Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 182 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast

Thread: PS Publishing - Stephen King Anniversary Editions

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Pet Sematary font is fuggly. The artwork is really good though.

Gunslinger herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest has a reputation beyond repute herbertwest's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really dont like that cover...
    ------------------------------------------------
    CLUB STEPHEN KING (french website about STEPHEN KING, since 1992) : on : Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
    ------------------------------------------------

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    God why the crap font? why?? It could be sooo much better with a different font
    Why does every amateur bitch about the font.
    I challenge you to produce a better look.

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Why does someone who dislikes the font have to be challenged to come up with something better?

That post indicates if you can't publish a better book, you have no right to an opinion....

Rearrange Me Til I'm Sane Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny is a splendid one to behold Bad Penny's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Several someones forget their meds this morning?
    We all float down here!

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Jimimck View Post
    Why does someone who dislikes the font have to be challenged to come up with something better?

That post indicates if you can't publish a better book, you have no right to an opinion....
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one.
    A person doesn't have to write/publish a better novel to provide their opinion, but as an example, simply saying "Doctor Sleep, why the crap story?" doesn't say much.
    Perhaps provide images of your favorite/least favorite King book fonts, and say why you liked/disliked them.

Gunslinger Apprentice Rainet is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Nevermind Pet Sematary for just a moment. What's going on with Christine? I am probably one of the few that truly loves the cover art and font. Very 80's retro style. For some reason, it reminds me of the movie Drive. I know it was suppose to out last April. I've already paid for it months ago. And it's one of my most eager awaited book this year. But the rate it's going with (printer issues I think), Pet Sematary will be out before Christine. Lol.

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I suppose we are in for a parade of these type editions for years to come, as the respective "Anniversaries" come up. Not really sure how I feel about this trend, but man am I glad I have the 1/1's!!! BTW, it is not so much that they are re-printing them, but that they are, apparently, just going to do this type thing for EVERY King title. I buy LOTR anniversary editions from time to time, but it is, argumentatively, one of the top ten novels of all time. I don't think I would consider every King title a member of the "Top Ten" list even though I am a huge fan. Anyone know what I mean?

Just musing I suppose.
    Yeah I kind of feel the same way. There are only a handful of King titles that I would hold out for a limited at this point. It and The Shining were the big ones for me.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlin1958 View Post
    I suppose we are in for a parade of these type editions for years to come, as the respective "Anniversaries" come up. Not really sure how I feel about this trend, but man am I glad I have the 1/1's!!! BTW, it is not so much that they are re-printing them, but that they are, apparently, just going to do this type thing for EVERY King title. I buy LOTR anniversary editions from time to time, but it is, argumentatively, one of the top ten novels of all time. I don't think I would consider every King title a member of the "Top Ten" list even though I am a huge fan. Anyone know what I mean?

Just musing I suppose.
    Yeah I kind of feel the same way. There are only a handful of King titles that I would hold out for a limited at this point. It and The Shining were the big ones for me.
    I would suppose there are a few others that qualify, though none off the top of my head, but I would tend to agree. A lot of the more "significant" titles have already received the "royal/limited" treatment. The one that does come to mind is, perhaps, a reprint of TDT in two (three?) volumes (much as LOTR was re-printed in one) as a S/L for newer collectors. Perhaps, in later years, the same for "The Shining/Dr. Sleep".

Just "off the cuff" thinking is all.

P.S. while a fan of the book, that art and titling is not exactly making me "want" to buy it FWIW. Then again, I already have the 1/1 and perhaps I do not qualify to render an opinion in this case. I may be jaded. Human nature and all.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Gunslinger Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy seldom gets put on hold Tommy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    God why the crap font? why?? It could be sooo much better with a different font
    Why does every amateur bitch about the font.
    I challenge you to produce a better look.
    Actually that is the only font this amateur has ever bitched about and as to why, because it is not good, I haven't heard one single person compliment that font, even the artist does not seem to be to keen on it, If I am to pay $100 for a book, of course some will say just don't buy it, I would like for it to not have ugly fonts, I have learned my lesson though, thanks for the smack down RF

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I didn't intend for you to feel "smacked down". I just was hoping you might explain why you you disliked it, or provide an example of a better font.

Gunslinger Apprentice dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec has a brilliant future dnemec's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Rainet View Post
    Nevermind Pet Sematary for just a moment. What's going on with Christine? I am probably one of the few that truly loves the cover art and font. Very 80's retro style. For some reason, it reminds me of the movie Drive. I know it was suppose to out last April. I've already paid for it months ago. And it's one of my most eager awaited book this year. But the rate it's going with (printer issues I think), Pet Sematary will be out before Christine. Lol.
    PS email yesterday said Christine will be shipping next week. Of course it was supposed to have shipped this week. I'll believe it when it arrives.

Oz the Gweat and Tewwible mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae seldom gets put on hold mae's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Examples would be innumerable, because I agree, the font and the cover altogether is not very good (even if the art itself may be fine). Browsing books on Amazon's top lists I'm not seeing any cover with a similarly grungy font and amateur look. Here's a somewhat grungy-looking font, and yet the cover looks fine:

I can actually see Pet Sematary using a cover similar to this one in layout and feel (I don't know why there must be weird grungy fonts if it's a so-called horror novel, as in the limited Pet Sematary and Doctor Sleep):

In fact, look at King's own covers with Scribner (and pretty much all of his covers with Viking and Doubleday et al). They all look fine. They all use legible professional-looking fonts and layouts.

My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Well presented description. Thanks.

For comparisons sake:

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yeah I'm not a fan of the font as well. It's just cheap looking IMO like something from a vanity press.

I kind of feel the same about the fonts on CD's Dr. Sleep books.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I like the fact that the fonts print my name. On the cover. Of a Stephen King book!

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

Looks a bit like PEP SEMATARY. Sometimes less is more, and I think application of that principle would have helped the cover immensely.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    I like the fact that the fonts print my name. On the cover. Of a Stephen King book!
    ...and in a decent font.

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

What's the group consensus on these volumes, r.e. short- and long-term resale value post-publication? Gain, lose, or hold steady?

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

LOSE VALUE. NO Reason i can see that it would even sell out. Many here already expressed disinterest in the books. There is nothing special about the books EXCEPT THE AFTERWARD BY THE NOW FAMOUS BEV VINCENT. Just no reason for them. Of course i bought two copies just in case i am wrong. There is a sucker born every minute -just to be clear- that sucker is me.

President-Matt Fisher Fan Club Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute Roseannebarr has a reputation beyond repute

My Mood
    Asleep

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    LOSE VALUE. NO Reason i can see that it would even sell out. Many here already expressed disinterest in the books. There is nothing special about the books EXCEPT THE AFTERWARD BY THE NOW FAMOUS BEV VINCENT. Just no reason for them. Of course i bought two copies just in case i am wrong. There is a sucker born every minute -just to be clear- that sucker is me.
    I even buy limited 700 copies of SK books with a facsimile signature. Why? WHY? Why?

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

I agree that they will probably drop in value after publication. I did not order either one; I'm planning on picking them up on the secondary market when they drop in price.

John

Country
    Country Flag

I bought Christine because of the artwork. I think most people who buy these already have the regular edition. To me it's all about the artwork. Part of the reason I also bought Christine, (and I may be in the minority). I was never crazy about the regular edition artwork. Really love the story and I have not over read it like some of the other classics. Since it will become my primary reading copy, it won't be a investment money wise, but just for my own enjoyment.
    That's why I think people are very critical of the artwork and fonts. Because most already own these books. They need a wow factor to woo them in for these. Christine sold me, Pet Semetary did not. This is all just my opinion of course.

I suppose that's why I'm questioning it as well. Aside from other expensive books calling my name or already on order (hence a need to trim expenses), I already have Fine/Fine UK HC 1sts of each of them, and up 'til now I've been perfectly satisfied with them as the representative shelf-filler for that title-- different from the standard US 1st and dj art that's fairly nice. When I first saw these, my kneejerk reaction was to snag a copy of each as an upgrade. But as time has gone on (and other books crowd my budget) I'm having serious second thoughts. Yes, they would be an upgrade, but are they worth $200 to do so? I suppose if I thought they'd sell out and double in value instantly, that'd be one thing -- even though I've never before bought because of prospective resale value since I rarely sell books -- but if they don't even have that feature going for them, then...I don't know. It gives me serious pause.

The forthcoming CARRIE and THINNER seem, for me, to be a much clearer choice, since I don't have collectible/nice editions of either. These two, though...it feels like a different ballgame. I think.

Country
    Country Flag

Now I would love to see Cemetary Dance do a limited edition of Misery in the same manner IT was handled. That's one of my all time favorite books!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 182 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 21 61 111 ... LastLast