49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fine no problem with rubbing

14 28.57%
  • Damaged due to rubbing/ink transfer

35 71.43%
Page 86 of 117 FirstFirst ... 36 76 84 85 86 87 88 96 ... LastLast
Results 2,126 to 2,150 of 2918

Thread: The Shining S/L from Subterranean Press

Maerlyn's Imp tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4 has a reputation beyond repute tippy4's Avatar

My Mood
    Hot
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by JXE View Post
    I see there are a lot of media mail fans here, but I'm still convinced that the 4 days my book spent in an infinite loop through the same sort facility certainly didn't help things. If the paper gets rubbed by the book rubbing around inside the case without protection, my book had 4 extra days to rub around in there. If it were shipped by UPS or a more expensive service, there's no denying it wouldn't have arrived days after the estimated delivery date like it ultimately did.
    You assume the book is in a constant state of motion while in transit, and I find that unlikely. What is more likely is that it is spending a lot of time at rest between movements.

I still believe there should have been an opportunity for others who don't like it to be able to pay more to have it shipped differently. That's exactly what I requested after I placed my order, and I was told media mail was the only thing possible. When I buy valuable books from other companies, I have the opportunity to pay a bit more for UPS or a faster USPS service and it makes me a lot more comfortable as a buyer. If I'm paying $450 for a book, I'll gladly pay another $30-40 to overnight it.
    I can't disagree with you there. I offer Priority Mail on my ebay auctions, (even though 99% of my buyers choose Media) because I know there are folks out there who want their item sooner, and are willing to pay twice as much to ship it. SubPress is probably a very small operation (one or two people), and probably want a "one size fits all" method on shipping. It would have been very little extra work I would assume to offer their buyers an option. As far as paying $40 to overnight a book, you are in the minority there.

Finally, in response to the comment about insurance being useless... I've only had one claim in the past 15 years of buying and selling, and I received a check in the mail within 2 weeks containing the full insured value of the item (it was a print).
    I think you just proved my point that insurance is a waste of money (in the long run). It's great that you got a check within two weeks.....but in the fifteen years you have been buying, how much money did you spend on insurance?.....my guess is significantly more then you received from your claim check.

What is going to happen if there are cases where these uninsured books are never delivered to customers? What is going to happen if these uninsured books get delivered to the wrong address and never make it to the buyer's hands? At this point they're 14 months too late for a chargeback; and while I'm not going to put words into SP's mouth... many sellers would look at the delivery confirmation "proof" and tell the buyer they're out of luck.
    One would assume that SubPress will replace any lost or damaged copies, or issue a refund. I don't think they buyers would be "out of luck" in this scenario....SubPress would.

The books have no dust jacket or any other protective packaging materials inside of the traycase and the paper is being scratched off of the books because they're rubbing against the rough interior of the traycases as they roll across the country. The books are actually staining the traycases where the rubbing occurs the most. How is their packaging that is damaging the books not considered "poor packaging"?
    Based on what I have seen here, this issue is more of a manufacturing defect as opposed to poor packaging. This is an unusual situation, and I would hope that SubPress would immediately add a layer between the book and case on the unshipped copies to prevent this damage, as they have been made aware of these complaints.

Finally...I know you are new here, and I apologize if I am coming across as unwelcoming. But in the end, this appears to be design or manufacturing issue, and not a shipping issue.
    FOR SALE OR TRADE

Dark Tower 7 Artist Edition n/a
    The Waste Lands 1st Edition in Shrinkwrap $200
    1984 Grant Gift Edition of The Talisman $400
    Lisey's Story ARC $50

WANTED
    Signed 1st Edition of Storm of The Century (Paperback)

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Based on what I have seen here, this issue is more of a manufacturing defect as opposed to poor packaging. This is an unusual situation, and I would hope that SubPress would immediately add a layer between the book and case on the unshipped copies to prevent this damage, as they have been made aware of these complaints.

Finally...I know you are new here, and I apologize if I am coming across as unwelcoming. But in the end, this appears to be design or manufacturing issue, and not a shipping issue.
    What he said. Its even possible the unshipped ones have the same damage just from in-house handling.
    reality continues to ruin my life

Citizen of Gilead mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about mistercrowley has a spectacular aura about

My Mood
    Devilish

I'm hoping since I ordered my copy through Camelot Books that their order ships last from Sub Press as dealers normally do and as such are protected from this known issue

Traveler JXE is on a distinguished road

Quote Originally Posted by tippy4 View Post
    Finally...I know you are new here, and I apologize if I am coming across as unwelcoming.
    Not at all! This is a terrible situation, so naturally everyone's going to have their own opinions about what went wrong at this point, especially without any official statement other than them contemplating offering refunds. Check out my pictures in the other thread and you'll see why I'm grasping at any other possible scenario that would have ended up with me getting a book in new condition.

Gunslinger Apprentice mcdonaldj will become famous soon enough mcdonaldj's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

In addition to the rubbing and stained case, just got the following message from my wife:

"there is a illustrated intro page that has something stuck - i took a picture of it - it looks like there is something sticky between the pages, i didn't want to pull them apart."

Crappy overseas internet will not let me download the pics, but thought folks should know to check this too.

After the long wait and not being able to physically see the book - this really sucks.

Gunslinger Apprentice subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega will become famous soon enough subie09lega's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I pulled mine out just to check to make sure mine wasn't too bad, which it isn't but after looking it over and then flipping through the pages I noticed this. Does anyone else have blue fingers after holding theirs? Probably should have gloves on but they'd probably be blue, too.

Which then transfers to the pages:

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

oh boy...

Gunslinger Apprentice mcdonaldj will become famous soon enough mcdonaldj's Avatar

My Mood
    Amused

I was initially surprised there was such a high % of issues in the poll.

Then I realized people are far more likely to comment with problems than if everything is perfect. Kind of like if you have bad food at a restaurant - you complain.

The blue fingers post has me concerned with some long term durability issues.

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrowley View Post
    I'm hoping since I ordered my copy through Camelot Books that their order ships last from Sub Press as dealers normally do and as such are protected from this known issue
    me2
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Two Gunslingers Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis has much to be proud of Lookwhoitis's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

very interested to see how this problem is going to be fixed
    Wanted
    CD Carrie Portfolio 719
    Dark Tower S/N LE's 171 or 203
    ANY Stephen King S/N LE #171 or 719

A Storm of Swords #218 or 346
    Ancillary Justice #455
    American Gods (+ SC Reader copy) #624

Michael Whelan original art
    DT VII: Michael Whelan Remarque

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by mcdonaldj View Post

Then I realized people are far more likely to comment with problems than if everything is perfect. Kind of like if you have bad food at a restaurant - you complain.

The issue with that view is the only complaints we will see are people who are on here. And people who actually open the books.

And I disagree with the food analogy - everyone who receives limiteds on here usually posts awesome comments on how much they like it when they receive it.

My Mood
    Inspired

I will just put this out here but I don't think refunds are going to be a good remedy (IMO) seeing as most of us are collectors, got specific numbers, etc.

Traveler JXE is on a distinguished road

I would like to see some nice pictures of what it's supposed to look like from those who have reported no issues at all.

Along the Path of the Beam subpress is a jewel in the rough subpress is a jewel in the rough subpress is a jewel in the rough

Hi all,

We decided not to wait until Monday to address The Shining issues. I'm fresh off the phone with various members of my staff, and here is what we have to offer, in addition to our apologies that our edition didn't come together as well as planned.

The largest problem with the books is not related to the traycases directly, though it's undeniable that some color transfer is occurring. The books are what is known as a three-piece case, with one material used for the spine, and the hand-marbled paper covering the rest of the boards. The bulk of the scuffing occurred during the manufacturing process, not in our packing and handling of the books, or while being shipped. In case anyone is wondering, we have used hand marbled paper in the past, without issue, though the prior times were limited to hand bound lettered editions.

The bad news is that I do not have a solution to offer you for the books themselves. The scuffing is endemic, including my personal copies. If this is a deal breaker for you, I completely understand, and will refund what you paid for the book and shipping (both to receive the book and return it).

Everyone who chooses to keep their copy will receive:
    1. A replacement traycase upon receipt of proof that yours suffered from more than minimal color transfer;
    2. A dust jacket created especially for the limited edition;
    3. A coupon code good for $40 off any purchase later this year through the SubPress website.

I apologize that the remedies I'm offering do not extend to the physical books themselves. There is no way to recall every copy, have them cut up, and then rebound.

Those who wish to take advantage of our offer may write to me at subpress@gmail.com. Please also do so if you would prefer a refund.

I understand some of you may not be happy with the refund or remedy offered. Again, I would appreciate if folks would remain courteous in emailing me.

Best,

Bill
    SubPress

My Mood
    Amused

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post

The issue with that view is the only complaints we will see are people who are on here. And people who actually open the books.

And I disagree with the food analogy - everyone who receives limiteds on here usually posts awesome comments on how much they like it when they receive it.
    Title of the poll is: "Rubbing Damage To S/L The Shining" not did you love your book.

My Mood
    Amused

Bill,

In light of the circumstances, I do not see how you could offer anything more generous than the above. I will have to think it over though.

Thanks for both the timely response and for stepping up here.

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by subpress View Post
    Hi all,

We decided not to wait until Monday to address The Shining issues. I'm fresh off the phone with various members of my staff, and here is what we have to offer, in addition to our apologies that our edition didn't come together as well as planned.

The largest problem with the books is not related to the traycases directly, though it's undeniable that some color transfer is occurring. The books are what is known as a three-piece case, with one material used for the spine, and the hand-marbled paper covering the rest of the boards. The bulk of the scuffing occurred during the manufacturing process, not in our packing and handling of the books, or while being shipped. In case anyone is wondering, we have used hand marbled paper in the past, without issue, though the prior times were limited to hand bound lettered editions.

The bad news is that I do not have a solution to offer you for the books themselves. The scuffing is endemic, including my personal copies. If this is a deal breaker for you, I completely understand, and will refund what you paid for the book and shipping (both to receive the book and return it).

Everyone who chooses to keep their copy will receive:
    1. A replacement traycase upon receipt of proof that yours suffered from more than minimal color transfer;
    2. A dust jacket created especially for the limited edition;
    3. A coupon code good for $40 off any purchase later this year through the SubPress website.

I apologize that the remedies I'm offering do not extend to the physical books themselves. There is no way to recall every copy, have them cut up, and then rebound.

Those who wish to take advantage of our offer may write to me at subpress@gmail.com. Please also do so if you would prefer a refund.

I understand some of you may not be happy with the refund or remedy offered. Again, I would appreciate if folks would remain courteous in emailing me.

Best,

Bill
    SubPress
    Hi Bill,

My only question is that, do you think the marbling will rub off more on the DJ?

Hannibal CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Didn't get the L/E but I'd be happy with the dustjacket/traycase/coupon combo if I had.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Bill, that's a more than fair solution. I haven't gotten my copy yet (it's due Tuesday) but if it's as bad as some of the ones I've read about, I'll be taking you up on your offer.

John

Roont jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic has a brilliant future jhanic's Avatar

My Mood
    Tired
    Country
    Country Flag

Duplicate post (as mcdonaldj pointed out). :-)

John

My Mood
    Amused

Deja Vu John

Deja Vu John

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

I agree that this would seem to be the best solution given that so many are damaged.
    Im curious though, and hope you dont take this the wrong way Bill, but from your post it sounds like you were aware of the issue before the books were shipped out because you state the damage is a result of manufacturing and not shipping?
    If the damage occurred during manufacturing then couldnt you have had the manufacturer fix the problem before they were shipped out to the customers?

Bill,

In light of the circumstances, I do not see how you could offer anything more generous than the above. I will have to think it over though.

reality continues to ruin my life

Gunslinger Apprentice chaos-consultants will become famous soon enough chaos-consultants's Avatar

Was the deluxe editions also published oversees? Were they done by a reliable printer that has done books for them before? Just curious as I know the gift was printed in China and therefore mass produced with a glossy material which would be less resistant to these "manufacturing" problems. I have had to get refunds twice from VistaPrint. I think this is going to be an ongoing issue as book publishers look to minimize their costs. No?

Gunslinger Apprentice richardsrarebooks will become famous soon enough

Default rubbing to s/l The Shining

Yes, after reading the comments, I do have (vertical) rubbing to the front and rear covers. And also the (blue like?) staining to both sides of the tray case. I had the book (with the remarque) up for sale on ebay and have ended the auction. There was alot of interest in the book and I'm stuck with the ebay fees. I have emailed Bill Schaeffer but have not received a response, yet. I hope at the very least I can get a refund. At best I hope to receive a PC copy and a refund for the remarque which I'm sure would not be included. Thanks for letting me vent.

Along the Path of the Beam subpress is a jewel in the rough subpress is a jewel in the rough subpress is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    I agree that this would seem to be the best solution given that so many are damaged.
    Im curious though, and hope you dont take this the wrong way Bill, but from your post it sounds like you were aware of the issue before the books were shipped out because you state the damage is a result of manufacturing and not shipping?
    If the damage occurred during manufacturing then couldnt you have had the manufacturer fix the problem before they were shipped out to the customers?

Bill,

No offense taken. This is a good question. While folks in the wider world are just seeing this book, for me it's been done for some months, as I first saw a sample copy from our printer, then a traycase prototype from that manufacturer. I don't think I've picked up a copy twice since, and didn't notice anything amiss when I was approving the traycase prototype. For me, life had moved on to newer books in production and contracts, etc.

That said, there's no way books should have been sent from the printer with these issues, and I'll be taking that up with them. By the same token, my shipping crew is usually very good at weeding out those books in a print run that don't make the cut. My guess is that they have been shipping the best copies -- I know there are rejects, because I've seen (but not closely examined) that pile.

I hope to know more in the coming days, and will share what I learn. This won't be a lightning fast process, though. Once I bring my printer into the process, they'll want to thoroughly investigate things on their end before getting back to me. Sometimes this is a matter of a few days; sometimes it takes weeks.

Best,

Bill

Page 86 of 117 FirstFirst ... 36 76 84 85 86 87 88 96 ... LastLast