figure out how to do that, so I accidentally bought it for $.99. Still, as Bev pointed out, the money goes towards victims of gun violence so not a loss.

Denmark's Arctic Assets and Canada's Response – Sovereignty and Strategic Resources of the High Arctic

The choice of a Sirius Patrol pistol was also determined by concerns about encounters with aggressive polar bears. Most Danish units use 9mm automatics like the CF but the Sirius Patrol learned through hard experience that 9mms had insufficient 'stopping power' to deal with angry adult polar bears. As a result, Sirius Patrol members carry a more powerful 10mm pistols for self-defence, employing the 10mm Glock 20 automatic.

Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Bev, I'm not arguing that you can't or shouldn't use a 10mm, just that it isn't the massive gun that is portrayed. Personally, If I were to be required to shoot a polar bear, which I wouldn't do unless my life depended on it, I would have a large caliber rifle. I don't think the 10mm would drop a polar bear, even if you shot it directly in the heart.

Again, sorry. I really am not trying to argue any gun agenda.

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I don't think the 10mm would drop a polar bear, even if you shot it directly in the heart.
    Oh, it might. You'd have just been mostly digested by the time it dropped him. LOL
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, good cause. Says so right here: http://www.stephenking.com/promo/guns/

Country
    Country Flag

Clueless news organizations run with 17-year old news that King pulled "Rage" from sale:

http://ktla.com/2013/01/25/stephen-k...m-bookshelves/
    http://www.wcvb.com/news/local/bosto...n/-/index.html
    http://www.ibtimes.com/stephen-king-...ooters-1039912

The 25-page essay, published as part of Amazon’s Kindle Singles collection, includes possible solutions to the mass shooting epidemic that’s plagued the nation, but also announces King’s decision to remove his first novel from bookshelves.

Country
    Country Flag

They read the parts they wanted to read. The article states that he requested it not be published, but that was a long time ago.

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks Bev, I'm not arguing that you can't or shouldn't use a 10mm, just that it isn't the massive gun that is portrayed. Personally, If I were to be required to shoot a polar bear, which I wouldn't do unless my life depended on it, I would have a large caliber rifle. I don't think the 10mm would drop a polar bear, even if you shot it directly in the heart.

Again, sorry. I really am not trying to argue any gun agenda.
    why not argue... I'm sure King is arguing his viewpoint....
    I've chosen not to support King's anti-gun views.
    and I have a glock .45 and I sure as hell wouldn't take on a polar bear with it...

the Return of CRAZY DOG! Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute Sir_Boomme has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by pablo View Post
    Yes, good cause. Says so right here: http://www.stephenking.com/promo/guns/
    gotta LOVE this Stephen king site page though...

especially this part:

" ORDER GUNS ON AMAZON.COM
    (All profits will benefit the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence)"

so... I'm headed over to amazon to see if there are any good deals on assault rifles. I'm always ready to help out a good cause.

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

... If I were to be required to shoot a polar bear, which I wouldn't do unless my life depended on it. ...
    That's good. Nothing too "culture of violence" about so well-defined a hypothesis.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast