Donate To Keep The Site Ad Free
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Your 25 Favorite Movies

Breaker Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode has a brilliant future Iwritecode's Avatar

Just off the top of my head and in no particular order:

Liar Liar
    Bruce Almighty
    Spaceballs
    Loaded Weapon 1
    Robin Hood Men in Tights
    The Princess Bride
    Hot Shots
    Major League
    Airplane
    Naked Gun Trilogy
    Click
    The Family Man
    Rocky IV
    Office Space
    Toy Story Trilogy
    Aladin
    Army of Darkness
    Shawshank Redemption
    Stand By Me
    The Crow
    Lost Boys
    Bill & Ted’s Bogus Journey
    Christmas Vacation
    A Christmas Story
    The Santa Clause Trilogy

It’s a little more than 25 with the trilogies thrown in. It’s pretty heavy on comedies since typically my idea of a good movie is one that makes me laugh. Even the one horror movie I threw in is more of a horror/comedy.

Honorable mentions:

Police Academy franchise
    Star Wars franchise
    Blade trilogy
    LOTR trilogy
    Back to the Future Trilogy
    Billy Madison
    Happy Gilmore
    Monster’s Inc
    The Incredibles
    The Pursuit of Happyness
    The rest of the Rocky movies

Millionth Post Club divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster has much to be proud of divemaster's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

The only way I can make this a meaningful effort is to separate my lists into Asian film and “everything else”

25 favorite films (Asian)

Korean
    A Tale of Two Sisters
    The Harmonium in My Memory
    The Classic
    Secret Sunshine
    Romance of Their Own
    No Blood, No Tears
    A Moment to Remember

Japanese
    Floating Weeds
    Spirited Away
    Ikiru
    The Mystery of Rampo
    Battle Royale
    Red Beard
    Angel Dust
    Harakiri

Chinese/Hong Kong
    Sex & Zen
    Wing Chun
    Iron Monkey
    Infernal Affairs
    House of Flying Daggers
    Hero
    Hard Boiled
    Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
    Comrades, Almost a Love Story
    The Bride with White Hair

25 favorite films (non-Asian)

Airplane!
    Cinema Paradiso
    Dark City
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Forrest Gump
    Goodfellas
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    The Hudsucker Proxy
    Jacob's Ladder
    Kill Bill Vol. I / Vol. 2
    Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels
    Mamma Mia!
    Mulholland Dr.
    Pulp Fiction
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Re-Animator
    Scaramouche
    Sin City
    The Sixth Sense
    The Sting
    The Thing
    Tombstone
    True Romance
    Unforgiven
    You Can Count on Me

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Ugh ... Mulholland Drive. A movie so insane that not even the director knows what it's about.

I WILL say that it has a couple of great scenes. Especially the Club Silencio scene. Tears, every time. And i don't even know why. Lol

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Mulholland Dr. is an amazing movie. The atmosphere that permeates just about every scene in the film is amazing. It's a cousin of sorts to Inland Empire.

Gojo fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito seldom gets put on hold fernandito's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Alphabetical order to avoid headaches.

A Clockwork Orange
    Blade Runner
    Casablanca
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
    Fight Club
    Goodfellas
    Jurassic Park
    Leon (The Professional)
    Lord of the Rings : Return of the King
    No Country For Old Men
    Old Boy
    One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
    Platoon
    Predator
    Pulp Fiction
    Star Wars : The Empire Strikes Back
    Terminator 2
    The Dark Knight
    The Godfather
    The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
    The Pianist
    The Thing
    The Usual Suspects
    There Will Be Blood
    Yojimbo

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    Mulholland Dr. is an amazing movie. The atmosphere that permeates just about every scene in the film is amazing. It's a cousin of sorts to Inland Empire.
    Ah, I do love some insanity in my films. (Another reason why I love Life on Mars so much. Hint, hint.)

In no particular order (with the exception of the first 3), here's the top 25 that spring to mind. I'll expect this to change over the coming months.
    Withnail & I
    Quadrophenia
    This Is England
    Infernal Affairs
    The Departed
    Shaun of the Dead
    Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
    Four Lions
    In the Loop
    This is Spinal Tap
    Almost Famous
    Blade Runner
    Pan's Labyrinth
    Hellboy
    The Godfather: Part 2
    Ghost in the Shell
    (500) Days of Summer
    Annie Hall
    The Dark Knight
    The Thing
    Clerks
    28 Days Later
    Halloween
    Chinatown
    The Good, The Bad & The Ugly
    Never be cruel and never be cowardly. And if you ever are, always make amends.

You are a walking talking Doctor Who encyclopedia to me.
    - Melike

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I don't think I will ever understand the love for Blade Runner.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

Great Old One DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge is a glorious beacon of light DoctorDodge's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw

It took a couple of gos for me to "get" it, but once I did, I really began to like it, before subsequently loving it. I think the biggest problem with the film is, nine times out of ten, people expect an action scifi fest like Star Wars or other such films, maybe due to the way it's advertised or the way it's incredibly hyped up. That was definitely my problem when I first saw it, I think. The first time, it was ruined by expecting something it wasn't, the second, I knew what to expect, and took it as it was.

- Melike

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky View Post
    I adore that film, but I can defintely see where it can receive polarizing views. I guess the general consensus is that sci-fi films are usually loud and flashy and overly saturated with special effects and outlandish characters. But BR is a stark contrast - slow, plodding, methodical, dark in both tone in and story, relatively light on action but allegorical in nature. It also laid the ground work for many cyberpunk tropes that we take for granted today.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by feverishparade View Post
    I adore that film, but I can defintely see where it can receive polarizing views. I guess the general consensus is that sci-fi films are usually loud and flashy and overly saturated with special effects and outlandish characters. But BR is a stark contrast - slow, plodding, methodical, dark in both tone in and story, relatively light on action but allegorical in nature. It also laid the ground work for many cyberpunk tropes that we take for granted today.
    Perfectly stated, bro.

- Melike

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

DD - no Bridge on the River Kwai? Delicatessen? And do you think Chinatown is better than The Tenant (or Cul-de-Sac)? I am not even asking what films like The Thing or 28 Days Later are doing on a top 25 (not top 250) list, because I understand that everyone has their own little weaknesses...

Love your top 3... high time I revised my own list...

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S P I R A L Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky has a brilliant future Ricky's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? before watching Blade Runner, so I'm sure that had something to do with my opinion. I really liked the novel, but the film adaptation was just so off in terms of following the book that I didn't really care for it. I felt that BR was trying too hard to be futuristic whereas the novel was more subtle and "real."
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

The Tenant Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean has a brilliant future Jean's Avatar

Country
    Country Flag

I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? before watching Blade Runner, so I'm sure that had something to do with my opinion. I really liked the novel, but the film adaptation was just so off in terms of following the book that I didn't really care for it. I felt that BR was trying too hard to be futuristic whereas the novel was more subtle and "real."
    same here

Ask not what bears can do for you, but what you can do for bears. (razz)
    When one is in agreement with bears one is always correct. (mae)

bears are back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah, I try to view the novel and the film as two seperate entities. I love both the novel and the film for One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, but they are vastly different in many ways. Same with A Clockwork Orange and The Shining. Different facets of a central theme.

Country
    Country Flag

I do as well, but sometimes it's hard not to compare the two...especially when one medium is vastly more entertaining than the other (book, film, etc.). There are definitely cases where both written source material and film are able to stand successfully on their own, though. Just look at what Nolan did with The Prestige. It couldn't be MORE different from the novel, but it's fantastic in its own right.
    A NEW GAME BEGINS

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    DD - no Bridge on the River Kwai? Delicatessen? And do you think Chinatown is better than The Tenant (or Cul-de-Sac)? I am not even asking what films like The Thing or 28 Days Later are doing on a top 25 (not top 250) list, because I understand that everyone has their own little weaknesses...

Love your top 3... high time I revised my own list...
    Oh, i had forgotten Bridge and Delicatessen. Chinatown is a preference I have over The Tenant and Cul-de-Sac, as I just love the film noir style of it, but as for a few of the others...for the moment, consider it a list of "Favourite 25 films I've watched more than once". I will eventually revise it once I'm more sure, but most of the top 10, certainly the top 3, those I'm certain of having in my top 25 list.

- Melike

Don't. Get. Married. Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon people like to rub elbows with me Shannon's Avatar

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

OK, at home, with normal copy and paste options, lol. Here are my lists, and yes, I know they look a lot different than most of yours. A lot of the movies on a lot of your lists I have on my spreadsheet as being rated 3/5s ... or less, lol. Oh well. My lists:

Top Fifteen (Television):
    Battlestar Galactica (2003)
    Dawson's Creek
    Deadwood
    Firefly
    Friends
    Glee
    Jersey Shore
    Lost *** Top Spot
    Nip/Tuck
    The Office (2005)
    Prison Break
    Smallville
    Spartacus
    True Blood
    The Walking Dead

Potential Top Fifteen material (depending on future seasons): American Horror Story, Game Of Thrones

Top Thirty (Movies):
    12 Angry Men (1957)
    Aliens
    Anchorman
    The Chronicles Of Riddick
    Closer
    Con Air
    The Dark Knight
    Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
    The Family Stone
    Gladiator *** Top Spot
    Inception
    Interview With The Vampire
    The Life Of David Gale
    The Lion King
    Love Actually
    The Majestic
    Meet Joe Black
    Moulin Rouge
    The Notebook
    Old School
    The Prestige
    Pulp Fiction
    Rise Of The Planet Of The Apes
    Saving Private Ryan
    The Social Network
    Star Trek (2009)
    The Terminal
    Vanilla Sky
    Wedding Crashers
    Wicker Park

Gunslinger Apprentice beam*seeker will become famous soon enough beam*seeker's Avatar

My Mood
    Yeehaw
    Country
    Country Flag

In No Particular order...

25. The Departed
    24. Amadeus
    23, Goodfellas (yeah, best mobster flick, EVAH)
    22. Donnie Brasco (Fuhget about it)
    21. Natural Born Killers
    20. Trainspotting
    19. Once Upon A Time In Mexico
    18. 300
    17. Snatch
    16. Reservoir Dogs
    15. War of the Roses
    14. Evil Dead and Evil Dead 2
    13. Empire Strikes Back
    12. Fight Club
    11. No Country For Old Men
    10. The Matrix
    9. American Beauty
    8. Unforgiven
    7. Full Metal Jacket
    6. Tombstone
    5. Requiem for a Dream
    4. Planet Terror
    3. Men In Black
    2. Sin City
    1. Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
    People are always talking about truth.Everybody knows what the truth is,like it was toilet paper or somethin...All there is is bull*...One layer of bullshit on top of another...what you do in life...pick the layer of bull* that you prefer...

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Nice lists everyone, thanks for sharing!

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Be honest though, feev: I bet you were incredibly shocked that Doctor Who: The Movie wasn't top of the list, weren't ya?

Seriously, like feev said, great lists, guys. Nice to have a good idea of what boardmembers tastes are like. Pretty wide, it has to be said.

Quick question though, Shannon: no Life on Mars on your top tv list?!

- Melike

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

It's hard to say a show is on the list after only one season. Firefly is the obvious exception of course.

My Mood
    Yeehaw

Perhaps a fair point, but I'm hoping that, with season 2, (which we should be starting this week,) it'll make it onto the list.

- Melike

Guardian of the Beam alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto is a jewel in the rough alkanto's Avatar

My Mood
    Daring
    Country
    Country Flag

Let's see..this could easily change of course, but this is what I feel like right now, in no particular order:

1. Withnail & I
    2. This is England
    3. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World
    4. Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
    5. Dead Poets' Society
    6. 300
    7. Hellboy
    8. Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
    9. Moulin Rogue
    10. The Boondock Saints
    11. A Knight's Tale
    12. Serenity
    13. It's a Wonderful Life
    14. The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
    15. Donnie Darko
    16. Shaun of the Dead
    17. The Princess Bride
    18. Pan's Labyrinth
    19. Repo! The Genetic Opera
    20. Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog
    21. The Prestige
    22. V for Vendetta
    23. The Nightmare Before Christmas
    24. X-men: First Class
    25. Thor

My Mood
    Twisted
    Country
    Country Flag

Yeah Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog! Have you heard the musical commentary? It's so epic.

Rebel Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19 has a reputation beyond repute Heather19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    Yeah Dr Horrible's Sing-Along Blog! Have you heard the musical commentary? It's so epic.
    I didn't know there was such a thing! I'm gonna have to find it.
    Only the gentle are ever really strong.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast