Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fine no problem with rubbing

14 28.57%
  • Damaged due to rubbing/ink transfer

35 71.43%
Page 3 of 117 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast

Thread: The Shining S/L from Subterranean Press

Other worlds Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick has a reputation beyond repute Patrick's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by carlosdetweiller View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    All morning I have been wondering why they announced the book today but will not take orders until Jan. 2013? Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this to me?
    I'd guess it's because:

1. They wanted to control the news and may have been concerned about it leaking out elsewhere first.

2. As a small print publisher getting a project like this, I bet they are excited and it's fun to tell the people you know will appreciate it rather than sit on the secret longer than they already have.

and

3. The King people said they could announce.

If Subterranean is granted the rights to publish a DR. SLEEP limited edition down the road, is owning THE SHINING likely to give you first right of refusal for a matching number/letter? (I don't know how Subterranean operates when it comes to sequels.)
    Well, the news was already out to some extent so perhaps you are right on #1. And the other guesses are good too. The more I think about it the more I think it has to do with taxes. For whatever reason Subterranean Press wants the income to occur in 2013 rather than 2012. The taxes on the pre-orders would be due April 15, 2013 if they started taking orders now vs. April 15, 2014 if they wait until Jan. 2013 to start taking orders. That is still just a guess on my part.
    Delaying tax payments would be a good reason too. Smart thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by shaq View Post
    I suppose announcing now will give SP lots of attention leading up to January and great opportunity to promote over the next 2 months, showing snippets of art and stuff, helping to sell those gift editions, although 1500 isn't that high, I'd imagine they sell pretty quickly?
    Good point as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cutter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    All morning I have been wondering why they announced the book today but will not take orders until Jan. 2013? Can anyone explain the reasoning behind this to me?
    If Subterranean is granted the rights to publish a DR. SLEEP limited edition down the road, is owning THE SHINING likely to give you first right of refusal for a matching number/letter? (I don't know how Subterranean operates when it comes to sequels.)
    From the years of buying sub press books I will say Bill is pretty good about keeping customer numbers for books published by Sub Press that are by the same author. I've received personal emails by Bill asking if I wanted to match a number if I forgot to request it. I would assume he would do the same if they got Dr. Sleep.
    Thanks. I own a fair number of Sub Press books, but many were purchased on the secondary market. This is good to hear.
    "...that Siren which called and sang and promised so much and gave, after all, so little." ~ Ray Bradbury

Vagrant Dead frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik is a splendid one to behold frik's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by frik View Post
    Gift edition: yes!
    Numbered: yes!
    Lettered: have to think about that one.....

sk
    Did me some thinking...NO lettered ed. for me this time.

sk

World Leader Pretend Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs is a splendid one to behold Scoogs's Avatar

My Mood
    Fine
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, the news was already out to some extent so perhaps you are right on #1. And the other guesses are good too. The more I think about it the more I think it has to do with taxes. For whatever reason Subterranean Press wants the income to occur in 2013 rather than 2012. The taxes on the pre-orders would be due April 15, 2013 if they started taking orders now vs. April 15, 2014 if they wait until Jan. 2013 to start taking orders. That is still just a guess on my part.
    Good points.
    Of course January is also the slowest retail month of the year (after Christmas returns). I can only imagine that it's even slower for a small press. Sub has now guaranteed themselves a very healthy number of sales in place of that slump.

I'm actually glad the pre-order is delayed a couple of months. That gives me time to recover from the last couple of remarques and have some cash saved up for this one.
    Mark Twain

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

Just my two cents, but this edition will have a ton of art comparatively and a "Limited" was never done for the original (Correct?). So, with "Dr. Sleep" due, which I am assuming will have a Limited, makes sense to issue a Ltd for the original now. Though I agree, he could have added something to it to make it more special. Guess he's getting older and just doesn't value the details as much?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I've never purchased from Subterranean before. Do they take payment up front? Or upon shipping the book?

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
    I've never purchased from Subterranean before. Do they take payment up front? Or upon shipping the book?
    I asked this via the email provided at the website. They collect payment when the order is placed. So yeah, that's a long time to have our money ://

Can Toi Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck has a reputation beyond repute Jimimck's Avatar

New Zealand (pronounced Noo Zeeland if you want to get the accent right...)
    My Mood
    Angelic
    Country
    Country Flag

Thanks for that.

I was curious as to the differences between the different editions, and asked what, if any, there may be (outside the obvious). This was the reply I received:

"The content in all three will be the same. The lettered will feature a different binding, and a Remarque by the artist."

I had specifically asked if there would be different cover art, but as you can see, there is no confirmation or otherwise.

Gunslinger Apprentice neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus will become famous soon enough neosatus's Avatar

Thanks for that.

I was curious as to the differences between the different editions, and asked what, if any, there may be (outside the obvious). This was the reply I received:

"The content in all three will be the same. The lettered will feature a different binding, and a Remarque by the artist."

I had specifically asked if there would be different cover art, but as you can see, there is no confirmation or otherwise.
    That's actually a really good question. SP isn't especially known for their "exterior" of books (i.e. dust jackets, slip/tray cases etc.)
    So it wouldn't surprise me at all if the covers were all the same and on the drab side.

Then again, it is a SK title so maybe they will go all out.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by neosatus View Post
    Thanks for that.

That's actually a really good question. SP isn't especially known for their "exterior" of books (i.e. dust jackets, slip/tray cases etc.)
    So it wouldn't surprise me at all if the covers were all the same and on the drab side.

Then again, it is a SK title so maybe they will go all out.
    My guess is the artist will be doing a cover painting along with the interiors.

Gunslinger Apprentice JasonUK is on a distinguished road

My Mood
    Happy

I posted my thoughts on this at another forum, but thought I would share them here too.

As the limited edition is signed by King and is also traycased, presumably the extra $2,000 for the lettered will be solely used for higher quality materials.

Unless it's another price gouge similar to the one Gauntlet tried with their King-signed lettered edition of Masques Illustrated. Only 52 copies at $1500, but still available on their website despite discounts offered in their newsletter.

Even if it is the later, I think Sub Press might get away with it because The Shining is such a treasured book.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Antholgies don't seem to have the same appeal as novels.

Demon of the Prim Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter has a spectacular aura about Cutter's Avatar

My Mood
    Lurking
    Country
    Country Flag

Of note, Sub Press did The Green Mile, which I think should give us an idea of what we should expect from The Shining. Also if you bought Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book and/or Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles from Sub Press it'll also give you an idea. All these were high priced books (the Green Mile was ridiculously priced), but also high quality publications from Sub Press - they were crafted much better than the usual Sub Press Limited Editions - and I expect the same for this type of money (I'll be severely disappointed if not). Also of note, none of these books used dust jackets, and I'm glad they did not, as the books themselves were very attractive and a dust jacket would have made them look like a regular book.
    Geoff

Citizen of Gilead Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer has a spectacular aura about Lauterer's Avatar

My Mood
    Devilish

So what do yu think... to expensive or not??? 3500 is a lot of money

Owner Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg is loved more than Jesus Randall Flagg's Avatar

North of "The Claw" & Patrick, East of Chad, RIP Bill Bender
    My Mood
    Pensive
    Country
    Country Flag

I think the Lettered is more than I can afford, but given their production values in the past, Sub Press will sell them fairly quickly. With 40 illustrations and one of King's iconic books there won't be copies offered at 67% off.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Of note, Sub Press did The Green Mile, which I think should give us an idea of what we should expect from The Shining. Also if you bought Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book and/or Ray Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles from Sub Press it'll also give you an idea. All these were high priced books (the Green Mile was ridiculously priced), but also high quality publications from Sub Press - they were crafted much better than the usual Sub Press Limited Editions - and I expect the same for this type of money (I'll be severely disappointed if not). Also of note, none of these books used dust jackets, and I'm glad they did not, as the books themselves were very attractive and a dust jacket would have made them look like a regular book.
    I was just thinking about the Lettered Green Mile too. Was there any copy of the lettered Green Mile that was resold at all in the secondary market?. I don't believe I remember seeing any.

Goldmember Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future Mr. Rabbit Trick has a brilliant future

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Fsmdr View Post
    I was just thinking about the Lettered Green Mile too. Was there any copy of the lettered Green Mile that was resold at all in the secondary market?. I don't believe I remember seeing any.
    I've seen several. I bought mine on the secondary market. Betts have sold 2 since David took over.

Servant of Gan Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr is just really nice Fsmdr's Avatar

My Mood
    Stressed

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Rabbit Trick View Post
    I've seen several. I bought mine on the secondary market. Betts have sold 2 since David took over.
    How was the secondary value price on those?. If you don't mind.

My Mood
    Happy

Antholgies don't seem to have the same appeal as novels.
    The point I'm making, is not whether the books will sell, which I'm positive they will, but whether the quality of the materials used for the lettered edition will justify $2,500.

My Mood
    Happy

Of note, Sub Press did The Green Mile, which I think should give us an idea of what we should expect from The Shining.
    That would be very worrying. The limited of The Green Mile is much better quality than the lettered IMO. The limiteds are quarter bound in leather, the lettereds are just cloth.

Citizen of Gilead mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean has a spectacular aura about mattgreenbean's Avatar

My Mood
    Cool
    Country
    Country Flag

Well, I'll have a nice little Shining collection when I get this and my Overlook Connection set. http://overlookconnection.com/catalo...ng-p-6988.html
    "That which you think, becomes your world" Matheson

Country
    Country Flag

Lettered "LL" sold for $2000
    Lettered "Q" sold for $2500

I paid $2200 for mine.

Servant of Gan Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears is a splendid one to behold Ben Mears's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ELazansky View Post
    I have - she's done some illustrations for Neil Gaiman S/L editions - Anansi Boys and Melinda
    Art is a very subjective medium and it can be difficult to find a balance between expectations and execution. Based on her website samples I'm not convinced Dagmara Matuszak is the right artist for The Shining. Part of that concern is on the sheer number of pieces (40) that are to be included in the book. Sometimes less is more and my preference would be for a cover image, title page image, and five part opener images. The Shining is a very stark, stripped down story and the art should reflect that mood. I was fortunate to see much of the design Centipede Press had planned for their limited of The Shining and that is the standard I will measure the Subterranean version against. Not a criticism; just an observation.

My Mood
    Stressed

Lettered "LL" sold for $2000
    Lettered "Q" sold for $2500

I paid $2200 for mine.
    Appreciate the info, Mr R.T

Fundraiser Emeritus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958 is loved more than Jesus Merlin1958's Avatar

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

I may go for the GE, but not too enthused by this edition. If you want more art, there are still a few of these available...

http://www.thedarktower.org/?page=theshiningproject

The more I think about it the more I agree with others. There should be new content!!
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

The Houston Astros cheated Major League Baseball from 2017-18!!!! Is that how we teach our kids to play the game now?????

My Mood
    Breezy
    Country
    Country Flag

In light of recent news....

Bump?
    28 in 23 (?)!!!!

63 in '23!!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 117 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 103 ... LastLast