Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 112 of 182 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 110 111 112 113 114 122 162 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 4536

Thread: PS Publishing - Stephen King Anniversary Editions

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by zelig View Post
    Be kind to us Pete.
    Well.....Pete just called (!) and from what I gather, he will be very kind to us. After Skeleton Crew and 'Salem's Lot there are plans for quite a few more anniversary editions.
    If these will all be lettered, signed-by-King, as well.....

Anyways, I'm happy with finally having made the purchase and can't wait for the book to arrive.
    Hope the lettered Skeleton Crew will be a couple of months away...

sk

Rabid Billybumbler Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli is a glorious beacon of light Theli's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    OUT OF PRINT

sk
    Congratulations Siep. Beautiful book, artwork, cover and yummy smell. If you continue the series prepare to be broke. Skeleton Crew, 'Salem's Lot and was Night Shift mentioned at one point for future release by PS? I expect 'Salem's will not be cheap if the Lettered is also split into three novellas.

PLEA to PETE at PS PUBLISHING!!! Please keep the prices similar to Thinner on ALL future editions. I work two jobs and can't afford another "Carrie" priced edition!!!! Feel free to spread them out a little too! I am in no hurry to spend 1/4 of my salary on SK signed limiteds this year. I work two jobs just to support my habit and keep the debtor police off my doorstep!

Or less. Even though Thinner was priced below Carrie, it was still priced high. A successful deal to me is when both parties walk away from it happy. Slapping thousands of dollars on credit cards isn't something that should make you happy. Maybe I'm alone in this opinion. Be kind to us Pete.
    I think you both nailed it. The prices are nearly extortionate for collectors.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Theli View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Roseannebarr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    OUT OF PRINT

sk
    Congratulations Siep. Beautiful book, artwork, cover and yummy smell. If you continue the series prepare to be broke. Skeleton Crew, 'Salem's Lot and was Night Shift mentioned at one point for future release by PS? I expect 'Salem's will not be cheap if the Lettered is also split into three novellas.

PLEA to PETE at PS PUBLISHING!!! Please keep the prices similar to Thinner on ALL future editions. I work two jobs and can't afford another "Carrie" priced edition!!!! Feel free to spread them out a little too! I am in no hurry to spend 1/4 of my salary on SK signed limiteds this year. I work two jobs just to support my habit and keep the debtor police off my doorstep!

Or less. Even though Thinner was priced below Carrie, it was still priced high. A successful deal to me is when both parties walk away from it happy. Slapping thousands of dollars on credit cards isn't something that should make you happy. Maybe I'm alone in this opinion. Be kind to us Pete.
    I think you both nailed it. The prices are nearly extortionate for collectors.
    I wonder if King has knowledge of the asking price for these....
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I'm fairly sure King knows exactly what he gives his permission for. Based on what I've read about his involvement in the business aspect of his job.

And as an aside -I know I've said it before but I really don't see the difference between CD and PS lettered editions when it comes to pricing... never mind 'production values', none of those books is made of stuff that's actually worth $2500 or $5000 or whatever. It's all about exclusivity and at least the PS books have a 'true' lettered print run of 26 copies instead of the artificial 52 copies and innumerable PC copies of CD.

I don't believe these prices are extortionate - these books are produced for people who are willing to pay for them so in that sense they're priced exactly right. You and me may shake our heads in disbelief at the idea of spending such an amount of money but I'm sure Pete and Brian and their satisfied customers don't care (and they shouldn't!).

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by biomieg View Post
    I'm fairly sure King knows exactly what he gives his permission for. Based on what I've read about his involvement in the business aspect of his job.

And as an aside -I know I've said it before but I really don't see the difference between CD and PS lettered editions when it comes to pricing... never mind 'production values', none of those books is made of stuff that's actually worth $2500 or $5000 or whatever. It's all about exclusivity and at least the PS books have a 'true' lettered print run of 26 copies instead of the artificial 52 copies and innumerable PC copies of CD.

I don't believe these prices are extortionate - these books are produced for people who are willing to pay for them so in that sense they're priced exactly right. You and me may shake our heads in disbelief at the idea of spending such an amount of money but I'm sure Pete and Brian and their satisfied customers don't care (and they shouldn't!).
    Pretty much what I feel about it too.

Good post, Michaël.

Honky Mahfah biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future biomieg has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

I don't mean to insult anyone, by the way. Just a man's opinion.

(Alan, Julian really adores his 'Nessie' - that turned out to be a great gift, thanks again! I'll send you some pics soon).

Manni Folken The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman people like to rub elbows with me The Library Policeman's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Glad to hear it, Michaël and it was my pleasure!

Guardian of the Beam peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral has much to be proud of peripheral's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by The Library Policeman View Post

Pretty much what I feel about it too.

Good post, Michaël.
    I agree. And as a collector with the "Collector Sickness" , I do have a rare moment of rational thought where I think, "I paid THAT for I book I'm too scared to touch, let alone READ". All these poor Lettered Editions, with unread words inside of them.

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Agreed.

Pete is apparently just the first publisher smart enough to cut out the secondary market flippers and keep that income for himself.
    Imagine yourself as the publisher.
    You sell a lettered edition at $1200 and the day your customer receives it, it's on eBay selling for $5k.
    Cleary you weren't charging enough.

That's not true for all authors, but I'm sure King also gets paid more for a limited too.
    Mark Twain

Great Old One zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig seldom gets put on hold zelig's Avatar

My Mood
    Inspired
    Country
    Country Flag

I respectfully disagree. And say what you will, it doesn't take away from the fact that IMO they are overpriced.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Got my grab bag with the Joe Hill The Fireman preview. A lot of new authors for me and a large selection of books. I'm happy with it.

Gunslinger Apprentice mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger has a spectacular aura about mkberger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Got my grab bag with the Joe Hill The Fireman preview. A lot of new authors for me and a large selection of books. I'm happy with it.
    Still waiting on mine; hoping that they arrive tomorrow!

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

I respectfully disagree. And say what you will, it doesn't take away from the fact that IMO they are overpriced.
    Couldn't agree more - and honestly scoogs most lettereds sell for very little over issue price with some exceptions obviously.

Gunslinger Apprentice MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG's Avatar

Received my Grab Bag with The Fireman preview. Only odrered it for the preview as most PS books hold little interest for me but I am happy with what I got. A couple that I will keep and add to my to be read pile. Most will be headed to Powell's for trade. Overall very good value for what I paid.

Country
    Country Flag

I sure agree that these books are absurdly expensive (which, in all honesty, is true for every book > $200 IMO). But they can only be considered 'overpriced' if the premise is that every collector should get an equal shot at obtaining them - and I don't think that is the publisher's intention (nor should it be). Expensive books, yes, but not from the perspective of the target audience.

It sure is a very interesting discussion.

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Interesting indeed.
    What I would really like to know is how much it costs the Publisher to put together these limited editions. Pete was talking about this on the Phone yesterday, but I did not think it was my place to ask further questions about this. Of course PS (in this case) can only survive by making a profit. And no one forced me to buy the Thinner lettered. Still, I'm curious as to the profit margin that was made.

Also, I'm part of the intended target audience, and I find these lettered editions very, very expensive. Doesn't keep me from buying though..

sk

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    Couldn't agree more - and honestly scoogs most lettereds sell for very little over issue price with some exceptions obviously.
    No worries, I don't expect everyone to agree. That would be boring.

I know most other author's barely hold issue price, which is why I've only bought 3 or 4 from other authors over the years. I'm talking King specifically since he is one of the few to command such high premiums.

Hypothetically, if you're willing to pay $5000 on the secondary market, you should be willing to pay the same at issue. The publisher is under zero obligation to make their books an investment opportunity to you. That's a point that I know some will definitely disagree with of course, but these are not stocks.
    The publishers, along with King are the ones doing all of the work, so I don't fault them for maximizing their profit. (I've flipped plenty of books and freely admit that it's VERY easy and requires minimal effort at best for the money.)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I will buy them at those prices, but they have every right to ask them and test the limits of the market.

All things being equal, we've all been paying jacked up pricing for regular King S/Ls for a long time when compared to other authors from the same publishers(I know King costs the publisher more). This is really just an evolution of that being applied to the most high end portion of our hobby. All S/Ls are luxury items, lettered editions are simply the top tier of artificial rarities.
    Mark Twain

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

If either of you PS grab bag gentlemen have a Gene Wolfe S/L you don't know what to do with, I'll gladly buy it off you if we could come to a mutually beneficial agreement.

Live it. webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000 is loved more than Jesus webstar1000's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    I gotta agree with you both. I have paid more than issue for a lettered. BUT only one... Regulators.

EDIT: AND, I would gladly pay it again for Regulators... cause THAT book brings something to the table. These thus far have not IMO have not to justify the price. Hence our conversations here on the matter.
    HELP ME FIND
    Insomnia #459
    ANY S/L #459

Gunslinger Apprentice MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG is a jewel in the rough MLG's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    If either of you PS grab bag gentlemen have a Gene Wolfe S/L you don't know what to do with, I'll gladly buy it off you if we could come to a mutually beneficial agreement.
    Sorry but I did not get a Gene Wolfe book in my Grab Bag.

Demon of the Prim Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan is a name known to all Dan's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by WeDealInLead View Post
    I received an unnumbered signed limited of Home Fires. It is limited to 300 copies, but mine is missing the number. I have never read or owned any book of his other than a contribution in an anthology.

Gunslinger Apprentice Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Not sure if there is a better thread.... But any word on a Joe Hill The Fireman limited edition? I thought I heard Ps publishing was doing one... Any idea if this will be pre or post the trade hardcover? When may we see a pre-order page?

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis2347 View Post
    Not sure if there is a better thread.... But any word on a Joe Hill The Fireman limited edition? I thought I heard Ps publishing was doing one... Any idea if this will be pre or post the trade hardcover? When may we see a pre-order page?
    In the Preview copies of The Fireman from Gollancz the PS edition is advertised with these details:
    Coming out three months after the Gollancz's trade version, the PS version will come in two status thus:
    * 500 copies in an illustrated slipcase and signed by the author,
    * 26 oversized lettered copies housed in a deluxe traycase signed by both Joe Hill and artist David Stoupakis.
    September 2016

Gunslinger Apprentice Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347 has a spectacular aura about Anubis2347's Avatar

My Mood
    Dead
    Country
    Country Flag

Awesome. Thank you.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by MLG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anubis2347 View Post
    In the Preview copies of The Fireman that Gollancz The PS edition is advertised with these details:
    Coming out three months after the Gollancz's trade version, the PS version will come in two status thus:
    * 500 copies in an illustrated slipcase and signed by the author,
    * 26 oversized lettered copies housed in a deluxe traycase signed by both Joe Hill and artist David Stoupakis.
    September 2016
    So, no unsigned edition? Joe's sig is getting too expensive for me these days.
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 112 of 182 FirstFirst ... 12 62 102 110 111 112 113 114 122 162 ... LastLast