Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 Movie Thread

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Default 2013 Movie Thread

I guess it's time to start making our lists for the new year. Hopefully everyone gets to see some good movies this year!

2010 List

2011 List

2012 List

2013 List:

Underworld: Awakening*
    Brave
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Escape from New York
    Berberian Sound Studio
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

1. The Piano Teacher

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

1. The Hobbit (rewatch)
    2. Skyfall

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (rewatch)
    2. Django Unchained
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Goldmember Melike will become famous soon enough Melike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    1. The Piano Teacher
    Did you like it?

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

2010 List

2011 List

2012 List

2013 List:

Underworld: Awakening*
    Brave
    Reservoir Dogs
    Parental Guidance
    Looper
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

1. The Piano Teacher
    2. Django Unchained

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

2013 List

1. Looper

Ricky, how did you like it?
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

Country
    Country Flag

I was actually pleasantly suprised. I had avoided seeing it when it came out because the trailers made it look confusing and it just didn't look interesting to me (as much as I love the concept of time travel). But I thought it was really well done. It managed to avoid being a "hunt" movie with future Joe chasing present Joe, and had a lot more emotion than I thought it would. One of the few things that I didn't like was that it seemed like it was one film one minute, and after the intro. to the idea of the Rainmaker, turned into something else. I was fine with that, but thought that the transition and meshing of the two "plots", I guess, could've been done a little better.

And if
    Spoiler:
    Young Joe is told to kill Future Joe and does, when Young Joe grows up into Future Joe, won't he need to be killed by Young Joe? And it's a loop?

What did you think?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

I wasn't really a fan. It didn't interest me when it came out but thought I'd give it a chance after quite a few people here recommended it.

Spoiler:
    Cid wasn't Joe was he? I got a little confused at the end. Was the train a parallel to his life showing him that he had to end things? And if Young Joe kills himself, future Joe ceases to exist. Therefore ending the loop, no?

Country
    Country Flag

Spoiler:
    No, Cid was just Cid. We're led to believe that he would've grown up to be the Rainmaker if Joe hadn't killed himself. And since he does kill himself, I would think that the loop ends, yeah.

And I don't remember a train. Was there one?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

I'm really keen to check out Looper. Being a fan of Joseph Gordon-Levitt and time travel movies I had planned to check it out myself at the cinema last year, but I just didn't find the time. It's out over here on blu ray in a couple of weeks, so I'm eager to check it out.

- Melike

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    Spoiler:
    No, Cid was just Cid. We're led to believe that he would've grown up to be the Rainmaker if Joe hadn't killed himself. And since he does kill himself, I would think that the loop ends, yeah.

And I don't remember a train. Was there one?
    Spoiler:
    There was a quick shot of Cid on a train, and that's how Johnny said that he was found, all alone on a train. Which for an instant made me think they were the same. Then my boyfriend mentioned that he would have had sex with his mom, and I figured that nixed that idea

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDodge View Post
    I'm really keen to check out Looper. Being a fan of Joseph Gordon-Levitt and time travel movies I had planned to check it out myself at the cinema last year, but I just didn't find the time. It's out over here on blu ray in a couple of weeks, so I'm eager to check it out.
    Watch it. As a lover of high concept sci-fi I'm sure it will be right up your alley.

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Looper is a time travel movie but it doesn't try to get hung up on the ins and outs of time travel. There are even a few scenes that kind of wink at the camera and imply that the viewer shouldn't get hung up on loopholes and paradoxes.

To me, Looper is a character study piece. It's about a person setting the record straight and making decisions that could change the future. Looper asks the hypothetical question of if you could talk to your younger self, what kind of advice would you give him? In return, it also asks the question of if you could talk to you older self, would you be happy with the person you have become?

It's a slick film.
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

Those who cling to life; Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant has a reputation beyond repute Still Servant's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

2010 List
    2011 List

2012 List

War Horse
    The Invisible War
    Django Unchained
    Seeking a Friend for the End of the World
    Killer Joe
    Ted
    Your Sister's Sister
    Beasts of the Southern Wild
    Grosse Pointe Blank
    Check out my website: PopCulturedwithMovieMike
    Add me on Letterboxd: https://www.letterboxd.com/MovieMike80/

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    Looper is a time travel movie but it doesn't try to get hung up on the ins and outs of time travel. There are even a few scenes that kind of wink at the camera and imply that the viewer shouldn't get hung up on loopholes and paradoxes.

To me, Looper is a character study piece. It's about a person setting the record straight and making decisions that could change the future. Looper asks the hypothetical question of if you could talk to your younger self, what kind of advice would you give him? In return, it also asks the question of if you could talk to you older self, would you be happy with the person you have become?

It's a slick film.
    Now that's what I really like to hear. It's not so much the timey-wimeyness of time travel that interests me, it's the drama and how it can affect someone. It's why Life on Mars is my all-time favourite show that has nothing to do with my childhood or nostalgia - it's a 16 ep character study of what a single person goes through when he finds himself out of time.

Like I said, definitely eager to check it out.

- Melike

My Mood
    Yeehaw

1. Escape from New York
    2. Berberian Sound Studio
    3. Withnail & I (rewatch)
    4. Dredd (rewatch)

- Melike

Death is Only a Door Emily will become famous soon enough Emily will become famous soon enough Emily's Avatar

My Mood
    Confused
    Country
    Country Flag

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (rewatch)
    2. Django Unchained
    3. Inglorious Basterds (rewatch)
    4. Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 (rewatch)
    5. Spellbound
    6. Looper

I wasn't crazy about Looper. I love time travel and generally will enjoy anything about it, but Looper fell short a bit for me. I kept finding myself totally uninterested and glancing at my phone, and for some reason a lot of Willis's scenes made me cringe.
    I had my infatuations, but we both know in our hearts who is the sole love of my short, bright life.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Heather19 View Post
    Spoiler:
    There was a quick shot of Cid on a train, and that's how Johnny said that he was found, all alone on a train. Which for an instant made me think they were the same. Then my boyfriend mentioned that he would have had sex with his mom, and I figured that nixed that idea
    Ah! Now I remember!

Spoiler:
    Yeah, I think being found all alone on the train was what would have happened, but that possible future was nixed by Joe killing himself and keeping his future self from going after Cid and his mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Still Servant View Post
    To me, Looper is a character study piece. It's about a person setting the record straight and making decisions that could change the future.

It's a slick film.
    I agree. I have a hard time ignoring some of the "science" of time travel, though (and wished there would've been more of that), especially if you subscribe to the theory that you cannot meet yourself. I know the technicalities aren't the focus here, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    for some reason a lot of Willis's scenes made me cringe.
    I actually didn't mind him in the movie. Maybe because he was used sparingly?
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Quote Originally Posted by Emily View Post
    I wasn't crazy about Looper. I love time travel and generally will enjoy anything about it, but Looper fell short a bit for me. I kept finding myself totally uninterested and glancing at my phone, and for some reason a lot of Willis's scenes made me cringe.
    Glad I'm not the only one who didn't enjoy it. And I completely agree about Willis's scenes.

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Melike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    1. The Piano Teacher
    Did you like it?

Bears would like to know, too. They totally hated every moment.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Perhaps love is not the right word, I'm not sure you can really claim to love a film like this ... but yes, it fascinated me deeply, as do all of his films. He's slowly but steadily crept his way into my all time favorites list, possibly top 5. His no holds barred approach to film making always has me coming back for more.

Constant Reader Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts has a spectacular aura about Darkthoughts's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

My Week With Marilyn
    Les Miserables

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast