Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free

View Poll Results: Was Mordred born evil?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, he was born totally evil.

30 45.45%
  • No, he wasn't. He was evil but there was good in him, too.

31 46.97%
  • No, he wasn't. He was born good.

2 3.03%
  • I can't vote because...

3 4.55%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Mordred - and his complex personality

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Default The Chap

Letti:

First I couldn't handle Mordred character but page by page I loved (the character) more and more. It was so complex... and interesting.
    How he loved and hates Roland at the same time... how powerful and fragile he was.

**obviously story ending spoilers in thread**

There has been a lot of talk about spider boy, what he was for and what he wasn't.

I have read a lot of opinions on him from "weak as hell" to "super baddy written very well"

What is your official opinion about the child king that wasn't?

This thread has been merged by ~maerlyn
    Last edited by sarah; 05-09-2008 at 07:51 AM. Reason: merge
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I always thought he was a little bit pointless. But, I'm not a deep thinker or anything and I tend to think of things at face value. He got rid of Randall Flagg (supposedly), so I guess that was his purpose? I don't know.
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I wondered that myself, if it was just going to be hard for SK to bring Flagg and Roland to the same place again and needed an arch baddy to finish him off.

I tend to agree though. This baby thing carried through the books from #3, always on everyones mind and then there was a bit of an anti climax.

It was one of the plot points I was really interested in for years.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

I wasn't a big fan of Mordred, but I kind of felt sorry for him to. I think part of his appeal is that, no matter how rotten and nasty you think he is, you keep getting these glimpses of how he's always an outsider, like if someone just was nice to him he might not be so evil.

But yeah, I don't think he was necessary to the story.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

The Decoy Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah has a spectacular aura about Hannah's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Poor Mordred. So lost. So alone.

(I hated him. Stupid little Chap.)
    A true firewasp ninja would never wear such a ridiculous sweater.

There's logic in nonsense.

Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Daghain View Post
    I wasn't a big fan of Mordred, but I kind of felt sorry for him to. I think part of his appeal is that, no matter how rotten and nasty you think he is, you keep getting these glimpses of how he's always an outsider, like if someone just was nice to him he might not be so evil.

But yeah, I don't think he was necessary to the story.
    Its weird because no matter how much I hated him, or thought he was a wimp, I did feel sorry for him being outside the katet.

If that is the reaction King wanted, he totally got me.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, that whole scene where he's listening in on them and lamenting the fact that he's always on the outside. That did it.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I think mordred was another element in the whole father-son theme King has running through the series with Roland, and because of this was supposed to be a more effective weapon against the gunslinger than anything purely material. And if you think about it, he was the most dangerous adversary as he
    Spoiler:
    dispatched Flagg effortlessly and killed off Oy aswell. The chapters where he becomes a potential threat and is hunting whats left of the ka-tet in my opinion was when the entire quest was on very dangerous ground.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmm, makes you wonder if King was trying to contrast Roland's biological son with his adopted son in some way.

*slips off to read Freud*

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The series is full of polarity - Detta and Odetta, White and Red, Mordred and Jake, the roont twin and their healthy counterpart in WotC.
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Gunslinger Apprentice VolsToTheWall is on a distinguished road VolsToTheWall's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

^^Not a Mordred fan, but then again, one of the things I just got over and accepted. Kinda hard to please everyone all the time, even the junkies like myself, or maybe even harder to please I should say.

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

The series is full of polarity - Detta and Odetta, White and Red, Mordred and Jake, the roont twin and their healthy counterpart in WotC.
    A very good point!

Architect Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany is a splendid one to behold Bethany's Avatar

My Mood
    Angelic

To me Mordred reeked of soap opera drama. You know, two characters do something they're not supposed to, a PREGNANCY occurs and all kinds of drama revolves around the PREGNANCY. Then the writers are stuck with a baby, an unfortunate side effect of pregnancy, and having to deal with a new character is now where near as fun or exciting.
    People love frozen yogurt. I don't know what to tell you.

The White! MonteGss is on a distinguished road MonteGss's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I never had any problem with Mordred. He was a punk-ass (like Jonas ) and a good "evil" character for the book. Obviously, Flagg and his twinners were much better characters but I thought the Little Spider-Punk was alright.

Citizen of Gilead She-Oy is on a distinguished road She-Oy's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by bethany View Post
    To me Mordred reeked of soap opera drama. You know, two characters do something they're not supposed to, a PREGNANCY occurs and all kinds of drama revolves around the PREGNANCY. Then the writers are stuck with a baby, an unfortunate side effect of pregnancy, and having to deal with a new character is now where near as fun or exciting.
    Gawww, yes. I can totally see Marlena giving birth to the mutant kid or some such on Days of Our Lives.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Well, I think I'm awesome!!! Just shoulda' been smarter than my daddy of the white!

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

the new Mr. Amy Pond! Mordred Deschain is on a distinguished road Mordred Deschain's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

Oh, and stop calling me "the chap"! That was soooooo pre-birth!!

The Tardis (Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space) duh!

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Hungary (till I move to Fatu Hiva with Brice)
    Country
    Country Flag

Default Mordred - and his complex personality

First I couldn't handle Mordred character but page by page I loved (the character) more and more. It was so complex... and interesting.
    How he loved and hates Roland at the same time... how powerful and fragile he was.

Roland would have understood.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I hated Mordred. Probably the worst character in the entire Dark Tower series, and I would argue King's entire canon as well.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

damned and saved Letti will become famous soon enough Letti will become famous soon enough Letti's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

And do you hate him so much because of the thing he had done to Flagg?

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

As I said in the other thread, in my view, because of his unique parentage, Mordred was born evil, but not entirely evil. Becuase the CK is a much more powerful being than Roland, the evil side of Mordred was stronger, and guided much of his brief existence. I do think he was capable of love in some sense of the word, but the part of him that was fueled by hatred was significantly stronger.

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Letti View Post
    And do you hate him so much because of the thing he had done to Flagg?
    That's part of it, (a large part probably) but I don't think its the sole reason. After all, I liked Eddie a lot and I didn't hate Pimli for killing him. In fact, Finli and Pimli were probably the best out of all the characters introduced in 5-7.

But there was nothing in my mind to like about Mordred. He was just poorly written with the writer's intentions clearly stamped all over his face.

The idea of the new character gaining credibility by knocking off a pre-existing one is just so cliched and pathetic it makes my stomach heave. I've seen it done before a couple of times in television and comics, but King is the first one who actually did it in an adult novel that I read, so kudos to him for that.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Hmmmm...personally, I believe Roland could have turned Mordred to the white if he would have talked to him a bit.

Seemed to me the character struggled with his "destiny" throughout his short life. I'll never forgive him for what he did to Oy though.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Hmmmm...personally, I believe Roland could have turned Mordred to the white if he would have talked to him a bit.
    A bit???

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast