Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it really good?

Traveler Cass will become famous soon enough

Default Is it really good?

Hey guys, I've just finished Wizard and Glass and I must say... the beggining was ok, the last two chapters and the ending are awesome but WHAT THE HELL IS THAT TEEN LOVE STORY! I mean, it's okay, I also was very curious about who was Susan Delgado but there had been no action at all for like 400 or 500 pages... no shooting, no risky situation (the only one was at the Traveller's Rest) and it was all about hiding their love and having sex everytime they had.

What happened to The Gunslinger's action! Tull, Waystation, Mountains, The Man In Black running and laughing!

My question is... does Wolves of the Calla offer action and a story that moves around and isn't only one town coming and going without even drawing a gun for hundred of pages? If it doesn't I don't know what to do... I'm really looking foward to the final book where I suppose you get to know what the dark tower really is and the whole thing with the crimson king and walter.

Thaaaaaaaanks!

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Hi Cass. A lot of people don't like Wizard and Glass for various reasons. I personally really enjoy the look into Roland's early age. Granted, there isn't THAT much action in the Mejis section, but I feel the events lead into a deeper knowledge of Mid-World.

John

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

answering the title question: yes, Wolves is really, really good. WaG is my least favorite of the seven volumes (except, just like it is the case with you, the beginning and the end - well, and some parts in the middle, but not very many; it all is discussed in the appropriate threads), while Wolves is my favorite ever.

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

In most polls (I've seen) Wizard and Glass ends up #1.
    It's also my favorite, in spite of the love story.
    Correction - I think it's because of this heartbreaking interlude/flashback.
    It's King at his best.

sk

Army of the 12 Monkeys pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle is a glorious beacon of light pathoftheturtle's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed
    Country
    Country Flag

"Is it really good? " is not necessarily the same question as "Does it offer action and a story that moves around?" When it comes to books, "good" is definitely a matter of opinion. SK obviously aged and I'm sure he read an enormous number of works by other writers between tWL and W&G. I think he wanted TDT to encompass all manner of literary genres. But you have to admit, that's a difficult goal.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Without spoiling too much the story takes place largely in the same location, but there is ample action and intrigue, and another more interesting IMHO back story. Get to the reading of it and don't dally!!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Salvation Comes w/ a Cost OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO has a spectacular aura about OchrisO's Avatar

Like Jean, Wolves is my favorite of the series. It has quite a lot of action and one big, awesome battle. It does take place largely in one town, though.
    There's one hole in every revolution, large or small. And it's one word long.. people. No matter how big the idea they all stand under, people are small and weak and cheap and frightened. It's people that kill every revolution.

Traveler Cass will become famous soon enough

Yes, I know that the title I put was not completely appropriate for the topic of the thread but I think that with the example I gave all of you guys got it. Thank you and I'll check out what Wolves Of The Calla has for me!

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes, Wolves of the Calla is good. But what do I know? I thought that "middle part" of Wizard and Glass was absolutely terrific. Some of King's best storytelling there.

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by divemaster View Post
    Yes, Wolves of the Calla is good. But what do I know? I thought that "middle part" of Wizard and Glass was absolutely terrific. Some of King's best storytelling there.
    I enjoyed it as well (W&G), my second and subsequent readings of it. The first time I was much too anxious to get to the end of the story and it lost its charm to me. Bad move that one!! TWTTKH reminds me of W&G in that respect very much. I really enjoyed TWTTKH as well.
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Maerlyn's Imp sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999 is just really nice sgc1999's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Im sure almost everyone will disagree but TWTTKH was one of my favorites, if not the smoothest DT related book to read for me.. I love that it wasnt overly bloated and told a fun story.

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by sgc1999 View Post
    Im sure almost everyone will disagree but TWTTKH was one of my favorites, if not the smoothest DT related book to read for me.. I love that it wasnt overly bloated and told a fun story.
    I'M with ya, my RBR buddy!!! LOL LOL LOL
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Citizen of Gilead Empath of the White is on a distinguished road Empath of the White's Avatar

Wolves is a great book; it introduced some of my favorite aspects of the Dark Tower mythos. You might want to read Salems Lot first. I also enjoyed TWTTK; it was dense with more Mid-World lore and the inner tale had a great villain.

Traveler bogmonkey is on a distinguished road

Funny, Wizard and Glass is my favorite of the whole series, and is actually my favorite book of all time. I realize that I am not in the majority.
    I even know a couple Beam heads that skip W&G when they re-read the series!

Wolves of the Calla is a great book IMO. I love the lore and side-stories! I also love the "spaghetti western" theme...You become immersed in Roland's ka-tet and I think this book really deepens the relationship the reader has with each member of the group (making the next two books more powerful). W&G was about a ka-tet handling a bad situation in a western town, just like WOTC - but this is a whole new ka-tet!

+ Reply to Thread