Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Bev Vincent--The Road to the Dark Tower

Psychopath William50 is on a distinguished road William50's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

That means that it really wasn't a spoiler then.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Bev Vincent View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ATG View Post
    Ok, sorry to double post, but jeez now I am seriously annoyed.

Mr. Vincent on page 87 of your book, in a section dedicated to The Waste Lands you spill the beans that
    Spoiler:
    Oy is killed by Morten!

Now I have to put your book aside until the I finish reading the series as no doubt there are other spoilers.

I'm curious, why did you feel the need to go there, and does it seem a flaw to you to give away important details taking place at the end of the series in a section regarding book three ?!?

signed,
    Still A Fan But Seriously Annoyed.
    I issued a warning in the book's opening pages that there would be serious spoilers from the onset. The Road to the Dark Tower is not intended for anyone who has yet to read all seven books. There's no way to discuss all the nuances of The Gunslinger, for example, without delving into the book's finale. My intention is to act as a tour guide, pointing out things people might have missed, and primary among these is the way King foreshadowed important events. Can't do that without revealing the thing being foreshadowed, which, perforce, takes place later in the series.

The only safe chapter to read if you haven't read all seven books is Chapter One, the chapter about the series' publication history.

Sir, I mean no disrespect, but there wasn't any reason to disclose the manner in which
    Spoiler:
    Oy died
    , it was extra text, author embellishment in my opinion. Especially considering that it took place in the context of discussion about The Waste Lands
    Still, I admire your work. I'll set it aside until I finish the series and then turn back to it.

Good to see you here to answer my gripe.
    Long days and pleasant nights, do ye ken it?
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

Sir, I mean no disrespect, but there wasn't any reason to disclose the manner in which
    Spoiler:
    Oy died,
    it was extra text, author embellishment in my opinion. Especially considering that it took place in the context of discussion about The Waste Lands
    The entire book is author embellishment. In my opinion, there's no point served in waiting until we actually reach an event to go back over the preceding text to show how and where significant events took place that heralded this event. That's the same experience the reader already has. The value in my commentary, I believe, is to say: look at that right there. This is a clear harbinger of what will happen five hundred pages from now. Did you notice that?

As I said before -- no one who hasn't read all seven books should be reading The Road to the Dark Tower. I want everyone to be on an equal footing so we can talk about everything -- no holds barred.

Sleep Controller ZoNeSeeK is on a distinguished road ZoNeSeeK's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I really enjoyed the analysis and its a very useful tool if you want to go back and re-read specific DT books without starting from the beginning again.

Bev: Did you receive any feedback from King?

ATG: The Road to the Dark Tower explores King's Magnum Opus as a complete work - its a little unwise to start looking at any kind of synopsis on the series until you've finished reading the entire thing, as you'll understand when you read the ending. Similarly, I'd stay away from the Concordance aswell until you've finished just incase you see something that ruins a major event for you. Even tdt.com only requires spoilers for any character deaths or series ending information.

Speaking of which, this entire conversation includes a spoiler that people may stumble upon without realising what we're discussing. Could a Keystone Rose mod mark out the spoiler above?
    "You can lead a whore to culture but you can't make her think." - Duma Key
    zoneseek@thedarktower.com

Goldmember NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings is just really nice NeedfulKings's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by ZoNeSeeK View Post

Speaking of which, this entire conversation includes a spoiler that people may stumble upon without realising what we're discussing. Could a Keystone Rose mod mark out the spoiler above?
    I second that request.

I used TRTTDT during my second read through of the series. I would read a book and then read Bev's discussion. It worked. Also, the related works he discusses are very interesting--again, I wouldn't read them until I've read the subject books.

Country
    Country Flag

I'm with that.
    I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago. - Edgar Allan Poe

Bunch together a group of people deliberately chosen for strong religious feelings, and you have a practical guarantee of dark morbidities expressed in crime, perversion, and insanity. - H.P. Lovecraft

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

I put them in but this site also has major disclaimers about [AUTOLINK]spoilers[/AUTOLINK], there is just so much we can do.

The only totally spoiler free area of the site is the book discussion forums in The Baronies.
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Citizen of Gilead ATG is on a distinguished road

Country
    Country Flag

My gripe is over and I return now to praise for Bevs work.
    "The Constitution shall never be construed....to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms" (Samuel Adams, Debates and Proceedings in the Convention of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, 86-87)

Word Slinger Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent has a brilliant future Bev Vincent's Avatar

I received some assistance from him during the writing process. I tried not to bug him too much, but I did fire off the occasional question about things that were unresolved (hence the footnote about Roland's siblings, for example).

The main feedback I received, though, was his cover blurb: "This wonderful book by Bev Vincent opens doors to Roland's world that not even I knew existed. If you like The Dark Tower books, you'll like this one. Enthusiastically recommended."

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I received some assistance from him during the writing process. I tried not to bug him too much, but I did fire off the occasional question about things that were unresolved (hence the footnote about Roland's siblings, for example).

The main feedback I received, though, was his cover blurb: "This wonderful book by Bev Vincent opens doors to Roland's world that not even I knew existed. If you like The Dark Tower books, you'll like this one. Enthusiastically recommended."
    ...and I'm sure you LOVED that little piece of feedback. It's well deserved too.
    The Awesomest fled across the desert and The Awesomer followed.

If you rescue me
    I’ll be your friend forever

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

Roont jayson is on a distinguished road

I finally picked up a copy this weekend and read it cover to cover. Excellent work Mr. Vincent!

It was almost as hard to put down as one of the seven books from the series. I agree that it is not something one should read before completing the series, but once you have finished it, I think Bev's book makes a great supplementary tome. There are some very intriguing questions posed in it, and like some of the ones we've been having here lately, they cause you constantly re-examine your view of Roland's quest.

Anyone who has finished the series but not read Bev's book, I would def rec picking it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice View Post
    ...and I'm sure you LOVED that little piece of feedback. It's well deserved too.
    I wasn't the only one who loved that feedback. My publisher was tickled pink to have such a glowing review to put on the front cover.

Roont Daghain is on a distinguished road Daghain's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Ok, sorry to double post, but jeez now I am seriously annoyed.

Mr. Vincent on page 87 of your book, in a section dedicated to The Waste Lands you spill the beans that
    Spoiler:
    Oy is killed by Morten!

Now I have to put your book aside until the I finish reading the series as no doubt there are other spoilers.

I'm curious, why did you feel the need to go there, and does it seem a flaw to you to give away important details taking place at the end of the series in a section regarding book three ?!?

signed,
    Still A Fan But Seriously Annoyed.
    I issued a warning in the book's opening pages that there would be serious spoilers from the onset. The Road to the Dark Tower is not intended for anyone who has yet to read all seven books. There's no way to discuss all the nuances of The Gunslinger, for example, without delving into the book's finale. My intention is to act as a tour guide, pointing out things people might have missed, and primary among these is the way King foreshadowed important events. Can't do that without revealing the thing being foreshadowed, which, perforce, takes place later in the series.

The only safe chapter to read if you haven't read all seven books is Chapter One, the chapter about the series' publication history.

I can vouch for that.

"People, especially children, aren't measured by their IQ. What's important about them is whether they're good or bad, and these children are bad." ~ Alan Bernard

"You needn't die happy when your day comes, but you must die satisfied, for you have lived your life from beginning to end and ka is always served." ~ Roland Deschain

Goldmember Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin will become famous soon enough Kevin's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

When I first saw Bev Vincent on .com, I almost had a heart attack.

I think TRTTDT is an amazing addi(c)tion to the series, it is right after DT7 on my book shelf. Thanks so much for providing your incredible insight into the series, and continuing that on here as well. You rock!

Now if only SK was here...sigh...

Roont Matt will become famous soon enough Matt will become famous soon enough Matt's Avatar

My Mood
    Psychedelic
    Country
    Country Flag

It is a very big honor to have him as a member for sure.

And you never know, King might poke around here from time to time--dream a little dream I say!
    The kindness of close friends is like a warm blanket

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    And you never know, King might poke around here from time to time--dream a little dream I say!
    Yes and he will finally tell you you are wrong about whether or not Roland has to drop Jake and I will laugh and laugh!!!

Roont Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice has much to be proud of Brice's Avatar

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

I suspect if he ever did drop by he'd be unlikely to let anyone know it was him.

If you rescue me

I wish that I could write fiction, but that seems almost an impossibility. -howard phillips lovecraft (1915)

It's you isn't it Brice?

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G View Post
    It's you isn't it Brice?

Ummm....no, pictures and stuff like that could be faked. However since I've met with one member of the site, well that would be kinda' difficult to fake.

If you rescue me

Citizen of Gilead TerribleT is on a distinguished road TerribleT's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

Yes and he will finally tell you you are wrong about whether or not Roland has to drop Jake and I will laugh and laugh!!!
    LMAO!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!! What HE said!!!!!

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

and I won't laugh... because in my opinion, now that the book is finished and published, Mr King's opinion of what happened, didn't happen, should have happened or would happen there is of exactly as much value as Matt's.

(yes, I know that your point of view is diametrically opposite... I hope we'll go back to that some day)

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Country
    Country Flag

I went to Borders the other day and did not see the book. Is it hard to find?

Quote Originally Posted by William50 View Post
    I actually had to go to two Borders this past weekend to find it.

DT.Org's Official Sweetie Wuducynn will become famous soon enough Wuducynn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by William50 View Post
    It sometimes is hard to find. Be sure to look under 'V' authors, not King. Also, I've had better luck with Barnes and Noble.
    "It's his eyes, Roland thought. They were wide and terrible, the eyes of a dragon in human form" - Roland seeing the Crimson King for the first time.

"When the King comes and the Tower falls, sai, all such pretty things as yours will be broken. Then there will be darkness and nothing but the howl of Discordia and the cries of the can toi" - From Song of Susannah

Hiiiiiiii. Spencer will become famous soon enough Spencer's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

If anyone is interested in reading my most recently published short story, visit http://www.horrorworld.org during the month of January. It's up now: In a Country Churchyard.
    I'll definitely check that out!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast