49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fine no problem with rubbing

14 28.57%
  • Damaged due to rubbing/ink transfer

35 71.43%
Page 62 of 117 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 112 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2918

Thread: The Shining S/L from Subterranean Press

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

I'm loving Rahfa's posts on this topic, and largely agree with him on his various well-stated points. Fortunately, the impending crisis that he foresees has little real impact on my purchasing decisions, as resale value rarely enters my decision on what to buy. Budgetary constraints and personal desire are what drives my book buying, and have for the last 25 years of "collecting"...I guess I might term myself more of a reader and accumulator than a collector. I buy the books that appeal me by authors whom I truly enjoy...the only books that I resell are those I don't care for or those I've upgraded their edition or state; my somewhat obsessive personality makes the act of getting rid of books frankly a bit difficult (though, fortunately, I haven't entered a hoarding stage yet ). For me, then, falling resale values isn't so much a negative as an opportunity...but I certainly understand perspective of those for whom resale value and the economic collectibility of their books are key to their purchasing decisions -- and, of course, the broad ramifications such declines have on the overall market and anyone involved in it, since when publishers shutter their operations due to dissatisfied, migrating customers that affects everyone, even stalwart folks like me, since it reduces choice.

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Just to keep this on-topic, I will use this Shining S/L as a perfect example of a book I def. would have gotten in year's past, but now I'm not going to bother.

Also, to agree with Doctor Zaius, I think SK is helping these publishers by keeping these books coming, and I have to believe that's on purpose. And good for him! Again, the publisher should def. make the most money from each publication - the collectors and speculators should have to work much harder (which wasn't always the case 10 years ago). So I think that's great.

I agree with RC65 too - I have my core books I care about. Everything else is totally expendable and I'd sell in two seconds if I got motivated to write up an ebay listing.

My negativity is only as a collector/hobbyist, not about prices high or low, because I think when SK does eventually stop signing or writing, I don't know anyone who will fill that void to keep collectors motivated, and this glut of books means they won't be scarce anyway. That's when the bottom drops out.

It's not the economics I have an issue with - I'm happy to lose money on something I think is really neat...but I want to feel a sense of pride that I managed to get it in the first place, and that's been diminishing of late. Who knows, though - the future paper costs Brian mentioned might mean the scarcity aspect comes back stronger than ever.

Again - very excited about The Shining getting the S/L, even if I'm not a purchaser. Deserves it! (on-topic)

("Crisis" as RC65 put it, is a bit strong a word to apply to book collecting - sorry if that's what I implied this was... haha...:-)

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

Quote Originally Posted by Rahfa View Post
    Just to keep this on-topic, I will use this Shining S/L as a perfect example of a book I def. would have gotten in year's past, but now I'm not going to bother.

Also, to agree with Doctor Zaius, I think SK is helping these publishers by keeping these books coming, and I have to believe that's on purpose. And good for him! Again, the publisher should def. make the most money from each publication - the collectors and speculators should have to work much harder (which wasn't always the case 10 years ago). So I think that's great.

My negativity is only as a collector/hobbyist, not about prices high or low, because I think when SK does eventually stop signing or writing, I don't know anyone who will fill that void to keep collectors motivated, and this glut of books means they won't be scarce anyway. That's when the bottom drops out.

It's not the economics I have an issue with - I'm happy to lose money on something I think is really neat...but I want to feel a sense of pride that I managed to get it in the first place, and that's been diminishing of late. Who knows, though - the future paper costs Brian mentioned might mean the scarcity aspect comes back stronger than ever.

Again - very excited about The Shining getting the S/L, even if I'm not a purchaser. Deserves it! (on-topic)
    I think that when SK stops writing/signing the bottom will NOT drop out. People will be searching high and low for his books and sigs, and demand/scarcity will go up due to books being sucked up into permanent collections.

I am very much looking forward to seeing what Bill comes up with The Shining. It should be a beautiful edition!

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Rabid Billybumbler Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold Rahfa is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    I think that when SK stops writing/signing the bottom will NOT drop out. People will be searching high and low for his books and sigs, and demand/scarcity will go up due to books being sucked up into permanent collections.
    There'll def. be a spike at first - but the signed books are not that scarce, and no collection is permanent unless you're buried with it or burn it on a pyre. Plus, history has shown that after a while, interest in celebrities start to wane - today's kid is way more interested in LeBron James than Michael Jordan, and they're not interested in Larry Bird at all.

So we're looking at it from our perspective, but to readers/collectors 30 years from now, SK will be a famous author from some past time, not a current celebrity or relatable figure, and that does affect people's interest in what they collect - especially if there's no true shortage of collectible items. The same number of signed/limited books available right now, today, will be about the same number that physically exist 50 years from now; that never-changing inventory (actually growing, since he's still signing) is not going to increase their longterm value, 15 or 20 years from now; it will stagnate first, then drop as interest wanes.

Citizen of Gilead barlow will become famous soon enough barlow's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    I know Chadbourne and "rats" is a bit of an inside joke here, is that what it refers to, him only drawing rats on his remarque?
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    But I did like the rarity/scarcity/competition of "earning" my S/L editions in the early 2000s, when it felt like I was accomplishing something by working and scouring auctions and book sites for books that didn't show up ALL the time. Now, it's just like "I'll buy the stupid thing," and there's no game to it. And that's what's lost with this stream of S/Ls....but from the publisher standpoint, it's great, because you're making the money on the first sale and that's all that should matter. I'm talking the longterm health of the collecting hobby, and that's where I see the problems ahead.

I'm just a negative nelly, though. :-)
    Ha, I love your last line because that's actually where I'm coming from a lot of the time on other things.

I definitely agree with a lot of what you have to say. I'm also just quoting the paragraph above because I agree so completely with that statement.

When I was in high school, I saw my first Limited Edition anything. The Waldenbooks where I worked received 5 copies of Wizard & Glass from Donald Grant and I fell in love with the whole idea of these "nicer" editions. The Internet was still in its infancy then, but I was able to find groups of collectors to talk to and start talking to stores like Overlook, Camelot, Zeising, Betts, etc, about building a collection and how to find more books like this. It was a challenge and it was fun.

I don't know what the future holds for Limited Editions or the market. I wonder what these old fashioned print editions will mean to people in 20 or 30 years when almost everything is digital simply because of costs. Will these paper editions be MORE valuable to us old timers who treasure holding a real book in our hands? Will most people simply forget the pleasure of holding and reading and owning a printed and bound book?

(Related note: I've seen paper cost trend estimates for 2025 showing a regular mass market paperback book at $15 to $20 and a normal trade hardcover at $40 to $50 simply due to the cost of paper and manufacturing. How many people would be "pushed" to the $9.99 and below eBooks by that kind of retail price on a print edition?)

Brian

P.S. My apologies if these posts are getting too far off the topic of this thread.
    Thanks for the production cost information Brian. I remember when I was working at Borders about 6 years ago and was shelving a stray mass market edition (one of the new slightly taller ones that didn't fit on our shelves). I looked at the price and thought holly shit these are getting expensive. Spending money on nice signed limiteds never bothered me, but strangly I was shocked by the $10.00 mass market paperback! And to get back on thread topic. I have never been able to afford to drop $ 2,500 on a lettered King book, so being able to add a Remarque (limited to fifty on a sprcial bound in page) to my numbered edition of The Shining makes my limited edition copy of my favorite book a little more special to me. I missed out on the Doctor Sleep one by Chong but was able to get one of the Wells remarques in that one, so it will make a cool matched numbered set. I don't mind the variations on the three images, if I were to ask him to draw a requested scene those three would all be up at the top.

Ken

Goldmember carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute carlosdetweiller has a reputation beyond repute

I have nothing to add to this discussion. I just wanted to thank Rahfa and Brian (and others) for the very interesting and well written posts. Lots of well thought out points and personal insights. It takes a lot of time, thought and effort to make posts like that and I, for one, appreciate the efforts and enjoyed reading every word.

Gunslinger Apprentice RIC #520 will become famous soon enough RIC #520 will become famous soon enough

Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    Whatever the reason it hasnt sold out I dont think it really matters. Not to me anyway. IT GE is a very good example. It was available for a YEAR and I didnt get one then kicked myself later. And then jumping thru hoops to try to get one at a reasonable price was even more fun. (Thanks again to the anonymous donor BTW). It took a year to sell out but notice how few are available in the secondary market? I promised myself I wouldnt make that mistake again.
    I actually purchased IT GE directly from CD for 50% off. I purchased a gift card on a 50% off deal, and purchased IT with the card. If you purchase from CD and get on their mailing list, they offer some really good deals sometimes. The offer may be for 2 or 3 days only, so you have to act quickly...
    Wanted:
    DT1 Gunslinger S/L #96
    Any DT or DT related books #96

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I used a 50% off gift certificate for part purchase of my s/l Dr Sleep. Can't go wrong with their gift certificate deals!

Quote Originally Posted by RIC #520 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TwistedNadine View Post
    Whatever the reason it hasnt sold out I dont think it really matters. Not to me anyway. IT GE is a very good example. It was available for a YEAR and I didnt get one then kicked myself later. And then jumping thru hoops to try to get one at a reasonable price was even more fun. (Thanks again to the anonymous donor BTW). It took a year to sell out but notice how few are available in the secondary market? I promised myself I wouldnt make that mistake again.
    I actually purchased IT GE directly from CD for 50% off. I purchased a gift card on a 50% off deal, and purchased IT with the card. If you purchase from CD and get on their mailing list, they offer some really good deals sometimes. The offer may be for 2 or 3 days only, so you have to act quickly...
    I think that's called "rubbing it in" to reply with that message.

Brian
    Founder and publisher of Lividian Publications. My other website is BrianJamesFreeman.com. Please always feel free to email me or send me a PM if you have any questions about either!

Big Coffin Hunter Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing has a reputation beyond repute Ari_Racing's Avatar

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Country
    Country Flag

Very interesting insights. Thanks all for sharing!
    Wanted list:
    Ubris

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    I have nothing to add to this discussion. I just wanted to thank Rahfa and Brian (and others) for the very interesting and well written posts. Lots of well thought out points and personal insights. It takes a lot of time, thought and effort to make posts like that and I, for one, appreciate the efforts and enjoyed reading every word.
    Ditto and also well said
    reality continues to ruin my life

You pick something TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine is a splendid one to behold TwistedNadine's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RIC #520 View Post
    I think that's called "rubbing it in" to reply with that message.
    Brian
    Nah, nothing being rubbed in. I had a50% off coupon and IT GE was still available (and if I recall was eligible for the discount). After much hemming and hawing I ended up not using the coupon to purchase it. I just wasnt very interested in it at the time for whatever reason
    reality continues to ruin my life

Clown on the Bus Dano has a spectacular aura about Dano has a spectacular aura about Dano's Avatar

My Mood
    Happy
    Country
    Country Flag

Great information. Thank you!

Dan

Country
    Country Flag

There is a new notice email from Sub Press about The Shining going to the printer. With this is a new variation of the dust jacket with the title an name swaped, maybe they do read this thread!

Ken

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by barlow View Post
    There is a new notice email from Sub Press about The Shining going to the printer. With this is a new variation of the dust jacket with the title an name swaped, maybe they do read this thread!

Ken
    Rearrangement looks good.

Guardian of the Beam ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky is just really nice ELazansky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Ken
    Only the Gift Edition is on its way to the printer, not the S/L

Demon of the Prim RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65 is a glorious beacon of light RC65's Avatar

I know why I opted for the Gift rather than the S/L -- read: price -- but I'm having more pangs of regret about this one than any other recent book-purchasing decision. I'd probably still opt to do the same thing given another chance...but still.

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post

Ken
    Only the Gift Edition is on its way to the printer, not the S/L
    I know the email said the limited will be going to the other printer in a few weeks, but hopefully that means they will get it out on schedule.

Ken

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I'll second that the new cover's font looks a LOT better with The Shining in big letters and King's name in small. I mean I'd still prefer another scene for the cover but this makes a big difference IMO.

Also in regards to some earlier questions about multiple printers, they had this to add.

It's highly unusual for us to use two different printers for a job—in fact, in more than 500 books spread across 18 years, this marks the first time. The secondary printer will be able to produce the slipcases for the Gift Edition, but wouldn't be able to provide us with the full Limited Edition print run with the number of signature sheets we have. The latter will be no problem for our regular printer.
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Can Toi WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future WeDealInLead has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Today's email:

"The Shining (Stephen King) is progressing nicely at both printers. We've already suffered a few bumps along the way, which mean the book won't make its November deadline. We'll update you as soon as we have more information."

Bummer.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

We'll be lucky to see this by March. Should have been Centipede!

Let the Right One In CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface has much to be proud of CyberGhostface's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Update from Sub Press:

Stephen King's The Shining is running a bit late, but you knew that already, right?

Here’s a brief history and update on the project:

When Steve chose to let us publish Limited and Gift Editions of The Shining, we scheduled a production meeting with our usual printer, Thomson-Shore (who we cannot recommend highly enough, by the way.)

At the meeting, we made it clear that the entire print job was to be theirs, provided they could handle the slipcases for the Gift Edition. They don't produce slipcases in house, and didn’t have a company they were comfortable in partnering with on this, so we made the decision to use Leo USA (who produced my favorite Neil Gaiman limited, Neverwhere) for the Gift Edition.

Copies of the Gift Edition will be done in the next week, and will ship to us from Hong Kong. With travel time, and the need to clear customs, we hope to begin shipping this edition in mid-January.

The Signed, Limited Edition resides with Thomson-Shore. We commissioned hand marbled paper for part of the binding (with the spine of each book being cloth). Now that everything is in hand, T-S tells us that the Limited will be printed November 26.

As soon as the Limited Edition is done, we’ll send a copy out to Kater-Craft, in California, who will handle the traycases. These will take a few months. We’ll update folks again as soon as we have a firm date from them.

The Signed Lettered Edition is being hand bound at Kater-Craft, and will likely be finished early in the Spring.

That’s where things stand at the moment. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to drop me an email.

Before I’m out of your hair, I should add that we’ve seen sample bindings, the printed but unbound book, the color plates, and the other assorted by-products of producing a book, and everything looks just stunning.

Best,
    Bill
    A hound will die for you, but never lie to you. And he'll look you straight in the face.

My Collection

Goldmember Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future Kingfan24 has a brilliant future

My Mood
    Inspired

was wondering when we would get an update... not happy about what I'm hearing though.

Hong Kong... Really?

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfan24 View Post
    was wondering when we would get an update... not happy about what I'm hearing though.

Hong Kong... Really?
    Why sweat about it? It's a commemorative book, not a new story.

Page 62 of 117 FirstFirst ... 12 52 60 61 62 63 64 72 112 ... LastLast